Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
I agree that's probably how it will go down.

Now ask yourself this question...where is there use for a RH hitting PH in that scenario? Pinch hitting for De Aza and Gillaspie, and that's about it.

And Dunn of course.

How often do AL teams even pinch hit? I remember a thread about a month ago and weren't we near the bottom in the league in pinch hitting? Having PK on the bench will surely jump that number.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
Why did the White Sox use a roster spot for Angel Sanchez last year? Or Tyler Greene? And why were you not apoplectic about it? How much value did Ray Olmedo bring to the team in 2012 vs. how much Konerko will? Will there be a huge difference, and in Olmedo's favor?

If you honestly think the difference between wasting a roster spot with Sanchez or Greene or Olmedo somehow results in even 1 win more than with Paul Konerko taking the bat out of Adam Dunn's hands against lefties, then by all means keep having a huge reaction to this.

Worth noting is that Olmedo got that roster spot because Eduardo Escobar was traded away and the White Sox...needed a backup who could play IF positions in addition to Orlando Hudson.

They carried 2 backup IF's that year...and used both.

Similarly...when Angel Sanchez got hurt...they tried out another backup IF. And then traded for another at the deadline. In both cases, both guys got used.

We don't have the luxury of carrying that this year as it stands right now.

Olmedo flat out didn't deserve playing time...but got it anyway because having a 2nd backup IF was important.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
You guys aren't going to like this post. ...

Robin Ventura is a former player. As such, Robin Ventura respects near Hall of Famers like Konerko (he won't make the Hall but a damn fine career). My take to you is it's Paulie's STARTING job to lose. Look ... we go to spring training. Paulie is going to be healthy. Paulie is going to hit .310 in spring training with 6-7 home runs. Paulie Konerko will be starting first baseman. You heard it here first. Please please give me credit when this happens. It's going to happen.

p.s. Am I the only person on Soxtalk thrilled with his return?

Oh greggy boy....Have you even read the quotes from PK....He doesn't even wanna play everyday.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)

Robin Ventura is a former player. As such, Robin Ventura respects near Hall of Famers like Konerko (he won't make the Hall but a damn fine career). My take to you is it's Paulie's STARTING job to lose. Look ... we go to spring training. Paulie is going to be healthy. Paulie is going to hit .310 in spring training with 6-7 home runs. Paulie Konerko will be starting first baseman. You heard it here first. Please please give me credit when this happens. It's going to happen.

I'm sure you've been drinking or doing drugs or something. Konerko himself has said he is not a starter and that he is a part-time player. He said he didn't think he'd be able to stand the long, grueling season as a full-time player again.

And yes, you are the only one thrilled, which speaks volumes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)

Honestly greg, please step your trolling game up. This may be an all-time low for you bud.

Just in case you missed these greg.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 3m

Konerko: I've played with some guys who were great at this (role). Mark Kotsay. Jim Thome.

Konerko: "I’m hoping the pros in the end outweigh the cons."

Konerko: This is where it is for me. I'm a #WhiteSox and it killed me to see what went on last year.

Konerko: I didn't want to hamstring Robin with the roster. ... Says he knows there are going to be questions about roster.

Paul Konerko said he's been anticipating this type of role and is ahead of everyone in preparing for transition.

Paul Konerko: "I knew last year if I was going to play it was going to be something like this."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 2m

Konerko on new part-time role: "It'll be challenging but I'll give it hell"

PK: "The easiest thing would have been to retire. But the way last year went..."

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m

PK: "I’m a good employee to have. I have no future. I have no agenda. For me it’s I hope I do well when I’m in there."

Does Konerko expect a farewell tour around the league: "I sure hope not." That is definitely not Konerko's style

Konerko: "Truthfully, I probably wouldn’t be coming back to any situation if I knew I was slated to play a lot." Started thinking about...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
Worth noting is that Olmedo got that roster spot because Eduardo Escobar was traded away and the White Sox...needed a backup who could play IF positions in addition to Orlando Hudson.

They carried 2 backup IF's that year...and used both.

So the Sox wasted 2 (2!) roster spots with Ray Olmedo and Orlando Hudson at the same time!? Where was the outcry from this board over that? Alexei Ramirez starts 157 games a year. I would love to see anyone do quantitative analysis of the expected difference in value between any of those guys and Konerko.

If (if! it's still early and I expect there will be changes) there were no more changes to the roster among the starters, what would be the best way to improve the offense? A platoon partner for Viciedo or Garcia or Ramirez or Beckham? None of those things were ever remotely going to happen for 2014. How about creating the pretext for taking the bat out of Adam Dunn's hands against lefties?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
So the Sox wasted 2 (2!) roster spots with Ray Olmedo and Orlando Hudson at the same time!? Where was the outcry from this board over that?

I think there was plenty of outrage over Hudson and Olmedo playing. In fact...Hudson, you should note...was replaced as a starter as soon as Youkilis was available.

But at least that one was done in an effort to win games. After injuries hit the pitching staff...it made sense to trade Eduardo Escobar for Liriano to see if we could push forward.

But yes, I do think Rey Olmedo and Paul Konerko bring similar things to the 2012 and 2014 white sox, respectively.,

Another direction they could go with the bench is (Once again assuming they can trade Kepp) is PK-catcher-Danks-Elmore. Elmore can be Gillaspies platoon partner, and spell Beckham and Lexi from time to time. He's got no power(neither did Kepp tho) but on days he plays he should be a crafty little #2 hitter who can get on base (.352 obp vs LHP last year, career .387 obp in the minors).

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
I think there was plenty of outrage over Hudson and Olmedo

I would say not to this extant....and in December

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
But yes, I do think Rey Olmedo and Paul Konerko bring similar things to the 2012 and 2014 white sox, respectively.

I don't think you really think that. I suspect that you are well aware of the relative value of having Paul Konerko hit lefties instead of Adam Dunn vs. whatever it is that Ray Olmedo does.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't think you really think that. I suspect that you are well aware of the relative value of having Paul Konerko hit lefties instead of Adam Dunn vs. whatever it is that Ray Olmedo does.

I'm not actually sure. My biggest problem with Olmedo was that he was the laziest f***ing player on that 2012 team to the point it cost the Whtie Sox at least 1 game.

That was followed up by Paul Konerko being the captain of the laziest, most uninterested, most unfocused team I've ever seen the White Sox put on the field.

They each brought a minor skill of some slight utility to the table. Paul Konerko able to pinch hit and hit left-handers on a roster already dominated by righties, and Olmedo able to give Youkilis the occasional day off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
They each brought a minor skill of some slight utility to the table. Paul Konerko able to pinch hit and hit left-handers on a roster already dominated by righties,

It seems like you're intentionally failing to be specific. Doesn't matter how many righties are or aren't on the roster, we're specifically talking about the clear upgrade of Konerko taking regular at bats away from Dunn (while Keppinger is already starting at third).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
It would have been hard for there to be much outrage about Hudson or Olmedo in December as Hudson was added to the roster in May and Olmedo in August.

True. I mean at the time of their signing, before they played an inning. Their mere existence on the roster (despite their being devoid of value) did not generate a fraction of the ire that the re-signing (for a limited role) of the team's best hitter against lefties.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
It seems like you're intentionally failing to be specific. Doesn't matter how many righties are or aren't on the roster, we're specifically talking about the clear upgrade of Konerko taking regular at bats away from Dunn (while Keppinger is already starting at third).

Just to be clear...Adam Dunn got 110 PA's total against LH starters last year. Tyler Green was on the roster 2 months and he got 1/2 that many PA's as the final, backup IF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
Just to be clear...Adam Dunn got 110 PA's total against LH starters last year. Tyler Green was on the roster 2 months and he got 1/2 that many PA's as the final, backup IF.

I'm not sure what point you're making. That in addition to being bad, Greene barely played at all making his presence on the roster even more pointless and confounding?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
I'm not sure what point you're making. That in addition to being bad, Greene barely played at all making his presence on the roster even more pointless and confounding?

That the White Sox used the final backup IF on the roster at least 50% more than the role Konerko will get if he just subs for Dunn, and that's without Alexei ever getting a day off.

For Konerko to just get as much usage as the last IF on the White Sox roster he's going to take 100+ PA's from Abreu.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
That the White Sox used the final backup IF on the roster at least 50% more than the role Konerko will get if he just subs for Dunn, and that's without Alexei ever getting a day off.

For Konerko to just get as much usage as the last IF on the White Sox roster he's going to take 100+ PA's from Abreu.

First, you accidentally (or conveniently) excluded more than 20% of Dunn's PA's last year against lefties. It was 142.

But secondly, and more importantly, yes Konerko will get way way more PA's if either Abreu or Dunn breaks a bone in their hand, pushing Paulie into more action. Beckham's injury last year, as you know, explains Greene's playing time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)

Time to step away and take a breath man. My first reaction was very similar to yours, but 36 hours later it is time to move on. While the move totally jams up the bench, a Dunn / Konerko platoon will certainly produce a slash line that well exceeds the .214/.294/.341 line White Sox DHs posted last year.

Paulie will take minimal ABs away from Abreu. The guy is used to playing 90 games per year - he is going to need a breather once every 10 days or so, whether Paulie was on the team or not. The SOX will and should take it slow with Jose. Paulie will DH against most LHP when feeling well. Look, I don't love the move either, but for $2.5M, it is certainly not the worst thing in the world.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
And people are more than happy to call the Keppinger signing a debacle/disaster/choose your word. "It's the last guy on the roster" doesn't make it any less wrong.

You act like Konerko will be on the roster for the next 3 years. It's probably 50/50 he's retired by June 1st.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
Time to step away and take a breath man. My first reaction was very similar to yours, but 36 hours later it is time to move on. While the move totally jams up the bench, a Dunn / Konerko platoon will certainly produce a slash line that well exceeds the .214/.294/.341 line White Sox DHs posted last year.

Paulie will take minimal ABs away from Abreu. The guy is used to playing 90 games per year - he is going to need a breather once every 10 days or so, whether Paulie was on the team or not. The SOX will and should take it slow with Jose. Paulie will DH against most LHP when feeling well. Look, I don't love the move either, but for $2.5M, it is certainly not the worst thing in the world.

So the exact same guys will produce more than last year now that they're both a year older.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
First, you accidentally (or conveniently) excluded more than 20% of Dunn's PA's last year against lefties. It was 142.

But secondly, and more importantly, yes Konerko will get way way more PA's if either Abreu or Dunn breaks a bone in their hand, pushing Paulie into more action. Beckham's injury last year, as you know, explains Greene's playing time.

Quite on purpose I left them out because Konerko shouldn't be in the lineup if there's a RH starter on the mound, and PH situations have to be used with some intelligence.

The good news I guess is that none of our guys will get hurt this year at any positions other than 1b since our backups are so weak everywhere else.