Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Quite on purpose I left them out because Konerko shouldn't be in the lineup if there's a RH starter on the mound, and PH situations have to be used with some intelligence.

The good news I guess is that none of our guys will get hurt this year at any positions other than 1b since our backups are so weak everywhere else.

This team threw away ~175 AB's the second half of 2012 by playing Viciedo everyday in left when they were in a pennant race. Your outrage is misplaced, imo.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
You guys aren't going to like this post. ...

Robin Ventura is a former player. As such, Robin Ventura respects near Hall of Famers like Konerko (he won't make the Hall but a damn fine career). My take to you is it's Paulie's STARTING job to lose. Look ... we go to spring training. Paulie is going to be healthy. Paulie is going to hit .310 in spring training with 6-7 home runs. Paulie Konerko will be starting first baseman. You heard it here first. Please please give me credit when this happens. It's going to happen.

p.s. Am I the only person on Soxtalk thrilled with his return?

You are a special man.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
I'm sure you've been drinking or doing drugs or something. Konerko himself has said he is not a starter and that he is a part-time player. He said he didn't think he'd be able to stand the long, grueling season as a full-time player again.

And yes, you are the only one thrilled, which speaks volumes.

You don't think there's a chance a healthy Paulie has a great spring? And if he does he wouldn't be starting? it's not like the guy is 44 years old for gosh sakes. I do realize what he's said publicly. I'm just pointing out a scenario in which he's not finished and actually bounces back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
You don't think there's a chance a healthy Paulie has a great spring? And if he does he wouldn't be starting? it's not like the guy is 44 years old for gosh sakes. I do realize what he's said publicly. I'm just pointing out a scenario in which he's not finished and actually bounces back.

Spring Training is meaningless. Jose Abreu is 26. Signed for $68 million. Jose Abreu is the White Sox starting 1B.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)

Just give this act a rest man. You're worse than some of the callers on Boers & Berstein.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Just give this act a rest man. You're worse than some of the callers on Boers & Berstein.

Just think what will happen if Abreu has a slow first couple weeks. Those callers will keep getting louder until something happens.

You guys aren't going to like this post. ...

Robin Ventura is a former player. As such, Robin Ventura respects near Hall of Famers like Konerko (he won't make the Hall but a damn fine career). My take to you is it's Paulie's STARTING job to lose. Look ... we go to spring training. Paulie is going to be healthy. Paulie is going to hit .310 in spring training with 6-7 home runs. Paulie Konerko will be starting first baseman. You heard it here first. Please please give me credit when this happens. It's going to happen.

p.s. Am I the only person on Soxtalk thrilled with his return?

Good Lord.

No wonder so many on Soxtalk hate you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
So the exact same guys will produce more than last year now that they're both a year older.

No. Dunn will play far less against LHP and Konerko will play far less against RHP. Ya know, to maximize production. Figured you were capable of figuring that out.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:18 AM)
Good Lord.

No wonder so many on Soxtalk hate you.

You guys are starting to get personal again. Why the heck does my support of Paulie make me the bad guy here? I happen to think IF HEALTHY he is capable of a comeback and I am predicting a prominent role for the guy. No need to get all upset over some simple comments. Just think if I agreed with 90 percent of the board who hate the re-signing of Paulie ... the world is a BORING place if everybody agrees.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:09 AM)

White Sox ... I guess you are totally dismissing the possibility Paulie could have a bounceback farewell season. ... Yet many people on here are willing to give Dunn the benefit of the doubt again and again. I repeat, Paulie is not 44 years old. He still hit the ball last year. He just didn't hit it over the fence for some reason, maybe declining power? Possible. Maybe injury?? Likely.

What if he's healthy? If he can see the ball and his wrists and back are healthy, I still think there's a chance of a super bounce back season. I don't get why everybody dismisses it. We're talking about a natural hitter, not some of the unproven hacks on our team who are much younger.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
White Sox ... I guess you are totally dismissing the possibility Paulie could have a bounceback farewell season. ... Yet many people on here are willing to give Dunn the benefit of the doubt again and again. I repeat, Paulie is not 44 years old. He still hit the ball last year. He just didn't hit it over the fence for some reason, maybe declining power? Possible. Maybe injury?? Likely.

What if he's healthy? If he can see the ball and his wrists and back are healthy, I still think there's a chance of a super bounce back season. I don't get why everybody dismisses it. We're talking about a natural hitter, not some of the unproven hacks on our team who are much younger.

Because the guy made it clear he doesn't even want to be a starter! I think he knows his body, and he knows it's not gonna hold up playing even 100 games. It showed down the stretch in 2012, and pretty much throughout the whole 2013 season. He is going the Giambino route and nothing more.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:45 AM)
Because the guy made it clear he doesn't even want to be a starter! I think he knows his body, and he knows it's not gonna hold up playing even 100 games. It showed down the stretch in 2012, and pretty much throughout the whole 2013 season. He is going the Giambino route and nothing more.

He also held a long presser on the last day of the season or the last weekend saying a lot of things that were white lies. Folks, Paulie never was going to quit. It was pretty apparent he wanted one more year. Now if he's getting regular at bats and hitting .150 after 2 months, I'd suspect he'll hang 'em up or become a coach at that point. My point has been he has never embarrassed himself yet and may have fuel left in the tank.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 12:49 AM)
He also held a long presser on the last day of the season or the last weekend saying a lot of things that were white lies. Folks, Paulie never was going to quit. It was pretty apparent he wanted one more year. Now if he's getting regular at bats and hitting .150 after 2 months, I'd suspect he'll hang 'em up or become a coach at that point. My point has been he has never embarrassed himself yet and may have fuel left in the tank.

What white lies did he say at the that presser?

Lol he hit .226/.290/.310 against RHP last year...Adam Dunn? .226/.327/.459.....If Dunn is so god awful, how isn't what PK did last year an embarrassment in your opinion?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:57 AM)
What white lies did he say at the that presser?

Lol he hit .226/.290/.310 against RHP last year...Adam Dunn? .226/.327/.459.....If Dunn is so god awful, how isn't what PK did last year an embarrassment in your opinion?

Paulie hit .313 vs. lefties with a .398 OPB. His stats for the year were .244 12 54 with OBP of .313. In what universe is all that embarrassing?? It's actually a pretty mediocre season if you go by major league baseball as a whole. There are TONS of players with as bad or worse stats than that.

I'm saying it's not out of the question he improves on those stats IF HEALTHY. I mean, if he hit .180 with 6 homers and 26 ribbies, that would be embarrassing. He did not hit like that; he was OK at best. He was not trash especially when you consider he still can catch the ball in the field.

Yes he's slow as molasses. I've never denied that. He can't run.

Dunn hit .197 6 22 vs. lefties. 48 Ks in 122 at bats. For the year he whiffed 189 times and hit .219 with OBP of .320.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:21 AM)
Paulie hit .313 vs. lefties with a .398 OPB. His stats for the year were .244 12 54 with OBP of .313. In what universe is all that embarrassing?? It's actually a pretty mediocre season if you go by major league baseball as a whole. There are TONS of players with as bad or worse stats than that.

I'm saying it's not out of the question he improves on those stats IF HEALTHY. I mean, if he hit .180 with 6 homers and 26 ribbies, that would be embarrassing. He did not hit like that; he was OK at best. He was not trash especially when you consider he still can catch the ball in the field.

Yes he's slow as molasses. I've never denied that. He can't run.

Dunn hit .197 6 22 vs. lefties. 48 Ks in 122 at bats. For the year he whiffed 189 times and hit .219 with OBP of .320.

For a 1B that is pretty sad, esp when you start to bring up his .355 slugging%....A a number he shared with Tyler Flowers.

I'm done, I'll let others have the fun.

(What's sad is I was one of the biggest supporters of this move, and now greg has totally wrecked it for me.)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
It pretty much handcuffs what the Sox can do in the rule V draft as they wont be able to use that spot to carry an extra player that could contribute to the roster long term. If there is no one the Sox think could help long term, it makes sense. But this signing does nothing to move the organization forward.

If they take that minor league catcher, they simply park Phegley in AAA and Flowers shares the position with him for the first half of the season.

It's not THAT significant.

If what Greg said was actually true, I would immediately be rooting for a Chris Sale trade...because the only thing that would make Abreu not playing 150+ games worse would be a Sale injury and constantly wondering what we could have traded him for...along with the additional pain of ruminating about this for all of 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:00 AM)
If for some reason Greg turns out to be correct and Paulie comes into ST as the starting first baseman, I'm finding a new team.

He won't, but I imagine if Robin tried it he would be fired immediately.

With all due respect, how can you still have the Sox as your team with Dunn on the roster?? When I see Paulie go to the plate, still, I get PUMPED! When I see Dunn I want to puke. I was sad when Paulie didn't play in that game I saw in Kauffman this year the Sox won in 13.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
For a 1B that is pretty sad, esp when you start to bring up his .355 slugging%....A a number he shared with Tyler Flowers.

I'm done, I'll let others have the fun.

(What's sad is I was one of the biggest supporters of this move, and now greg has totally wrecked it for me.)

How can I wreck it for you?? People ask me to back my arguments up with stats, I do so, and it's still never good enough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:24 AM)
How can I wreck it for you?? People ask me to back my arguments up with stats, I do so, and it's still never good enough.

You might use stats to try and back up your argument but you state Paulie's stat line and act like it's plenty good enough to hang around in the majors, but when someone posts Dunn's stat line, which was much better than Paulies, you dismiss it and call him a bum. I don't see how anybody could get pumped to watch Konerko bat anymore. I don't get real excited over bloop singes to right. I'd much rather watch Dunn at the plate. Sure he's going to strike out a lot and not get many hits, but there is still that 1 in 15 or so chance that he is going to hit a moon shot.

Bottom line after reading and rereading most of the posts here I believe there is a benefit to having Konerko signed in helping Abreu's rookie MLB season. I also agree with Balta there is a possibility that having a someone available that could, if called upon, play 60 games, could cause them to be too protective of Abreu and actually stunt his growth. If the organization cannot bring Abreu through his adjustment to the MLB, then those responsible should not have their jobs. But I would rather the team have flexibility than Abreu being forced to play 150 games no matter what.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
Bottom line after reading and rereading most of the posts here I believe there is a benefit to having Konerko signed in helping Abreu's rookie MLB season. I also agree with Balta there is a possibility that having a someone available that could, if called upon, play 60 games, could cause them to be too protective of Abreu and actually stunt his growth. If the organization cannot bring Abreu through his adjustment to the MLB, then those responsible should not have their jobs. But I would rather the team have flexibility than Abreu being forced to play 150 games no matter what.

There's one thing you're missing.

I'd rather have flexibility too...in the roster. We already have 2 guys who can backup 1b to give Abreu extra time off if needed, Dunn and Keppinger (and hell Flowers in a pinch). We're sacrificing flexibility at every other position in the lineup in order to have extra flexibility at 1b/DH...which is one of the easiest positions to move someone to for a couple games if needed.

Oh, and we also could throw Andy Wilkins onto the bench for a few games if someone got hurt so we even have an obvious 4th backup at the minor league level.

We're saying the only position we want any flexibility at is 1b, and it's ok if we have none anywhere else.