The Value of Chris Sale

Dunt

As I imagine it'll be a talking point for the rest of the offseason and many to come, Chris Sale's value cannot be overstated. Solid Grantland piece on this very topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/100808...rankings-part-2

As you can see, their is only one pitcher rated ahead of Chris and that is Jose Fernandez. If the Sox were ever to trade him, it would really need to be for someones entire farm or someone along the lines of Manny Machado.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head I think only Arizona has the over all combination of prospects the Sox would seek. Any talks would start with Bradley or most likely forget it. I'm sure others here can name some teams and their aspects but AZ is the one team that could be a realistic trade partner.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
As I imagine it'll be a talking point for the rest of the offseason and many to come, Chris Sale's value cannot be overstated. Solid Grantland piece on this very topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/100808...rankings-part-2

As you can see, their is only one pitcher rated ahead of Chris and that is Jose Fernandez. If the Sox were ever to trade him, it would really need to be for someones entire farm or someone along the lines of Manny Machado.

Everybody has a price. You can pander all you want about "untouchable," but it just depends on the right package. I think the D'Backs could do it with Bradley as a centerpiece and others.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
Off the top of my head I think only Arizona has the over all combination of prospects the Sox would seek. Any talks would start with Bradley or most likely forget it. I'm sure others here can name some teams and their aspects but AZ is the one team that could be a realistic trade partner.

They have several top 100 prospects but they have Corbin, now, so they would be less interested in Sale (theoretically).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
They have several top 100 prospects but they have Corbin, now, so they would be less interested in Sale (theoretically).

I'm not so sure. The AZ gm said yesterday or the day before they are looking for a front line ace and Sale fits that description no doubt.

As was discussed in another thread its not a move where your just replacing Sale ( thats a pointless move) as it is to get the right players in return that can fill multiple holes the Sox have. By no means am I saying we shop Sale, but if team calls about him you listen and let the team know it will take one hell of a haul to take Sale out of Chicago. Otherwise, happy holidays and thanks for calling, click.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
You only trade Chris Sale if you get someone who you think can be as good as Chris Sale.

And then some.

You don't trade a young cost controlled ace like Sale unless you're getting a package you believe will be better than Sale.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm only shipping Sale to AZ if we're getting AT LEAST Eaton, Davidson, Bradley, and we give up Dunn or Keppinger as well.

I think thats probably the starting point for the a deal. There are probably 5 teams that could give up what the Sox need to get back in value for Sale- the Cardinals, Rangers, Dbacks, Red Sox and possibly the Mariners.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
And then some.

You don't trade a young cost controlled ace like Sale unless you're getting a package you believe will be better than Sale.

That's just it. The Sox have to be a better team after the trade than before the trade or forget it.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
Bradley and Owings have to be in any deal IMO...

Agreed.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
You only trade Chris Sale if you get someone who you think can be as good as Chris Sale.

It doesn't need to be some one, it has to be a collective that will win you more games than you will win just by having Sale pitch every five days.

I would think the price would be three ML ready prospects with upside plus a couple high upside guys.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
I think the Mariners packages would have to be Walker, Seager, Paxton, and then something like Tyler Marlette. Also could do a change of scenery swap of Beckham and Ackley in the deal.

If you get them to include Walker and Seager, with other high-end guys involved, then you absolutely have to consider that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
It doesn't need to be some one, it has to be a collective that will win you more games than you will win just by having Sale pitch every five days.

I would think the price would be three ML ready prospects with upside plus a couple high upside guys.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Its pointless otherwise.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 12:09 AM)
How does Samardzija get involved in any conversation in which getting an ace is the team's priority. David Price or Jeff Samardzija.......ok

No doubt in my mind that Samardzija is the most overrated player in baseball