Brett Gardner

GreatScott82

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
For one season of Gardner? No thanks.

That's fine. I'm not telling you I would offer that, I'm just telling you what I think the Yankees would want back. A lot of teams will be interested in Gardner. But I don't want to trade for any player on a 1-year deal, it makes no sense for this team (unless the deal comes w/ an extension).

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
I think it may be more of a misconception that it's very easy to get guys to sign extensions. I wouldn't trade for Gardner or Headley without a long term deal in place, and I can't think of a really good reason why either one would sign such a deal rather than test free agency.

I agree. With the amount of money teams have been throwing around during free agency, why would you sign a cheap team-friendly extension unless you have been in that organization for years.

Gardner may cost a 3rd or 4th starter only... Would Danks for Gardner plus a prospect be worth it? If we could sign him long term?

Per MLBtr:

Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger (Twitter link) hears from rival executives that the most likely return for the Yankees in a Gardner deal would be a No. 4 starter. A No. 3 would be a "great get," according to those execs

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Gardner may cost a 3rd or 4th starter only... Would Danks for Gardner plus a prospect be worth it? If we could sign him long term?

Per MLBtr:

Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger (Twitter link) hears from rival executives that the most likely return for the Yankees in a Gardner deal would be a No. 4 starter. A No. 3 would be a "great get," according to those execs

Danks for Gardner straight up even is probably a reach for the Sox, let alone with more thrown in

When they say '3rd or 4th starter'.......they mean lower total money than what Danks makes.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
Danks for Gardner straight up even is probably a reach for the Sox, let alone with more thrown in

When they say '3rd or 4th starter'.......they mean lower total money than what Danks makes.

Many 3rd and 4th starters on the open market have gotten multi-year deals at annual values north of $10M. If Danks is healthy, and throwing like he can, he is a bargain at that rate. If he pitches like he did last year...he's a bit overpaid. But the likely result of somewhere in between and Danks is paid just about right.

But now is not the right time to trade Danks.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)

They mean somebody like Santiago.

OTOH imagine what a steal it would be for the Yanks to get 3 years of good John Danks for the cost of 1 year of Brett Gardner. That potential alone should make the deal fair in this pitching market. I mean, obviously any deal is pending physical and IIRC Danks has a partial NTC anyway, so NY would get to look him over first.

The guaranteed $$$ on Danks is the real risk, and I think in the right deal you dump that risk off on someone else and forget about the extra pieces. Gardner = 1st round pick (unless it's a multiple signing scenario where you get a 2nd or 3rd), so yeah, I'd do a deal to alleviate that risk of burden for a good valuable piece now, especially since it opens a spot in the rotation. However, should the Sox trade another lefty AND also believe it's 75-80% or better that Danks is an excellent pitcher again, I don't make that deal.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion