Teams begging Sox for Chris Sale

Baron

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
f*** this team if they trade Sale. He's the best player we've drafted/had since 35. He's a top 3 pitcher in baseball, or at least the AL, going forward. You don't hear the National trying to trade Strasburg. And Sale has been just as good if not better.

True, but the Nationals don't suck big ol' donkey dick.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1m

Jerry Reinsdorf on #Whitesox rumors re Chris Sale: "I've only had 1 player in my 33 years who couldn't be traded. He played basketball.

This made me laugh.

First off losing Sale would really suck, but not five year suck. The right trade also has the opportunity to move up the team's return. Because there are a couple really nice lists of players that would be nice in return, I won't go there. I would like to mention if a team really does want Sale, Sale needs a teammate to go with him. A big teammate. Perhaps Dunn and all his contract.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
This made me laugh.

First off losing Sale would really suck, but not five year suck. The right trade also has the opportunity to move up the team's return. Because there are a couple really nice lists of players that would be nice in return, I won't go there. I would like to mention if a team really does want Sale, Sale needs a teammate to go with him. A big teammate. Perhaps Dunn and all his contract.

The last part here is a really good point.

If the Sox were to trade Sale for a whole bunch of prospects, doesn't that kind of make the Abreu signing pointless? Not that they are competing this year, but that pretty much sets back the clock at least 4 years guaranteed. Suddenly Abreu is 30 and his contract is almost up.

Someone who is making a case for a four or five year set back kindly expand their point? There are multiple holes in this team. How will losing your Ace while potentially filling two or three holes set you back five years?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
No. Never. Quintana has nothing like Contreras' movement on his best pitch.

Numbers wise they're already comparable and Q has room to grow. The first half of 06 you guys are touting Count had a 3.38 ERA, Q in the 2nd half had a 3.21. I know that's cherry picking and mismatching a bit, but I think it's somewhat valid.

I'm curious as to when people actually see the White Sox as realistic playoff contenders? Personally, I think it's years away. At which point Sale has 2, maybe 3 years left on his current deal. Are the Sox really going to hand out a $200 million contract to him at the end of this one? Realistically, I think we're looking at 1 playoff appearance during Sale's current contract. And likely not keeping him after. I can understand the unrest at the idea of trading him, but I really don't think the organization is "risking" much by trading him. At least, in my opinion, the risk is far less than the potential upside impact on the organization.

I will say, I think next year after seeing how Abreu and Garcia develop or don't develop, would be a better time to consider trading Sale. But I have no issue with it now.

I guess to me being an ace is not a state of being. You either are one or you aren't. You might be able to impersonate one for 35 starts, but it becomes quite clear over your career whether or not you are one. We have always known that Chris is an ace. Before he had ever pitched like one, we knew that was what we had. Jose Quintana could go 22-2 next season with a 2.8 ERA and we will still know that he is not an ace.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
Numbers wise they're already comparable and Q has room to grow. The first half of 06 you guys are touting Count had a 3.38 ERA, Q in the 2nd half had a 3.21. I know that's cherry picking and mismatching a bit, but I think it's somewhat valid.

Don't just comp the era's. Pitching in 05 was a lot different than pitching now with the steroid era in full swing.

Also, by no means does trading Sale automatically make us unable to compete in the near term. It's a big hit to the pitching staff, certainly, but it's one guy. He plays every five days. We'd be able to make it, especially given that we'd probably receive a player with similar potential in return.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
If the Sox were to trade Sale for a whole bunch of prospects, doesn't that kind of make the Abreu signing pointless? Not that they are competing this year, but that pretty much sets back the clock at least 4 years guaranteed. Suddenly Abreu is 30 and his contract is almost up.

Not if you're getting 3-4 pieces who are already major league ready....They aren't trading Sale for a bunch of guys who are years away.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
I guess to me being an ace is not a state of being. You either are one or you aren't. You might be able to impersonate one for 35 starts, but it becomes quite clear over your career whether or not you are one. We have always known that Chris is an ace. Before he had ever pitched like one, we knew that was what we had. Jose Quintana could go 22-2 next season with a 2.8 ERA and we will still know that he is not an ace.

Hard to say with Contreras. By all accounts in his Cuban years he was every bit an ace, which is why the Yankees backed up the cash truck when his Contreras defected.

What we saw looked like an ace. Your opinion is that he is just a good pitcher that got hot, but he pitched the part of an ace for that team. He wasnt just a really good 2 or 3.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Someone who is making a case for a four or five year set back kindly expand their point? There are multiple holes in this team. How will losing your Ace while potentially filling two or three holes set you back five years?

I agree, if anything it moves your timetable up so you are ready to contend in '15 and possibly as early as this season. Keeping Sale pushes your time frame back as you have to wait to develop players to fill the holes on the roster, and by the time they are all in place, your SP's are entering FA.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)

He was dominating until he hurt himself, i believe he hurt his back in June. Look at his splits in April/May, then in June is when he got hurt. He was dealing

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
I agree, if anything it moves your timetable up so you are ready to contend in '15 and possibly as early as this season. Keeping Sale pushes your time frame back as you have to wait to develop players to fill the holes on the roster, and by the time they are all in place, your SP's are entering FA.

Exactly and were talking about developing players from a weak farm at that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Don't just comp the era's. Pitching in 05 was a lot different than pitching now with the steroid era in full swing.

Fair enough.

Q had the 25th highest WAR among pitchers so doesn't that "technically" make him a #1 starter?

As I said before I also think he has room to grow as well. I could see him putting up that 3.21 era he did in the 2nd half for a whole year next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 51m

In order to trade Chris Sale, sources say, White Sox would be looking for a package much bigger than what David Price is expected to get.

Well of course. Sale has way more years of control and is MUCH cheaper.

Did I mention that he's better?