Teams begging Sox for Chris Sale

Baron

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
This would be about the absolute worst, worst, worst thing you could do if you are going to trade Chris Sale. You need to load up on prospects if you trade him. Adam Dunn is a free agent after this year and John Danks is still a good pitcher who was in his first year back from injury. What are you going to spend that money on anyways?

Maybe you can do that with Santiago or Quintana and get away with it, but it's just not smart to do with Sale.

This, so much this.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
Sorry but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd even win 80 games if Pollack and Para are starting in the OF. Defense is important and all, but if your 3 starting OF's are going to hit a combined 30 HR's you might as well just stay home because you have 0% chance to compete in the American League. Pollack and Parra would be stop gaps on a team that has no shot to compete.

Why do you keep ignoring the other pieces I included ? Why didn't you answer when your timetable is for when we can win the division ? Pitching and D wins a lot of games if Abreu and Avi Garcia hit. You have to get better at many position. I just got us better at 3 positions , younger , more LH better D and with a cheaper payroll without rolling the dice on too many prospects . Aren't those all thinsg we want ? You're not all of a sudden go from 65 wins to 100.If the Sox are lucky it'll be a steady climb for the next 2 years and then compete in 2016 .

Anything before that and you're really kidding yourself and with a bunch of prospects instead of MLers you're looking at even longer when including A ballers and rookie league players. Got to get to 80 wins before we get to 90.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Anyone getting the assumption that if Sox do somehow deal Danks that Hahn will go hard after Tanaka?

No, because if we sell on Danks at his lowest possible value, which we would be doing now, we would have to pick up salary and that would take us out of the running for Tanaka. There is no plus to dealing Danks at this point.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Anyone getting the assumption that if Sox do somehow deal Danks that Hahn will go hard after Tanaka?

That would make for two really smart signings. No picks surrendered and way below market contracts if players live up to even some of their potentials. Tanaka and Abreu have to be at least serviceable right?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
Why do you keep ignoring the other pieces I included ? Why didn't you answer when your timetable is for when we can win the division ? Pitching and D wins a lot of games if Abreu and Avi Garcia hit. You have to get better at many position. I just got us better at 3 positions , younger , more LH better D and with a cheaper payroll without rolling the dice on too many prospects . Aren't those all thinsg we want ? You're not all of a sudden go from 65 wins to 100.If the Sox are lucky it'll be a steady climb for the next 2 years and then compete in 2016 .

Anything before that and you're really kidding yourself and with a bunch of prospects instead of MLers you're looking at even longer when including A ballers and rookie league players. Got to get to 80 wins before we get to 90.

Because the other pieces I agree on....except Gregorious. Not because I don't like him, but because I doubt the Dbacks trade their starting SS. And you edited in the timetable part after I already replied....All depends on whether we trade Sale on that. If Sale is traded it pushes that date back another year. But 2016 to be serious contenders doesn't sound bad. I don't think 2015 is out of the realm of possibility if Sale is kept and a couple of the right moves are made.

My stance is that Pollack and Parra aren't good enough to make us win now and they aren't even close to the type of guys who you can build around. If you disagree that's cool, but personally I'm taking prospects over those 2 any day of the week.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
Since we're talking crazy trades....

I don't even want a lot prospects if Sale goes to AZ you start with Corbin ,Gregorius, Parra, Polllock .They can keep Owings. We can give up Alexei and DeAza Then AZ can throw in Matt Davidson and Justin Williams. So basically...

Sale for Corbin . Sale LH ace controlled til 2019 at very reasonable price. Corbin LH same age as Sale already very good but not the great contract Sale has.

Alexei for Gregorius. Alexei 32 $10M a yr for next 2 years . Gregorius turning 24 in Feb. LH hitter very good fielder limited hitting skills.

De Aza turning 30 in April LH decent power bad fielder bad baserunner for Parra turns 27 in May very good fielder not much power but LH.

AJ Pollock OF Matt Davidson and Justin Williams for the great contract Sale has.

Pretty lopsided in the Sox favor basically getting their best starting ptcher starting SS and 2 good fielding starting OF's a 3B prospect in Davidson and a low minors OF prospect who has very high upside in Williams . Az would never do it . Maybe Bradley instead of Corbin makes it a little more even but still heavily in our favor.

If you're trading Sale, you do it for high ceiling players. There's a lot of average stuff in that proposal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Why? If he goes to a team people actually care about, those likely forged signatures will be worth more.

Two things:

1. If these are forgeries, then someone at panini is going to jail, as these are licensed and distributed by a major card manufacturer. And even just one fake will cripple the card industry. (I deal in certified autos only)

2. There won't be much of a market for a WHITE SOX sale card in chixago is he becomes a stud for Bos/nyy/lad or any other team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
This would be about the absolute worst, worst, worst thing you could do if you are going to trade Chris Sale. You need to load up on prospects if you trade him. Adam Dunn is a free agent after this year and John Danks is still a good pitcher who was in his first year back from injury. What are you going to spend that money on anyways?

Maybe you can do that with Santiago or Quintana and get away with it, but it's just not smart to do with Sale.

No team would add that much dead weight even for sale.

Hence why I said" that'll shut most teams up"

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
No team would add that much dead weight even for sale.

Hence why I said" that'll shut most teams up"

Considering Sale's contract moving forward and he will average about what a guy like Vargas got for 7 years, I think a team would have no problem taking the one year left on Dunn, but it would cost the Sox prospects,which makes zero sense for the White Sox.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
The Dodgers are after Price, so they dont seem to think that they have enough pitching. The Dodgers and Red Sox make sense, but I doubt they would give up what it would take to make a deal happen, especially Boston. Boston has the pieces, but not the incentive to move those pieces in a trade. The Dodgers problem is that they would have to either eat Kemps contract or give up Puig to get in the bdding for Sale.

They have Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Haren, Billingsley (admittedly coming off a major surgery) and Beckett.

With that much money invested in the starting rotation, they would be insane to go after Price when they still could make improvements at SS (assuming Ramirez is full-time 3B now) and 2B.

It's too risky to trot Ramirez out there everyday at SS, although obviously his offense plays even better there. Then again, how many great offensive 3B are there in the game today? Not more than a handful.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
Considering Sale's contract moving forward and he will average about what a guy like Vargas got for 7 years, I think a team would have no problem taking the one year left on Dunn, but it would cost the Sox prospects,which makes zero sense for the White Sox.

This smacks of the Jackson/Teahen deal.

Don't devalue an important pitching asset just to get a smaller contract off the payroll. That move turned out to be a disaster considering the value Jackson SHOULD have had on the market.

Don't do something asinine just to save a bit of money on Keppinger or Dunn.

The Danks case is a different story...but in no way shape or form do you mess with Sale's potential return by forcing a fit (with two starting pitchers being in the deal) when you have the luxury of waiting for Danks to bounce back a bit more this season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
This smacks of the Jackson/Teahen deal.

Don't devalue an important pitching asset just to get a smaller contract off the payroll. That move turned out to be a disaster considering the value Jackson SHOULD have had on the market.

Don't do something asinine just to save a bit of money on Keppinger or Dunn.

The Danks case is a different story...but in no way shape or form do you mess with Sale's potential return by forcing a fit (with two starting pitchers being in the deal) when you have the luxury of waiting for Danks to bounce back a bit more this season.

Exactly.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
If you're trading Sale, you do it for high ceiling players. There's a lot of average stuff in that proposal.

If your goal is to improve the minors yes. No team has more than one or two high ceiling guys who are proving their worth in the high minors. That's why trading Sale is so difficult. Hahn doesn't seem to want A ballers and rookie league players when he trades a big gun like Sale. Also again you say average without any valuation to their defense which is way above average . I know it's a hard concept to grasp but the Sox suck real bad. I made the trade very lopsided in the Sox favor that made us everything everyones been saying we need. better D ,more LH, more depth in the minors and improving 3 positions in the majors. AZ would laugh at Hahn saying you only gave up 1 really good piece and you're taking 3 of my starters ,my best pitcher ( or highest ranked minor league pitcher), sticking me with $20M and taking 2 of my top 10 prospects .

Dylan Hernandez ‏@dylanohernandez 4m

The owner of the Rakuten Eagles told @pgammo he doesn't intend to post Masahiro Tanaka

Don't know if this is final or just negotiating but if Tanaka is not available there might be an even greater demand for Sale.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
I don't want to trade Sale.

Me either. He is really f'in good. That said, if the Dbacks were ever dumb enough to offer some of the sillier deals thrown out here, I'd pull the trigger if I were Hahn. Say, Bradley, Skaggs, Gregorious, Trahan and Davidson for Sale and Alexei - just fills so many holes. But, that's not happening.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
I think this is going to play out exactly as Dick Allen said. Nothing is likely to happen, but if Sale is gone, Sox fans are going to get over the the loss of Sale rather quickly because the return is going to be astronomical.

I disagree. From reading what some have said, they are either a). unobjectively against trading Sale, b).don't trust Sox to develop any prospect, or c). expect Mike Trout back in return.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
If your goal is to improve the minors yes. No team has more than one or two high ceiling guys who are proving their worth in the high minors. That's why trading Sale is so difficult. Hahn doesn't seem to want A ballers and rookie league players when he trades a big gun like Sale. Also again you say average without any valuation to their defense which is way above average . I know it's a hard concept to grasp but the Sox suck real bad.

All defense, no offense players aren't that hard to find. You certainly don't need to use Sale to find them.

I want the Sox to get better defensive players too...but not for him. I want to dump Ramirez et al for younger players, even if they can't hit. You only want those type of players up the middle anyway...never at a corner position.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
Me either. He is really f'in good. That said, if the Dbacks were ever dumb enough to offer some of the sillier deals thrown out here, I'd pull the trigger if I were Hahn. Say, Bradley, Skaggs, Gregorious, Trahan and Davidson for Sale and Alexei - just fills so many holes. But, that's not happening.

Nope, that's not enough. I know that is picky but if we're trading Sale we're not doing so for that group (as good as they all are).