Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
Santiago could never be a #2. I am sorry, he's a great competitor on the mound and does well for his tools but he's not a frontline starter. He's a solid rotation member who will eat innings. I think Paulino, if healthy, can duplicate what Santiago could do. We got tremendous value for Santiago if Eaton comes back healthy and comes close to doing what he's done consistently in the minors.

And this is a point of view I don't understand. Hector has a good enough arm to be a #2, not saying he's going to get there cause he does have a lot to work on but he definitely can.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Seems premature to say that, as he could easily classify as a #2 if he makes the same leap Quintana did.

Quintana went from a minor league free agent to a #3, thats an insane leap. Santiago averages 12.2 baserunners per 9 IP and is flyball prone pitching at the cell.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
Seems premature to say that, as he could easily classify asefficiently2 if he makes the same leap Quintana did.

Why would anyone bet against Santiago to this point? He's proven everyone wrong over and over again. If he learns to pitch more efficiently, he's easily a number two. Easier said then done, but he's still solid for now regardless.

IMO, Eaton is a great addition. The team had 4 left handed starting pitchers and somebody had to go. Sale is the ace, Q has a very high ceiling and is a steal financially, and Danks is coming off injuries and has a big contract. Hector is a very cool person, but he had to go. I believe the Sox sold high on Santiago and the D-Backs sold low on Eaton. Eaton (if healthy) is a legit CF and will hit well at US Cellular. The Sox fan base will love him, if he performs like he should.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Seems premature to say that, as he could easily classify as a #2 if he makes the same leap Quintana did.

My problem with that is that Quintana made the leap as a 23 year old. Santiago is going to be 26 next year and hasn't had the break through yet.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Santiago could never be a #2. I am sorry, he's a great competitor on the mound and does well for his tools but he's not a frontline starter. He's a solid rotation member who will eat innings. I think Paulino, if healthy, can duplicate what Santiago could do. We got tremendous value for Santiago if Eaton comes back healthy and comes close to doing what he's done consistently in the minors.

He has the arm for it, I'm just not sure about the between the ears part.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Santiago averages 12.2 baserunners per 9 IP and is flyball prone pitching at the cell.

While also having to build his stamina during the year because of the dumb decision by the Sox heading into the season? Santiago has a pretty high ceiling, IMO. A much higher ceiling than the likes of Rienzo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
I don't know what people are smoking. Eaton has an incredibly high ceiling, and the only reason he's getting dealt is because of his injury-riddled 2013. This is going to wind up being a steal - like Carlos Quentin 2.0 in terms of "holy s*** why'd they do this?"

Hopefully he has more staying power, though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
In 2007-08, the White Sox traded Chris Carter to Arizona for Carlos Quentin. Chris Carter was then later involved in a package to Oakland that sent Dan Haren to Arizona. It was essentially a three way trade of Chris Carter to Oakland, a bunch of other pieces to Oakland, Carlos Quentin to the White Sox, and Dan Haren to Arizona.

In 2013-14, the White Sox traded Hector Santiago to LAA, but you could essentially argue that they traded Hector Santiago to Arizona for Adam Eaton. Santiago and Skaggs were traded to LAA for Mark Trumbo and a couple of prospects.

In both cases, they bought low on otherwise highly rated Arizona outfield prospects. I think they believe that Arizona is good at developing outfielders.

I beat you to it. Thus, I win.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
While also having to build his stamina during the year because of the dumb decision by the Sox heading into the season? Santiago has a pretty high ceiling, IMO. A much higher ceiling than the likes of Rienzo.

I agree. I think Rienzo is a #4-5 or a bullpen piece at his ceiling. I don't see any way he starts the year in the majors unless Erik Johnson looks terrible or Paulino isn't ready.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
My problem with that is that Quintana made the leap as a 23 year old. Santiago is going to be 26 next year and hasn't had the break through yet.

He hasn't really been given a chance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)

Yes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I agree. I think Rienzo is a #4-5 or a bullpen piece at his ceiling. I don't see any way he starts the year in the majors unless Erik Johnson looks terrible or Paulino isn't ready.

Johnson is ahead of Rienzo for sure.

My take: Sale, Quintana, Johnson, Danks, Paulino, Rienzo.

At the trade deadline last year, the White Sox did not have Avisail Garcia, Adam Eaton, and Jose Abreu.

Today they do.

For a team that had f*** all in terms of young offensive talent, these are three gentlemen with extremely high upside who will be in your 2014 Opening Day lineup.

How anyone could complain over dealing Hector Santiago is beyond me. The White Sox pull pitchers out of their ass all the time.

Had the same basic numbers while just starting in the minors. High hits, walks, and homers per innings pitched. He does well with runners on base though, not sure if thats sustainable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
At the trade deadline last year, the White Sox did not have Avisail Garcia, Adam Eaton, and Jose Abreu.

Today they do.

For a team that had f*** all in terms of young offensive talent, these are three gentlemen with extremely high upside who will be in your 2014 Opening Day lineup.

How anyone could complain over dealing Hector Santiago is beyond me. The White Sox pull pitchers out of their ass all the time.

And the Cubs are in the third year of their rebuilding and might have guys who could eventually end up there, but are still in the mid to low minors.

But I do agree that he has a higher ceiling than Reinzo! But Reinzo's ceiling is a 5th starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
And the Cubs are in the third year of their rebuilding and might have guys who could eventually end up there, but are still in the mid to low minors.

Yup. Exactly. Somehow the Sox have skipped the whole "development" process and picked up three core pieces ready to take swings in the bigs on Opening Day.

Nevermind that Eaton hit .348 across 1500 plus minor league plate appearances (Joe Mauer, for example, hit .330), just the fact that he's put up a .332 OBP in his first 380 PA's which (very sadly) is better than anyone on our team last year should be cause for excitement.

I hope we wait it out for the right offer for De Aza to come around. They can publicly say the right things like De Aza will "be in the outfield mix" and provide "lineup flexibility" and not dump him unless something good comes around.