Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
You're saying this off more than Eaton's 300 ML at-bats? Santiago is nice labor for the price but has anyone here honestly touted his ceiling..like at all?

I see no reason why Santiago can't be a #3 starter. He had a fantastic K rate last year.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
11:38am: MLB.com's Steve Gilbert tweets that Arizona would receive a pair of good prospects in addition to Trumbo.

From us???

If they get Skaggs/Santiago and 2 good prospects for Trumbo, then goodness that's a hell of a deal by them.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
His elbow definitely is a scary situation. Many players have had this same issue and just a matter of time turns into Tommy John Surgery: Carl Crawford, Ardoylis Vizcanio, Colby Lewis, Brett Anderson, Casey Kelly. Those are players that come to my head just right now. I would stay away from Eaton, not a true CF. Reports tend to show he's more suited for LF. Davidson is a better fit. We have a huge hole at 3B.

He did go under the knife though, which some of the other players didn't do. He had UCL surgery ( I think, it's posted in one of the scouting reports I posted). So he got it cleaned up, instead of resting it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
The other problem is that this makes DeAza essentially worthless...nobody's going to give up anything if they know we're going to be forced to trade him and Alejandro's salary's already going up to $4.5 million or so.

He's not really a bargain unless he's projected as a starting outfielder. On the bench, MEHHHH....someone might take him off our hands, but we'd get very little to nothing in return.

Definitely not the best way to maximize the return our trade pieces if all we get for DeAza and Santiago is Adam Eaton.

The Sox have already proven they aren't concerned about a surplus at a position ruining trade leverage.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Bench players routinely make $3.5 million, and the Sox aren't forced to move him. This does to hurt De Aza's value that he hasn't already done himself.

I also have no idea where that $3.5 million value came from. He's going to be arbitration eligible for like the first time next year. I'm guessing he gets closer to $2-2.5 million, which, comparatively speaking, is a significant amount less.

De Aza is in his 2nd year of arbitration. He made just over $2 million last year so he's probably looking around $3-$3.5 million this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
If they get Skaggs/Santiago and 2 good prospects for Trumbo, then goodness that's a hell of a deal by them.

No, Arizona is getting them. No idea from which side. I'd guess one from LAA, one from the Sox. I think the Sox will get something additionally from LAA too, if everything works out.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
De Aza is in his 2nd year of arbitration. He made just over $2 million last year so he's probably looking around $3-$3.5 million this year.

You're right, I was looking at outdated information. That's still not a bad price.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't think DeAza qualifies as a surplus of anything. I think he'll be gone as soon as someone offers the Sox a deal that benefits the Sox, and IMO this has likely been our stance on DeAza since last winter. I think Hahn's just been getting low-balled on DeAza for a while.

If the Sox have felt that way about De Aza for a year, they would have asked for a hell of a lot less than Maikel Franco for him from Philadelphia last year.

They may want to move him, but Rick is a smart dude.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
You're right, I was looking at outdated information. That's still not a bad price.

For his production, no it's not at all. But if he is going to end up being a 4th outfielder for us, I'd much rather give the spot to Danks at 1/5th the cost because there will probably not be a big enough drop off to warrant an extra $2.5-$3 million.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
For his production, no it's not at all. But if he is going to end up being a 4th outfielder for us, I'd much rather give the spot to Danks at 1/5th the cost because there will probably not be a big enough drop off to warrant an extra $2.5-$3 million.

It's not, but there's no reason to give up your leverage just to get rid of $2.5 mill. You can accept a little less to get rid of him, but getting rid of him just to rid yourself of him is terribly inefficient. I'd expect, at the very least, they get a big, raw arm.

Play ADA, get a slight bounceback year at the plate, and he's absolutely worth more at the deadline than he is now. He wouldnt really need all that much of a bounceback, and you work on some traditionalist (any left?) GMs content to have him in center, content to ignore how bad he's been there

If you play Dayan tons next year, over ADA, the only benefit is that continued, annual hope that DV finally nears the ceiling. I can understand that mindset, but I dont love it.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
No, Arizona is getting them. No idea from which side. I'd guess one from LAA, one from the Sox. I think the Sox will get something additionally from LAA too, if everything works out.

I would love to get Howie Kendrick thrown in. I am just thrilled that there is a real rumor!