2014 Winter Olympics

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I have a very bad feeling about these Olympics. Those black widow bombers have already started.

I really hope I am wrong

As bad as it could be, the USOC is much more worried about the Next Summer ones in Rio. They are already allocating extra resources for future security.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
As bad as it could be, the USOC is much more worried about the Next Summer ones in Rio. They are already allocating extra resources for future security.

Really? Are they worried about terrorism in Rio or just more local violence like robberies/muggings, etc? Because I think Russia is a much larger concern, they have shown no fear to kill large amounts of people in public places before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Really? Are they worried about terrorism in Rio or just more local violence like robberies/muggings, etc? Because I think Russia is a much larger concern, they have shown no fear to kill large amounts of people in public places before.

I think the robberies/muggings. They are building the Olympic park right over the top of the slum, and just saying "GET OUT" to the people living there.

But I wouldnt be surprised to see terrorism rear its ugly head

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)

Mostly just general crime and security. However it's a big concern. They don't trust the local group to provide the security. Big concerns of bribery.

Curling on TV alert! NBC Sports network, 6 to 9 pm.

Didn't John Shuster choke four years ago or something like that?

'Choke' implies that they had some kind of chance to win a medal and blew it. They finished dead last out of 10 teams in the round robin.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
Curling on TV alert! NBC Sports network, 6 to 9 pm.

Didn't John Shuster choke four years ago or something like that?

Biggest choke artist in all my years watching sports. Spoiler for what I assume is on tv tonight:

Somehow he is captaining again.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
'Choke' implies that they had some kind of chance to win a medal and blew it. They finished dead last out of 10 teams in the round robin.

He missed 3 last shots that would have won 3 more matches. And then they benched him since he couldnt handle the pressure, which i guess just doesnt haapen. He was a choker.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
These Winters Olympics are going to be fun...

Yeah, even if I had the chance to go I would have absolutely no interest in going to Sochi with all this stuff going on.

In Olympic sports news Lauryn Williams and Lolo Jones both made the USA bobsled team so they will be only the 9th and 10th Americans to compete in the Summer and Winter Olympics.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
These Winters Olympics are going to be fun...

Warships part of U.S. contingency plan for Sochi Olympics

The U.S. military will have up to two warships and several transport aircraft on standby under a contingency plan to help evacuate American officials and athletes from the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, if ordered, a U.S. official said.

The State Department would take the lead in organizing and evacuating Americans, if necessary, the official with direct knowledge of the plan told CNN.

Moscow would have to ask for such assistance before the United States would act, the official said.

But planes and ships are clearly there "if something happens like a major terrorist attack and we need to get Americans out," the official said.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Jamaican Bobsled Team!

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/bo...an-bobsled-team

People have donated $25,000 to help the Jamaicans go to the Olympics. 70% of the money has come from U.S. bank accounts. Must be a lot of Cool Runnings fans out there!

That's pretty much it right here.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Yeah, even if I had the chance to go I would have absolutely no interest in going to Sochi with all this stuff going on.

In Olympic sports news Lauryn Williams and Lolo Jones both made the USA bobsled team so they will be only the 9th and 10th Americans to compete in the Summer and Winter Olympics.

That has to suck for the lifetime professional bobsledders. You spend your whole life practicing dreaming of the Olympic team and you think you are the best until suddenly these track stars show up and take your spot in the Games.