2014 Winter Olympics

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
That has to suck for the lifetime professional bobsledders. You spend your whole life practicing dreaming of the Olympic team and you think you are the best until suddenly these track stars show up and take your spot in the Games.

Driver and Brakeman are the real skill folks here. In the fourman, the pushers are the athletes. Herschel Walker did this.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Driver and Brakeman are the real skill folks here. In the fourman, the pushers are the athletes. Herschel Walker did this.

Yeah, and the girl who was next in line behind Williams and Jones only took up the sport after the 2010 Olympics. They basically try to recruit athletes from other sports for the push athletes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Yeah, and the girl who was next in line behind Williams and Jones only took up the sport after the 2010 Olympics. They basically try to recruit athletes from other sports for the push athletes.

Thanks for the insight, good to know for the next month. Then I'm sure I will forget until the 2018 Games. :D

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Luge, except for men's double, is cool. Why they have men's doubles but not women's doubles seems odd. Women's doubles luge, or mixed doubles would be hot.

son of a b**** it does exist, how is this not covered more, sorry, but this could be the hottest sport out there.

http://www.olympic.org/luge-doubles-mixed

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
None of the outdoor events are even in the city. They are an hour north or south. I'm guessing all Winter Olympics are like this.

For the most part. Vancouver had their ski events at Whistler, about two hours away. SLC's ski events were held at Park City, about an hour away.

USA Curling TV Schedule (all times EST)

All Midnight games shown tape delayed at 3am on NBCSN

All 5am games shown live on USA

All 10am games shown tape delayed at 5pm on CNBC

Monday 2/10

5am-Women vs SUI

10am-Men vs NOR

Tuesday 2/11

Midnight-Women vs RUS

5am-Men vs CHN

10am-Women vs GBR

Wednesday 2/12

Midnight-Men vs DEN

5am-Women vs CHN

Thursday 2/13

5am-Men vs GBR

10am-Women vs JAP

Friday 2/14

Midnight-Men vs GER

5am-Women vs DEN

10am-Men vs RUS

Saturday 2/15

10am-Women vs SWE

Sunday 2/16

Midnight-Men vs CAN

5am-Women vs CAN

10am-Men vs SWE

Monday 2/17

Midnight-Women vs KOR

5am-Men vs SUI

USA Hockey TV Schedule (all times EST)

All games shown live on NBCSN

Saturday 2/8

3am-Women vs FIN

Monday 2/10

5am-Women vs SUI

Wednesday 2/12

7:30am-Women vs CAN

Thursday 2/13

7:30am-Men vs SVK

Saturday 2/15

7:30am-Men vs RUS

Sunday 2/16

7:30am-Men vs SLO

So, like, how does it work when a country in the Southern Hemisphere hosts the Olympics? Do they host the Summer Olympics in December? Or the winter games in July? Seems rude to make them adhere to Northern Hemisphere rules.

I know Sydney hosted the 2000 summer Olympics. Was it held during OUR summer months, or theirs?

So, like, how does it work when a country in the Southern Hemisphere hosts the Olympics? Do they host the Summer Olympics in December? Or the winter games in July? Seems rude to make them adhere to Northern Hemisphere rules.

I know Sydney hosted the 2000 summer Olympics. Was it held during OUR summer months, or theirs?

The 2000 Summer Olympics were held in September, which is a bit later than a usual Summer Olympiad. Sydney's average high only varies 17 degrees between January and July, so it was possible to have the games during what was Australia's early spring.

Rio de Janeiro only has an 8 degree variance between average highs in January and July, so the usual August date is not a problem there.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)

They are traditionally held in August.

Remember that the equator runs through the middle (more or less) of South America and Africa, so even the southern parts of those continents are in pretty warm climates.

Sydney is 34 degrees south, comparable to Myrtle Beach, which is about 34 degrees north

Rio is about 23 degrees south, comparable to Havana which is about 23 degrees north

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

The 2000 Summer Olympics were held in September and October (their early spring). Sydney's pretty temperate even in the middle of their winter, and average highs in those months are in the 60's. So it still tries to follow the Northern Hemisphere, but it does adjust a few months here or there.

I don't see a single time that the Winter Olympics have been in the Southern Hemisphere, and the Summer Olympics have only been there twice*.

*thanks LH

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
USA Curling TV Schedule (all times EST)

All Midnight games shown tape delayed at 3am on NBCSN

All 5am games shown live on USA

All 10am games shown tape delayed at 5pm on CNBC

Monday 2/10

5am-Women vs SUI

10am-Men vs NOR

Tuesday 2/11

Midnight-Women vs RUS

5am-Men vs CHN

10am-Women vs GBR

Wednesday 2/12

Midnight-Men vs DEN

5am-Women vs CHN

Thursday 2/13

5am-Men vs GBR

10am-Women vs JAP

Friday 2/14

Midnight-Men vs GER

5am-Women vs DEN

10am-Men vs RUS

Saturday 2/15

10am-Women vs SWE

Sunday 2/16

Midnight-Men vs CAN

5am-Women vs CAN

10am-Men vs SWE

Monday 2/17

Midnight-Women vs KOR

5am-Men vs SUI

can't wait to see Shuster choke again.

The 2000 Summer Olympics were held in September and October (their early spring). Sydney's pretty temperate even in the middle of their winter, and average highs in those months are in the 60's. So it still tries to follow the Northern Hemisphere, but it does adjust a few months here or there.

I don't see a single time that the Winter Olympics have been in the Southern Hemisphere, and the Summer Olympics have only been there once.

I have a hard time seeing the Winter Olympics ever being in the Southern Hemisphere. Very few SH countries participate, and only New Zealand has ever won a medal.

I meant more in terms of the nomenclature used for those games. I know Australia has pretty warm temps all year round, I just meant the fact that we force them to call it the Winter Games when they are held during the time they would call summer. Seems the host city shouldn't have to change for everyone else.

The "Summer Olympics" are officially just called the "Games of the [roman numeral] Olympiad" and don't actually use the word summer, but everybody calls it that to distinguish them from the "[roman numeral] Olympic Winter Games".

Regardless of the season in the host country at the time of the event, the sports being contested are "summer" sports so they are still referred to as the "Summer Olympics"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)

I don't see a single time that the Winter Olympics have been in the Southern Hemisphere, and the Summer Olympics have only been there once.

Looking at where the equator is located, the Northern Hempisphere is greatly more populated than the Southern Hemisphere. The only places I could imagine even capable of hosting a Winter Olympics in the South are Chile or New Zealand.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
I have a hard time seeing the Winter Olympics ever being in the Southern Hemisphere. Very few SH countries participate, and only New Zealand has ever won a medal.

Maybe Chile? They've got the Andes and participate every year (though they've never medaled in the winter games). But most of the SH is about 2/3's of Sub-Saharan Africa, 3/4's of South America, the SE Asia islands, and then Australia and New Zealand.

It's also very much about the corruption and money and sponsors, so it's no surprise that most games are held in wealthier Northern Hemisphere countries.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
The "Summer Olympics" are officially just called the "Games of the [roman numeral] Olympiad" and don't actually use the word summer, but everybody calls it that to distinguish them from the "[roman numeral] Olympic Winter Games".

Regardless of the season in the host country at the time of the event, the sports being contested are "summer" sports so they are still referred to as the "Summer Olympics"

Yeah it's just about the set of sports being played.