2014 Winter Olympics

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
The 2000 Summer Olympics were held in September and October (their early spring). Sydney's pretty temperate even in the middle of their winter, and average highs in those months are in the 60's. So it still tries to follow the Northern Hemisphere, but it does adjust a few months here or there.

I don't see a single time that the Winter Olympics have been in the Southern Hemisphere, and the Summer Olympics have only been there once.

Twice. 2000 Sydney and the 1956 Olympics held in Melbourne from November 22 to December 8.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
So the media has descended on Sochi and the hotels are not ready nor fully functional.

http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-...dium=socialflow

Doesnt surprise me. I heard there is some real concerns about the construction quality of all the buildings... hotel and venues. Corruption + Behind Schedule = Shoddy craftsmanship and cheaper materials.

‏@CharlesRobinson

We'll trade you our raw sewage bathroom. RT @alanspringer: Sochi hotel room: no wifi, tv, heat, working lock on front door or shower curtain

@CharlesRobinson

Seriously, there are so many weird things on the walls/ceilings of our apartment, I'm almost certain our place is being bugged/surveilled.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
It makes you wonder where the $51 billion they have spent on the Olympics has gone.

If you read the stories it sounds like at least a third has gone right into people's pockets for no other reason than they can get it. The firms doing the work know nothing about construction which is a double whammy.

The IOC is an embarrassment.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
The IOC should be embarrassed. This is a joke.

Im not sure anything would embarrass the IOC

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Nice water.

ku-medium.jpg

Mexico has Montezumas revenge, Russia has Stalins revenge

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
You forgot the green.

I'm serious.

I didn't remember anything like this during the Chinese Olympics and I'd think Russia is a little less corrupt than China and could actually get something done.

Edit: NVM, I was wrong. The PRC is somehow less corrupt than Russia. http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
The Olympic selection is a sham and everyone knows it now. The next 2 Olympics could be complete train wrecks.

Not just the Olympics, but the World Cup too.

These are arguably the largest, most prestigious international sporting events and since 2008 the hosts look like this:

Beijing

South Africa

Vancouver

London

Sochi

Brazil

Rio de Janeiro

Pyeongchang

Russia

Tokyo

Qatar

So 7 out of the last 11 events have been sketchy or problematic for one reason or another (thirty) reasons

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm serious.

I didn't remember anything like this during the Chinese Olympics and I'd think Russia is a little less corrupt than China and could actually get something done.

Edit: NVM, I was wrong. The PRC is somehow less corrupt than Russia. http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results

Brazil is ranked 72nd with a score of 42.

By comparison... Rank - City (score)

1- Denmark (91)

14 -United Kingdom (76)

19 - United States (73)

127 - Russia (28)

175 - North Korea (8)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Brazil is ranked 72nd with a score of 42.

By comparison... Rank - City (score)

1- Denmark (91)

14 -United Kingdom (76)

19 - United States (73)

127 - Russia (28)

175 - North Korea (8)

Pyeongchang is in S. Korea.

The thought of having any sort of major sporting event in N. Korea makes me cringe.

Edited by chw42