2014 Winter Olympics

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm serious.

I didn't remember anything like this during the Chinese Olympics and I'd think Russia is a little less corrupt than China and could actually get something done.

Edit: NVM, I was wrong. The PRC is somehow less corrupt than Russia. http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results

China isn't corrupt, it's just lacking in human rights. It's easy to get stuff done when the government can do what it wants, when it wants.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
China isn't corrupt, it's just lacking in human rights. It's easy to get stuff done when the government can do what it wants, when it wants.

No, it is very corrupt.

People bribe officials with gifts and money all the time. Of course it's looked down upon, but it doesn't mean it isn't done.

People who work as officials in the Chinese government don't make a lot of money, but most of them live a lavish life style with numerous houses and cars. How do you think it got that way?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
I was using North Korea as a reference point... it's the lowest on the scale. Russia is only 20 points higher.

Ah Ok. Yeah, I definitely wasn't aware that Russia was that corrupt.

It seems pretty hard to have such a high level of corruption when you're a country with open elections.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
No, it is very corrupt.

People bribe officials with gifts and money all the time. Of course it's looked down upon, but it doesn't mean it isn't done.

People who work as officials in the Chinese government don't make a lot of money, but most of them live a lavish life style with numerous houses and cars. How do you think it got that way?

That's true, I guess I meant it more relatively to Russia.

Either way, please remember that toilet paper only goes in the garbage bin, not in the toilet.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Do you drink Coors Light? Because it's the same thing but a lot cheaper

It's not the same thing.

Same beer family, but not the same.

If internet rumors can be believed, then Keystone is made from leftover Coors. But at the same time, you'll also find people talking about how Coors and Keystone are the same thing, just different cans since Keystone cans are dented.

Either way, from my experience, Keystone tastes like water and Coors tastes a little less like water and more like beer.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
I have done sober taste tests of Coors and Keystone. You can't tell the difference. It's all a placebo effect.

I haven't had Keystone in like two years, so maybe I don't remember the taste anymore.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
No, it is very corrupt.

In the good ole US of A those doing the bribing are called unions/lobbyists the main difference is those getting the kickbacks are hiring qualified firms/individuals to do the work.

Because there's absolutely NOTHING political about the Olympics and the IOC...

Thomas Bach, IOC President, Slam Politicians Over Sochi Olympics

IOC President Thomas Bach accused world leaders Tuesday of using the Sochi Olympics as a political platform "on the backs of the athletes," and of snubbing the games without even being invited.

------

Without naming any individuals, Bach's comments appeared directed at President Barack Obama and European politicians who have taken stands against Russia's law banning gay "propaganda" among minors.

The Olympics, Bach said, should not be "used as a stage for political dissent or for trying to score points in internal or external political contests."

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
Maybe the Olympics shouldnt promote countries that dont recognize basic human rights.

Simple solutions to stupid problems.

Yes, but the quality of human rights in a country is inversely proportional to the amount a country is willing to pay under the table, so they have to choose one or the other. Option B tends to win out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes, but the quality of human rights in a country is inversely proportional to the amount a country is willing to pay under the table, so they have to choose one or the other. Option B tends to win out.

Then the Olympic's shouldnt b**** when I validly point out their hypocrisy. The head(s) of the Olympics should just fly their fancy planes and hang their heads in shame.

Unfinished Sochi Cultural Center Just Covered Up With Tarp

Thousands of residents of Sochi's Imereti Valley were evicted from the land that would become the Olympic complex and despite their legal challenges and protests, were resettled in nearby Nekrasovskoye, a village built from scratch.

Residents were promised that it would be lovely, with parks, a playground, a tennis court, and a Sochi Cultural Center that would prove a big draw for Olympic visitors.

But then you look at some photos of Nekrasovskoye, taken Jan. 27. There is no park, no playground, no tennis court, and the Cultural Center is just a concrete skeleton.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.png

This project will, of course, never be finished. As soon as the Olympics are over, the government will completely forger where Sochi is.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000