2014 Winter Olympics

NBC News' Richard Engel: My Computers, Cellphone Were Hacked 'Almost Immediately' In Sochi

Engel decided to test Russia's privacy system with the help of American computer security expert Kyle Wilhoit, who set him up with two brand new computers and a phony identity, with fake names and addresses. When Engel connected them to the Internet in Sochi, he said he quickly received a suspicious email and was shocked when his computer was hijacked immediately after opening the email.

"In a minute, hackers were snooping around," he said. "The same thing happened with my cellphone -- it was very fast and very professional."

Within 24 hours, both of Engel's computers and his cell phone had been invaded, giving hackers the ability to tap and record phone calls. Brian Williams reported Tuesday night that "visitors of Russia can expect to be hacked"-- and it's not just reporters.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Eh I'm not sure how much the US media should really harp on the Russian government about that given all of the NSA programs that have come out over the last year.

Yes being hacked by the Russian mafia and having your identity stolen is very similar to the NSA as they have been known to sell your personal information on the black-market to make a buck.

I have no issue with the NSA and how they work.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I have a neighbor who works for NBC. He turned down some pretty good money by not working this Olympics.

I have a number of friends working on the medical staff. The texts are hilarious but at the same time disturbing about the conditions. They obviously very concerned about the health of the athletes from many different aspects.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Yes being hacked by the Russian mafia and having your identity stolen is very similar to the NSA as they have been known to sell your personal information on the black-market to make a buck.

I have no issue with the NSA and how they work.

Target hack anyone?

I mean I'm all for making fun of Russia's corruption here, but it seems like people are just sort of piling on now with little or no reflection for how their own countries operate. People in the US get hacked all of the time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
I have a number of friends working on the medical staff. The texts are hilarious but at the same time disturbing about the conditions. They obviously very concerned about the health of the athletes from many different aspects.

did they at least not f*** up the condom supply?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
Target hack anyone?

I mean I'm all for making fun of Russia's corruption here, but it seems like people are just sort of piling on now with little or no reflection for how their own countries operate. People in the US get hacked all of the time.

Yea, the target hack that originated in Russia

And I'm not saying that hacks don't originate in the US, it's just funny you picked one started by a Russian hacker

Check out this guy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Gonzalez

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Target hack anyone?

Well the reporter was setup with a phony identity, so it seems strange that it could have been targeting media personnel.

So why is the Olympics beginning tomorrow, anyways? Doesn't it traditionally begin on a Sunday?

The Opening Ceremonies are Friday, but in most Olympics there are a few preliminary events that start a day or two before the OC. I know in Summer Olympics there are always early soccer games.

There are no Sochi bathroom issues. How do we know? Russia checked the bathroom spy cameras...

Russia Says Its Sochi Bathroom Spy Cameras Show No Plumbing Problems

Dmitry Kozak, the deputy prime minister responsible for the Olympic preparations, reflected the view held among many Russian officials that some Western visitors are deliberately trying to sabotage Sochi's big debut out of bias against Russia. "We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
I think one benefit from the disaster that is the Sochi Olympics is that all three of the Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, and World Cup will be returning to the US soon.

As much as I dont like the idea of a Chicago Olympics, I kinda want it.