Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
Seems like everyone is forgetting we still have Johnson under the wings, who has the potential to be a #2 starter along with all of our new pieces.

Sale, Quintana, E. Johnson, Abreu, Eaton, Garcia, Davidson

Wow. That is one heck of a young core.

You can still add Dayan to that along with Jones.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
With all due respect, who gives a s*** about Connor Gillaspie? With Davidson coming in, he isn't the 3B of tomorrow. He isn't even the 3B of today anymore. Unless Davidson isn't ready, you send Connor to Charlotte. If someone claims him, oh well.

I don't think anyone is going to freak if Connor is gone, I know I won't, I'd just rather have him on the roster than Keppinger.

And that has nothing to do with hating Kepp, I think Connor just makes more sense on this roster.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
So for those keeping score at home, the Sox have managed to acquire their probable future #1, #3, #4, and #5 hitters in the last 6 months. Those hitters the Sox have gotten are under team control for 22 years. 6 for Abreu and Davidson, 5 for Garcia and Eaton.

Beautiful. The fumigation process is well under way. I still see Viciedo on the roster, though - he of the negative WAR/96 wRC+ caliber. Get him the hell out of here, please.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
Gillaspie makes zero sense on the bench. He can only back up 1 position. That would leave backups for DH, C, and 3b on the bench, and 1 backup covering 5 other positions.

Gillaspie's LHness is nice but he's not nearly flexible enough.

Just a thought...Trade Dunn, CG shares first with Paulie.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Keith law insider piece saying the sox won the trade.

Basically praises Hahn for recognizing we have the ability to replace Reed, and for getting a young bright 3B in the deal.

LAW LOVES HAHN!

Keith Law does not have a vendetta against the White Sox...you don't say?

I must sound like a broken record at this point.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the trade! Rick obviously has a vision here, and I like it. This young core is very exciting, and I have a feeling Rick is not done yet.

I wish Addison nothing but the best in the desert. Great guy, and very talented. I am happy to hear the Snakes will give him 9th inning duties.

As for the bench, let's let the rest of the offseason play out. As other have mentioned, Gillaspie doesn't make a ton of sense on a roster with Davidson, but I'd still much rather have him around than Keppinger. Hopefully they can find someone to take Kepp off our hands for .75 cents on the dollar.

Very exciting news...I love what Hahn has done to this team since last July. Next year may be painful, but the sox are going to have a boatload of cash next offseason. Give Gordo, Viciedo, and Flowers / Phegley one more year to prove if they're everyday MLBers. If not, go out and add to this young core and do battle for the Central in 2015.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
Keith law insider piece saying the sox won the trade.

Basically praises Hahn for recognizing we have the ability to replace Reed, and for getting a young bright 3B in the deal.

LAW LOVES HAHN!

Law will likely take whatever side the prospect is on. Though he does hate closers I believe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 55s

GM Rick Hahn on Davidson: "We view him as potential middle of order, run-producing 3B for a long time"

He could be very wrong, but the risk is worth it.

Four new starting, young players in 2014, and the pitching for the most part remains in-tact. Rick Hahn has my approval.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
With all due respect, who gives a s*** about Connor Gillaspie? With Davidson coming in, he isn't the 3B of tomorrow. He isn't even the 3B of today anymore. Unless Davidson isn't ready, you send Connor to Charlotte. If someone claims him, oh well.

If you write this deal as "Gillaspie + Reed for Davidson" it might look slightly worse. Not hugely, but he's still an asset.

Sadly, there'd be a solid role for Gillaspie on this team if it hadn't kept...well...you know.

I'd love for someone to make a summary at the start of spring training of what Hahn inherited and all of his moves to get to this point. Listen, very likely not all of A. Garcia, L Garcia, Eaton and Davidson will work out. But if some of them do, that's 1 less position you'd have to fill with Free Agency. Because that was basically our only option.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
This trade is exciting and I know they're building for the future, but the White Sox are going to lose 100 games in 2014. I hope everyone can stomach that. It's gonna be tough.

I honestly won't care if we see exciting baseball from young players who progress and grow and get better throughout the season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

Four new starting, young players in 2014, and the pitching for the most part remains in-tact. Rick Hahn has my approval.

Agreed. I love this rebuilding on the fly he is going with. Finding young talent, but major league ready, not just players in A or AA. Get a little lucky, you might be competing much sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)

Correct. One of the big knocks on him is his footwork, I think we have a decent position coach that can help with that.

The Sox EASILY can add another reliever via trade or FA.

HOLY CRAP this is a great trade!!!! The young talent that Hahn is acquiring is ridiculous! As for Davidson like someone said earlier I was kind of hoping for him or Owings last year. Kind of makes me wonder wtf Towers is doing tho?.....

LOOOOOVE this!!!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)

The pitching isn't really remaining intact at all. We've lost 3 starters and our closer in the past year. The two most key pieces are there but every other spot is a question mark going forward. Hopefully people step up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

Agreed, we have a reason to watch games...at least until June again. If the same stale roster was trotted out, no one would have been buying it.