Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
We'd be in that place with Connor around as well. he isn't a long term solution. He is a temporary fix.

Indeed. I'm not criticizing the deal, I think this is a fantastic deal for sox and a move we have to make. I was only responding to the "What the hell was Kevin Towers thinking!?" posts.

But this deal will be much less impressive if he ends up having to move to DH, LF or 1b.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
I would say that is an indication that the top of the White Sox system has improved dramatically over the last 12 months.

Eaton and Avi aren't eligible, right?

So Abreu, EJ, Semien and Davidson I assume is how they have it. Ya, not bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
I don't see Rienzo in the rotation.

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Paulino

Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Webb

Petricka

Veal

Leesman

Rienzo to AAA, will be the first call up in case a starter is needed.

I think Paulino was acquired exclusively to be a starter. Ideally, we need a long reliever, and it would seem that Rienzo might fit that profile, or we go out and buy someone. We also need a veteran LH reliever, not Veal AND Leesman.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
All signs point to Hahn having no interest in long rebuilds. All trades he's made so far, he's only targeting 1 player who's close to ML ready, and not any low A players which would reduce the total amount of talent he can net in the return.

I like that about him. If his plan fails, at least I can see his thought process.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Anyone think that Gillaspie could be moved next? Keppinger could just fill in at third until Davidson got promoted. I know Miami has been desperately looking for someone and Gillaspie has shown he can be decent and hes a left-handed bat.

It's difficult to see any situation where Davidson isn't the starting 3b out of ST other than injury.

I think it's very obvious Gillaspie will be moved. They may hold onto him through ST hoping they can find a buyer if he has a good spring, but they're not going to block Davidson with him unless someone gets hurt, and there's zero space for Gillaspie on this roster.

I'd say there's a real good chance Gillaspie is moved and Keppinger is uncerimoniously dumped somewhere as well. Neither of them fit on this roster that well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
I'd bet it is Abreu, Johnson, Hawkins, Davidson.

You're probably right as far as what they have. How someone could have Hawkins higher than Davidson or Semien I'm not so sure but this isn't the right place to discuss that.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
So it looks like one of De Aza and Viciedo are likely to go and then Gillaspie and Keppinger? With L. Garcia or Elmore being the backup?

There was also a "They're still trying to move Dunn, De Aza" blurb early in this thread. Levine I think.

I'd guess 3 of De Aza, Dunn, Gillaspie, and Keppinger aren't with this team opening day.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
You're probably right as far as what they have. How someone could have Hawkins higher than Davidson or Semien I'm not so sure but this isn't the right place to discuss that.

It is all about the ceiling. Hawkins still hit with power. I read some scouting report that if he could learn to shorten his swing and use all fields the scout swears he will be a star. That is easier said than done.

I hope it would be Dunn honestly. I like the idea of Viciedo DHing and De Aza playing left and being flipped in June/July to a team that needs a left or center fielder.

Edit: Paulie and De Aza would platoon in this situation I guess? De Aza against righties in left with Viciedo Dhing and Viciedo in left with Paulie DHing against lefties?

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
Indeed. I'm not criticizing the deal, I think this is a fantastic deal for sox and a move we have to make. I was only responding to the "What the hell was Kevin Towers thinking!?" posts.

But this deal will be much less impressive if he ends up having to move to DH, LF or 1b.

Towers is in a win now/still cost conscious mode and when he got Trumbo he needed to move Davidson. Obviously he and Hahn had good discussions and in the end the trade goes;

Reed, Santiago, Jacobs for Davidson and Eaton

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
There was also a "They're still trying to move Dunn, De Aza" blurb early in this thread. Levine I think.

I'd guess 3 of De Aza, Dunn, Gillaspie, and Keppinger aren't with this team opening day.

What I hope is De Aza, Dunn and Keppinger is gone

What I expect is De Aza, Gillaspie and Keppinger to be gone

Either way, I'm excited to see what else Hahn has up his sleeve.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I hope it would be Dunn honestly. I like the idea of Viciedo DHing and De Aza playing left and being flipped in June/July to a team that needs a left or center fielder.

Edit: Paulie and De Aza would platoon in this situation I guess? De Aza against righties in left with Viciedo Dhing and Viciedo in left with Paulie DHing against lefties?

I agree, still way to early to give up on Viciedo. With a good year, he can easily be part of the core.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
So it looks like one of De Aza and Viciedo are likely to go and then Gillaspie and Keppinger? With L. Garcia or Elmore being the backup?

I'd guess De Aza, Gillaspie, and Keppinger are all gone at the very minimum. I think Dunn, Beckham, and Ramirez are probably being shopped at the moment too.

If just the first 3 are moved (and depending on who is brought back), I think you see a bench of Nieto, Elmore, Danks, and Konerko. If you move Dunn, you could see another bat being added or perhaps Gillaspie remains on the team. If Beckham is moved, I see Semien making the roster. If Ramirez is moved, I see a competition between Garcia and Semien for the SS spot.

I am legitimately excited for the team at this point.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I agree, still way to early to give up on Viciedo. With a good year, he can easily be part of the core.

The problem with Viciedo is we don't know what the coaching staff says about him behind the scenes. They could think he just had a bad year and the injuries made it worse...or they could be calling him "uncoachable". If the staff doesn't think they can salvage him, this staff will still be here this year, so it would make more sense to get whatever you can for him now and let someone else take a shot at him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba 1h

Did our #WhiteSox top 30; newly acquired Matt Davidson would slot in No. 4, right where @BaseballAmerica had him in #Diamondbacks system

Who would be #1-#3?

Abreu

Johnson

Semien?

I am guessing Eaton and Avi are no longer considered "prospects"..

I wonder what this means for the Charlotte squad? Start Semien at SS and Sanchez at 2B? I see Semien stepping in for Beckham before Sanchez is ready but I would hate to see either hinder each others playing time. This offseason has me very excited, all these acquisitions and a 3rd overall pick. Lineup is looking something like:

Eaton

Beckham/Semien

Abreu

Dunn

Garcia

Davidson

Viciedo

Ramirez

Phegley/Flowers