Who Closes?

Jose Abreu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't think it matters if the club isn't competitive. I think you have the freedom to give several tryouts to see what you have.

Yeah, this will shake out over the course of the season. Jones gets first shot in ST, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lindstrom gets some reps too. If either falters, Webb is in the picture.

Rock did mention something about bringing a vet in to compete for the job...not sure if that is something he heard or just something he would do.

The closer markey is still pretty deep...

Andrew Bailey (30)

Grant Balfour (36)

Joaquin Benoit (36)

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Chris Perez (28)

Fernando Rodney (37)

Jose Veras (33)

Carlos Marmol (31)

Brandon Lyon (34)

Brett Myers (33)

Francisco Rodriguez (31)

All those guys have some kind of closers experience.

If you're one of those who don't believe the Sox can compete, then at the very least whoever they pickup could be traded at the deadline(assuming they succeed).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I'd sign Andrew Bailey to a two year deal and groom Webb for closing in '15. Bailey puts it together this year and you move him at the trade deadline or in the offseason.

I would take Perez or Madson as buy low candidates and try to flip them at the deadline and give the younger guys some more time at AAA. Also give you a chance to ease Jones into the role, he wasn't very good to start the season last year and I dont think you want to put a lot or pressure on him again out of the gate to perform.

I think Jones has a chance to be really good as a closer. Both his fastball and slider can get swing and misses, and when he's pitching he's all arms and legs.

Seriously. I don't think some folks on here appreciate how good he can be.

He slashed more than a full walk off of his walk rate last year. What if that continues to improve? :wub:

Rock did mention something about bringing a vet in to compete for the job...not sure if that is something he heard or just something he would do.

The closer markey is still pretty deep...

Andrew Bailey (30)

Grant Balfour (36)

Joaquin Benoit (36)

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Chris Perez (28)

Fernando Rodney (37)

Jose Veras (33)

Carlos Marmol (31)

Brandon Lyon (34)

Brett Myers (33)

Francisco Rodriguez (31)

All those guys have some kind of closers experience.

If you're one of those who don't believe the Sox can compete, then at the very least whoever they pickup could be traded at the deadline(assuming they succeed).

Each one of those guys is going to be as expensive as all get out...We don't need them.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Each one of those guys is going to be as expensive as all get out...We don't need them.

This. I know we have money to spend but I'm not wasting it on a closer. Jones or Webb or Petricka or Shingo or Hermanson or Jenks will do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Jones out of the gate, Belisario, Lindstrom could be fillin options if he struggles, either Webb or Petricka could be set for that role long term.

Possibly this will be decided by a trade or FA signing? I do like Jones though. Will Jesse Crain return?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
Possibly this will be decided by a trade or FA signing? I do like Jones though. Will Jesse Crain return?

I really don't like the idea of bringig in a right handed vet for this pen. I really want to I've one of the rookies the last spot.

But a lefty veteran, I'm game.