Who Closes?

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Dunn will probably have more trade value at the deadline than he does now

And what does he bring you then? Probably not s***, just like now. Dump his ass, because the PA he's going to eat in 2014 aren't worth sacrificing the development of anyone who may be in our future plans.

For f***s sake, 2+ years of Alex Rios gets you Leury Garcia on waivers & you still have to pay $1M. Dunn is bringing back nobody even if you eat his deal. So eat it now, see if you can get anything useful for the 2014 club in the process, i.e. another lefty arm to challenge Leesman & Veal is probably more useful to us than Dunn, and don't give him any PAs. There is literally like no upside here. We suck, so does he. Cut the f***in cord.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
It takes removing a guy with $9 million of dead money on his contract and another guy with 2 more pre-arb seasons in order to make that be the bench. That's my problem with it.

And neither of those guys have a place on the team with the addition of Davidson.

I, personally, would much rather have a bench of PK-Catcher-Garcia-Danks than Catcher-Garcia-Danks-Gillaspie or Kepp.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
And what does he bring you then? Probably not s***, just like now. Dump his ass, because the PA he's going to eat in 2014 aren't worth sacrificing the development of anyone who may be in our future plans.

For f***s sake, 2+ years of Alex Rios gets you Leury Garcia on waivers & you still have to pay $1M. Dunn is bringing back nobody even if you eat his deal. So eat it now, see if you can get anything useful for the 2014 club in the process, i.e. another lefty arm to challenge Leesman & Veal is probably more useful to us than Dunn, and don't give him any PAs. There is literally like no upside here. We suck, so does he. Cut the f***in cord.

There will most certainly be a team in July that won't mind paying a few million for the last couple months of Dunn if it means he can mash some HR for them down the stretch and help them get to the playoffs. I promise you.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
More than they do already? Jones being promoted has literally no effect on this.

Yeah, averages 97+ with the fastball with a hard breaking slider, yeah, no intimidation at all.

Who the hell cares? He doesn't need to brush back his own kid at a father-son game, he just needs to get guys out. With his stuff, there's plenty of intimidation.

You can throw 100 all you want, it seems to me hitters look a lot more comfortable against jones than any other hard thrower, for example a guy like grant Balfour. Look all I'm saying is jones has a lot of ability and talent, he needs to use these things to his advantage. I think a lot of that is that he tends to nibble, he should look to get ahead with fastball put away with the nasty slider. Seems to me he kinda goes backward a bit. I mean I think if any of us had a 100 mph fastball and that nasty slider, our mentality and "edge" would be I'm gonna get you, here it is if you don't duck I'm gonna run you over. And I'm not talking hitting anybody. Check the hard throwing closers of the past, gossage, Nen, Benitez, even Jenks his first year, you could see hitters were not to comfortable in that box, they used that to their advantage, Just saying Jones can do this, he needs that edge to him. That's all

I ask this again, isn't Jones the guy who draws comps to Keith Foulke? I was still a young lad during his time but looking at his stats and based on limited memory the guy was really good.

Another thing, a previous poster brought up something like "if you eliminate a few games, Addison was really dominate" well same thing could be said about Jones. There were 3 games where he really got lit up to the tune of 12 runs in 2 inning. If those games don't happen you're looking at a 2.84 ERA...Take out Reeds 3 worst games and his era is 2.71.

Furthermore, if you eliminate Lindstroms worst 3 games his ERA was 1.96, and Hahn said he will be considered as well.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
If his workout is impressive enough to sign him, use the closer role as incentive for Ryan Madson.

I don't agree with several people who said "who cares who closes, next year is a lost year" I don't think the White Sox will contend next year but I think it is important to have a closer who is somewhat effective. Hopefully next year the Sox will put 4 or 5 young players on the field who represent our future. We appear to have pretty good young starting pitching. We need to create a winning atmosphere both for the young players as well as the fans. If we end up constantly blowing games in the late innings it could affect the clubhouse and fan interest. Reed was a pretty good closer in that he had 40 saves to 8 BLSV. I don't expect them to find another 40 game save guy next year but we also don't want them to throw out a 20/8 guy either.