Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
All I can say is that if we do throw crazy money at this guy, I hope it's because they really think he can succeed and not because Hahn got in a pissing contest with Theo.

That doesn't strike me as Hahn nor this organization. JR would never let Hahn spend this kind of money to show Theo his is bigger than his. They have never thrown this kind of money around, I think JDA just signed the largest in history. If they are throwing $100 million plus at this guy, there is no doubt they have done extensive scouting and homework on him and view him as a major difference maker for years.

The fact we are even in it, if we even are. The fact those three and maybe even JR flew out to LA to meet him. Makes it pretty clear IMO we think this guy is the real deal. And if they think he's the real deal I don't blame them one bit for throwing a lot of money at the Possibility of Sale/Tanaka combo.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

I also think we are hearing a lot about the Cubs today because they have the Cub Convention tomorrow and Saturday, I think. I think they are drumming up interest for their base. They could very well sign him, if they do, I'd imagine it would be this weekend. I'm sure they'd love to announce it at the Cub convention.

On the other hand, how sweet would it be of he did sign this weekend with us and announced.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

It baffles me how upfront KW has been about Tanaka, their meeting, his desired circumstances, etc. It's just so damn out of character. I don't know if he's more loose-lipped because of his new position or if he knows he's got no chance and is looking to keep the fanbase interested or what. He normally saves these talks for after his target signs with somebody else, or is traded to another team.

Was thinking the same thing. This is very out of character for Kenny, he has rarely shown his hand upfront like this, maybe ARod when he was a FA, and Tori. Maybe it is just to drum up the Sox angle in all this with the Cubs Con this weekend, but few (Nationally) are taking them serious. Either way I'm pretty happy that they are trying to land him, it makes a lot of sense with Dunn coming off the books next year, along with a few other players. Only one team will get him, putting forth an effort is all any of us can ask for.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
Well thank goodness we have you here to set everyone straight! Wouldn't want anyone getting too excited over nothing!

The last thing we need here is people rioting when Tanaka signs somewhere else, thinking that we were right there in the thick of it. I'm pretty sure that's how you get cancer.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:07 AM)
The last thing we need here is people rioting when Tanaka signs somewhere else, thinking that we were right there in the thick of it. I'm pretty sure that's how you get cancer.

Nobody is going to riot. Anybody actually expecting the Sox to get Tanaka is crazy enough already. They have a legitimate chance to sign him but they likely will be outbid, and in the end, that's perfectly fine.

I think the fact that the Sox are even involved is quite telling on what direction the team is heading. I can't imagine the Sox even being interested in a potential $140 million guy a few years ago. I'm sure that the $20 million max posting fee is a big factor, but the moves the Sox have made since the Garcia acquisition has shown that they are truly focused on building for the future. Bringing in Tanaka on a 7-year deal (even at $20 million per) would help to solidify the future even more.

That being said, I'd still be very surprised if the Sox end up signing him. There's no doubt they will be outbid, so the hope is that Tanaka doesn't sign somewhere JUST for the money.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I think the fact that the Sox are even involved is quite telling on what direction the team is heading. I can't imagine the Sox even being interested in a potential $140 million guy a few years ago. I'm sure that the $20 million max posting fee is a big factor, but the moves the Sox have made since the Garcia acquisition has shown that they are truly focused on building for the future. Bringing in Tanaka on a 7-year deal (even at $20 million per) would help to solidify the future even more.

That being said, I'd still be very surprised if the Sox end up signing him. There's no doubt they will be outbid, so the hope is that Tanaka doesn't sign somewhere JUST for the money.

I think in most cases, foreign players are going to sign wherever they get the biggest offer. Their knowledge of MLB teams, facilities, coaching staffs, players, etc. is not going to be anywhere near what a current MLB free agent's is. If a team like the Sox is going to be able to sign these players when they don't offer the biggest contract (Abreu was a rare case of the Sox offering the most money), they better do their damndest to try and sell the team the best they can. I imagine it's hard to sell a foreign, non english speaking player on a team that isn't offering the biggest contract.

Pump those brakes Cub fans. Actually its really nothin just Tanaka's assistant saying no decision has been made nor travel plans. Thus this is still wide open.

[1/17/2014] Masahiro Tanaka: still nothing new to report

by Gen on Jan.17, 2014 @ 11:49 pm, under NPB

Masahiro Tanaka's assistant Yoshiki Sato spoke to reporters today and said, "There is still about a week left to go so I think things are not yet over.  The [travel] schedule has not been set."  When asked if he expected negotiations to drag out until the last minute, he replied, "That is not something we are trying to do.  The agent is handling everything and hopefully things work outs according to what [Tanaka] wants.  Nothing has been decided."

This is from a Yankee message board. TIFWIW

Posted: Yesterday 11:10 PM

RE: Masahiro Tanaka - Tanaka posted - Day 22 - 8 days left 

These sources confirm what I've been hearing! Tanaka signs with the ChiSox--or somebody else.

Reply | Quote

jwildfogel

34362 posts this site

Posted: Today 12:14 AM

RE: Masahiro Tanaka - Tanaka posted - Day 22 - 8 days left 

Renfield wrote: These sources confirm what I've been hearing! Tanaka signs with the ChiSox--or somebody else.

That is not at all what my sources are telling me.  They are saying that Tanaka is going to sign with the Cubs - or somebody else, or maybe the Dodgers or somebody else.  One of my sources also told me he was going to change the liner in my trash can while another source told me he'd hail a cab for me after he helped get Mrs. Calabash inside and out of the cold.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Pump those brakes Cub fans. Actually its really nothin just Tanaka's assistant saying no decision has been made nor travel plans. Thus this is still wide open.

[1/17/2014] Masahiro Tanaka: still nothing new to report

by Gen on Jan.17, 2014 @ 11:49 pm, under NPB

Masahiro Tanaka's assistant Yoshiki Sato spoke to reporters today and said, "There is still about a week left to go so I think things are not yet over.  The [travel] schedule has not been set."  When asked if he expected negotiations to drag out until the last minute, he replied, "That is not something we are trying to do.  The agent is handling everything and hopefully things work outs according to what [Tanaka] wants.  Nothing has been decided."

New York reads this as "HE HAS CHOSEN THE YANKEES! HURRAH!"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I'm with the can't believe KW is spilling the beans crowd. Even if the Sox offer isn't up to snuff, it has to be very significant. A lot more than they have ever offered anyone.

It makes me suspicious that this is a race that the front office intents to "come up just short" on. I don't doubt that we will make an offer, but this reeks of being happy to have a dog in the fight. Hahn has talked a lot about being more "active" in the international market and reshaping the franchise. Tanaka is a perfect example of a guy we at least have to create some press releases about.

Also, anyone notice how quickly this has killed all the Sale trade speculation? We went from discussing the pros and cons of effectively tanking for the foreseeable future to building a contender in 2014. Either way, it's a brilliant move by the front office and it will most likely will cost them nothing.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
I feel like even if the Sox don't get him, they are planning a fairly big move for shortly after Tanaka-thon ends.

I don't think so. JR has a history of allowing money for a special player but not willing to extend it for someone else. They must think Tanaka is a special player. I don't see any other current free agent as a "special player."

I think the only thing that may happen if the Sox do not get him is a trade for a catcher, if that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
Well, 1 WAR = $5M, right?

So he'd have to average 4 WAR per year.

Pitchers who had a 4 to 5 fWAR last year:

Derek Holland 4.8

Doug Fister 4.6

James Shields 4.5

Mat Latos 4.4

David Price 4.4

Jon Lester 4.3

Jhoulys Chacin 4.3

Hisashi Iwakuma 4.2

Jose Fernandez 4.2

Cole Hamels 4.2

A.J. Burnett 4.0

Pretty sure that the price of WAR has gone up to something near the 7M mark, so he would have to be as good as Rickey Nolasco (3WAR 3.59xFIP 200 IP) last year to be worth a 20M a year, Personally I think he lands around 16.5-18m per with a 6 year deal with an opt out after 4 years

KW never talks like this about a guy he is going to sign or acquire. It just doesn't happen. I think it possible that there's a trade possibility we haven't heard about and he is using Tanaka as a smoke screen. There's just no benefit to talking about it like he has and it isn't his MO.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
It makes me suspicious that this is a race that the front office intents to "come up just short" on. I don't doubt that we will make an offer, but this reeks of being happy to have a dog in the fight. Hahn has talked a lot about being more "active" in the international market and reshaping the franchise. Tanaka is a perfect example of a guy we at least have to create some press releases about.

Also, anyone notice how quickly this has killed all the Sale trade speculation? We went from discussing the pros and cons of effectively tanking for the foreseeable future to building a contender in 2014. Either way, it's a brilliant move by the front office and it will most likely will cost them nothing.

I don't think so. I think they are going to their limits to land him. They have been in on guys like Soler even Fukudome they offered more money than the Cubs.

25 year old, potential ace, all it costs you is money is exactly what rebuilding teams with not a lot of future contract committments should be looking for.

If, and it is a huge if this guy is as good as hoped, and say the Sox draft Hoffman #3. Rondon is compared to David Price, and I read 2 scouting reports that say Hoffman can get to that level of effectiveness. These are all ifs that couldn't be any bigger, but if they all remained healthy, you are looking at Sale, Tanaka, Hoffman, Quintana, Johnson or whomever else for a long stretch. That is 1990s-2000s Atlanta Braves. If any of the young offensive players reaches their potential, it would be a team that would be expected to make the playoffs year in and year out for quite a while.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I don't think so. JR has a history of allowing money for a special player but not willing to extend it for someone else. They must think Tanaka is a special player. I don't see any other current free agent as a "special player."

I think the only thing that may happen if the Sox do not get him is a trade for a catcher, if that.

Agree 100%. It seems like a lot of teams will go out and overspend on someone else just because they missed out on their guy, but that is totally not a JR, KW, RH type move. If they don't get Tanaka, they will more than likely wait for the next special player to come along. The Sox are one of the few teams that don't spend money just to spend money.