Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
5 more days fellas.. It makes me wonder, if the Sox were able to pull a move like that, how would it influence ticket sales.

I think there would be a minor but measureable boost, probably in the hundreds, of season tickets/ticket packages.

For this team, the big deal seems to be when they are able to put out ticket sale options to go along with postseason tickets.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I can't speak for everyone, but if the Sox somehow land Tanaka I will be buying at least a 14 game plan for me and my son this year. I am on the fence about it anyways, but that would put it over the top...

I said the same thing. I will be buying some sort of ticket package. This FO deserves our asses in the seats, regardless of the Tanaka outcome. They have done a good job this winter. However of Tanaka is signed, that day I will purchase a package out of peer pride and excitement for my team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
I think there would be a minor but measureable boost, probably in the hundreds, of season tickets/ticket packages.

For this team, the big deal seems to be when they are able to put out ticket sale options to go along with postseason tickets.

I think you'd see a major boost in press and overall coverage and you'd potentially see the Sox have the option to sell tv rights in Japan.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I said the same thing. I will be buying some sort of ticket package. This FO deserves our asses in the seats, regardless of the Tanaka outcome. They have done a good job this winter. However of Tanaka is signed, that day I will purchase a package out of peer pride and excitement for my team.

Do you guys ever think that maybe, just maybe, someone from the FO has read important threads here to see what the more intelligent fans think? Maybe not a Rick Hahn or a Kenny Williams, but someone lower down.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Do you guys ever think that maybe, just maybe, someone from the FO has read important threads here to see what the more intelligent fans think? Maybe not a Rick Hahn or a Kenny Williams, but someone lower down.

Here's hoping Jose Abreu The Player's production is the inverse of Jose Abreu The Poster's...production

EDIT: hurts me to rip a fellow Gimmick account, but there's just too much data taking me there

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I agree I think he ends up in LA. Up until last night I had downplayed the whole "his wife wants to be on the West Coast" thing. But after reading she's some major pop star in Japan and wants to still be able to pursue her career kind of dampened my hopes a bit. I think it's LALA land Tanaka. However I do think of its not them the Sox have a chance. Just the quietness, KW comments publicly, the fact we were the only "confirmed" meeting. I still have this gut feeling but well see.

Based on the numbers from the tweets this is where it stands:

AZ- 6 years- $115 million

NYY- 6 Years- $115 million

LA- 6- years- $120-125 million

CHC- 6 Years- $135-140 Million

CWS- ? ? ? ? ( was speculation of 4 Years- $125 million with options, never confirmed or reported on)

Why would it be easier to be a Japanese pop star in LA vs. a Japanese pop star in Chicago? Her husband can purchase an entire studio for her & pay her personal agent and production staff to make trips whenever they need to. The world has gotten a lot smaller as it is, and when you have $20M per year or more to play with there's not much you can't do.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Here's hoping Jose Abreu The Player's production is the inverse of Jose Abreu The Poster's...production

EDIT: hurts me to rip a fellow Gimmick account, but there's just too much data taking me there

I don't think it's that far-fetched.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)

Yes, all the time. Especially my posts.

Kenny watches from the trees though. Hahn's not quite so shadowy, but when you do see him he's ready to do business by any means necessary.

God I love how aggressive this team has been in the last seven months. Seven months, I'll say that again. Seven months. I was worried Hahn wouldn't move like KW does, but with KW behind the scenes & Hahn out in front they seem to work even quicker. This is great.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)

Gimmick account??

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Why would it be easier to be a Japanese pop star in LA vs. a Japanese pop star in Chicago? Her husband can purchase an entire studio for her & pay her personal agent and production staff to make trips whenever they need to. The world has gotten a lot smaller as it is, and when you have $20M per year or more to play with there's not much you can't do.

Let's be honest, people don't move to Chicago to pursue singing careers or whatever movies or what she wants to do. People move to LA, that's the lifestyle out there, plus its a lot easier to make connections out there. I don't know the reasoning just that's where she wants to be. Plus if she is some major pop star being in LA allows her to travel back to Japan easier shorter flights etc. I'm not saying she's the end all be all by any means, just made an observation off a nugget I hadn't heard before.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Lol at saying the Dodgers are always afar superior team than the Yankees. I can't even wrap my head around what that means.

If I said always I apologize but right now they are the far superior team. It isn't really debatable. Yankees rotation is a hot mess right now.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Let's be honest, people don't move to Chicago to pursue singing careers or whatever movies or what she wants to do. People move to LA, that's the lifestyle out there, plus its a lot easier to make connections out there. I don't know the reasoning just that's where she wants to be. Plus if she is some major pop star being in LA allows her to travel back to Japan easier shorter flights etc. I'm not saying she's the end all be all by any means, just made an observation off a nugget I hadn't heard before.

Yeah but she's not going to be networking with a bunch of other Japanese pop stars.

If she wants to do that stuff she'll probably need to spend a lot of time in Japan.

Well, in baseball you have an offseason (they'll be in Japan) plus long road trips (she can head to Japan) and so on. In the mean time I'm sure she'll have a few friends who wouldn't mind traveling all around the US basically living like Gods for free.

It's not that big of deal for her IMO. If she's willing to leave Japan at all and go halfway across the world then I think she probably has other priorities she is weighing over her best and most immediate career interests.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah but she's not going to be networking with a bunch of other Japanese pop stars.

If she wants to do that stuff she'll probably need to spend a lot of time in Japan.

Well, in baseball you have an offseason (they'll be in Japan) plus long road trips (she can head to Japan) and so on. In the mean time I'm sure she'll have a few friends who wouldn't mind traveling all around the US basically living like Gods for free.

It's not that big of deal for her IMO. If she's willing to leave Japan at all and go halfway across the world then I think she probably has other priorities she is weighing over her best and most immediate career interests.

There is a pretty big Jpop base in LA as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
If I said always I apologize but right now they are the far superior team. It isn't really debatable. Yankees rotation is a hot mess right now.

Definitely agree.

But things could change pretty quickly for LA with a couple key injuries. They have a lot of long-term money locked up in players right now who are paid like stars and superstars and aren't nearly playing at that level. But I agree, if Tanaka is going to go to NY or LA, if he wants to win he'll go to LA.

I think one of those teams gets him anyway but it's impressive that we've even been involved in this thing. Definitely not something we'd have done before. I wonder.... is JR going to.... can't even say this.... getting an itch to go Illitch? Certainly not, can't happen.... hmmmm.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
I'm still predicting NYY. It makes the most baseball sense, and if they're willing to spend $115m, why not $130m? I mean it isn't like they don't HAVE the money. If they're going to blow the luxury tax away at all, why be outbid by $10-15m?

How do they make sense ?