Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Who WOULDN'T want to live in LA?! I moved out here from Chicago 2 years ago, and I love it. I totally see why she'd want to live here.

BTW I'm wearing flip flops and shorts today, and it's actually hot in my office.

How's the weather in Chi-town? :shades

They would be spending the winter in Japan. It is really hard to beat Chicago in the summer with all it has to offer. Even Charles Barkley refers to Chicago as the greatest summer city in the US, and Chicago usually wins favorite city when they ask MLB players.

As a resident, I agree, Chicago sucks in the winter.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
They would be spending the winter in Japan. It is really hard to beat Chicago in the summer with all it has to offer. Even Charles Barkley refers to Chicago as the greatest summer city in the US, and Chicago usually wins favorite city when they ask MLB players.

As a resident, I agree, Chicago sucks in the winter.

This is a really good point. The best parts of the warm weather cities they aren't going to see anyway.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
How many artists record in LA? How many non-American stars try and break into the American movies/music/etc.

Its just nonsense to dismiss it.

It may be a reason, it may not be a reason, but if you are in the Entertainment industry, LA is a much better location than Chicago. I love Chicago, I hate LA, but those are the facts and theres no point in posting on a message board if we arent going to be honest with ourselves.

They can have their own f***ing studio. They can fly out anyone they like whenever they like. Most communication doesn't even take place face to face anymore, and when it is necessary, not much of a barrier when you're making $20M per year PLUS whatever you had before that.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
I trust neither Mr. Moreno's "Oh, he doesn't fit into our budget at this time" claptrap, nor do I believe the Bosox wouldn't try to steal this guy away from the Yanks, who could really use him. I'm wary of both of those organizations at the moment!

I don't think the Red Sox will be involved. They are going into spring training with 6 or 7 starters. I can't see them dropping $100 mil for another starter. Remember they backed off Abreu when the price went above $50 Mil.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
Dan Hayes says Sox made a strong pitch and tried to sell Tanaka on there future, Says he thinks Tanaka signs with Dodgers

Kaplan says Tanaka deal will be done by wednesday

I can't help but not see the White Sox as the favorite. If you think about the various factors that have been at play here, the White Sox lead in none of them.

-Most money? Maybe Cubs? Maybe Yankees? For sure not Sox.

-Biggest Japanese communities? LA by far. Sox lead only Arizona among leaders, I would guess.

-West Coast oriented? Better than NY, but still not LA.

-Winning World Series? Pretty much everyone except the Cubs are ahead of Sox.

Maybe they can put together some sort of a package that weaves things together, but I am just not convinced

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
I can't help but not see the White Sox as the favorite. If you think about the various factors that have been at play here, the White Sox lead in none of them.

-Most money? Maybe Cubs? Maybe Yankees? For sure not Sox.

-Biggest Japanese communities? LA by far. Sox lead only Arizona among leaders, I would guess.

-West Coast oriented? Better than NY, but still not LA.

-Winning World Series? Pretty much everyone except the Cubs are ahead of Sox.

Maybe they can put together some sort of a package that weaves things together, but I am just not convinced

See, the thing about this is: most money /= biggest offer. It's entirely possible that we have thrown out the biggest offer considering the slightly stressed financial situations of the other three teams involved. The first point is a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned. The other three, I agree with.

Given the luxury tax issues the two big-money teams involved have, plus the debt the Ricketts people have, I don't see why the Sox can't be the team with the most money to swing around. Are we willing to do so? Who knows

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
Given the luxury tax issues the two big-money teams involved have, plus the debt the Ricketts people have, I don't see why the Sox can't be the team with the most money to swing around. Are we willing to do so? Who knows

History.

We don't offer pitchers big contracts. The biggest pitching contract in White Sox history is held by a guy who is still coming off of the effects of his surgery and largely believed to be a horrible contract now. Also if the Sox contract offer is the largest of the bunch, it would have to literally be about double the dollars of the next biggest contract we have ever given out.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 44s

Gut feeling on this one: Three most likely spots for Tanaka seem to be #Dodgers, #Cubs, #Yankees. Things could change though.

So he pretty much eliminated us and the D'Backs, even though I think that we're the two most likely spots for Tanaka.