Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Mainframe stuff. I’m most familiar with Cobol, PL/1, CICS, JCL and Natural.

I’ve taken classes for Assembler, RPG, C++, VB, SQL and Python but I’ve never used them in the real world. For some reason I’ve never been able to get a real good handle on OOP.

Writing a lot of python these days to interface with networking equipment.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
I heard this on the Score yesterday. Between this and the new mascot, it's a done deal. I can't wait to see the novelty t-shirts the street vendors come up with. Maybe some Cub fans still have their Fukudome headbands that they can reuse.

I really wouldn't mind if the Sox weren't in the mix for Tanaka at all. I'm quite content with just the one foreign question mark they're throwing dollars and years at for now.

Maybe they should show Tanaka how the Cubs honored the last Japanese player on their team.

horrykow.jpg

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
This off topic but why didn't the angels get hahn when they were looking for gm

Could be any number of reasons. Ultimately, I think the plan was always to have Rick eventually take over in Chicago, even when he was the assistant GM. I believe he's from the Chicago area (or at least went to Northwestern for his undergrad) and he's likely happy in the area. It probably would have taken a very large salary to woo him away from Chicago. He interviewed for a couple others too, but either wasn't offered or didn't take the jobs.

Frankly, he could have been very upfront in the interview and said "I am pretty comfortable, but I want to listen to what you want and I will tell you what I want" and nothing ever matched up between those teams and Hahn.

Also, his job security in Chicago is far, far greater than it would be elsewhere. I don't know how Hawk's tenure ended, but that was the last time any Sox GM could even be considered fired (if he wasn't fired, it was likely a forced resignation).

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
really cubs that just wrong and that why i can't take the cubs seriously

Let's not pretend the Cubs organization had anything to do with those shirts. Rip the fans that bought them and actually wore them in public, but let's not act like the Cubs' marketing department created or distributed them.

Not sure about those lame headbands though.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Bunch of rumors claiming this or that, but Kenny was actually quoted that White Sox are very much in on Tanaka, until they hear 'no' .

Thanks.....didnt see the Heyman thing a few pages ago. Really cool...that should make everyone a little more optimistic.

If the sox land Tanaka do you move Johnson + to the astros for Castro? seeing how you can slot in Rienzo or Paulino in the 5th spot with Beck a stones throw away and a possible #3 pick of Rodon or Hoffman on the fast track?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
If the sox land Tanaka do you move Johnson + to the astros for Castro? seeing how you can slot in Rienzo or Paulino in the 5th spot with Beck a stones throw away and a possible #3 pick of Rodon or Hoffman on the fast track?

No. The upcoming draft should have 0 bearing on what we do with the major league team.

I would actually like to see them hold onto Johnson but I could see Beck and Bassistt being moved

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
No. The upcoming draft should have 0 bearing on what we do with the major league team.

I don't think you can say that absolutely. If there are guys you know are going to be there to chose, why would you value them differently than any other prospects within your system already? I know you won't be able to control how a guy is able to be developed until the day you sign him, but I think there are still some assumptions you might make given the position your drafting in.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)

I disagree, at #3 you have a very short list of who you're going to pick and their development table is going to be on average much shorter than most picks; especially with the white sox always being aggressive with assignments and promotions. I would consider that short list of players as good as in the system, and I think the sox go with pitching at #3.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Regardless of where Tanaka signs I would still draft a pitcher in June since there's supposed to be so much talent available at both the college and HS levels. If we sign Tanaka it just makes our future rotation look that much brighter with the #3 pick.

I would take a pitcher as well. We are pretty damn good at identifying pitchers and developing them. Pitching is always a golden commodity. If you get a stud at number 3 you go for it.

No. Depth, especially in the rotation, is incredibly important. The Sox are already looking at their #5 starter being out to open the year, so they'll open the season with #6, be it Rienzo or Surkamp. If you deal Johnson after signing Tanaka, you are back in the exact same spot. If any of those starters go down, you are back to depending on Surkamp and/or Rienzo. That's just not a situation you really want to be in.

I think you play the year out, give guys their chances, look for guys being made available during the Spring, and go from there.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
I would actually like to see them hold onto Johnson but I could see Beck and Bassistt being moved

Beck's value is limited at this point, though a breakout year could increase it dramatically. Bassitt doesn't have a lot of value on the trade market. He'll be viewed as a reliever. Whether that's fair or not isn't the point.