Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

Just an interesting though....if the Cubs do sign him for that deal that would make him tied for the 3rd highest paid pitcher in baseball

*Edit* thats for the 8 for 200 million contract

Edited by Baron

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
Tom Loxas on twitter is stating he heard Cubs offered him 7/160

That's who I was referring to on the 160 million dollar contract. But I dont exactly trust him as far as this sort of news goes.On the other hand the number could certainly be around that. I just dont think itll be that high.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
At this point, I don't want the Sox to get him. 20 million for someone that a month ago no one predicted as anything higher than a #2 starter is ridiculous.

With Sale being paid no where near what an ace would make I don't mind over paying for a guy like this.

Whatever the White Sox offer, they can afford. Think about it, we have all worried about the amount they pay for contracts. How in the world would anyone have thought they apparently have a $20 million posting fee and a $100 million+ contract they would be even able to consider adding?

The sox have to be a ways away from a contract that really will hurt their ability to add payroll no matter what they say if he takes another offer.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm still not buying into the cubs. IF they did offer 160M+, with their financial debt how could they afford to field a team around him to be competitive? This is PR bulls*** by their front office because their fans are pissed and the front office knows it. This way when Tanaka signs elsewhere they can say they tried because there are media "reports" saying they did. Its cubs propaganda by the front office.

In the end I'd say it comes down to AZ and the Sox. I'm not sold on the Yanks or Dodgers either because of their payrolls.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
Not to get my hopes up, but there's not been many strong denials of the Sox being the team. That could very well mean nothing, but it's better than someone saying we were blown out of the water.

Only stuff about the Sox has been said by the Sox.

Stealth Bomber Kenny and CIA Agent Rick

I'm not even sure what I'd think about this. Not so much the money, but holy hell you would have a team who has a fathomable W anywhere from 60 to 100. Who knows what they'd be capable of. A buttload of talent and almost no certainty

If the Sox sign Tanaka they're going to need a nice new marketing slogan (please send Boyer out for coffee while this is being decided)

They're going to need something good

I say if we get Tanaka & also trade for Jason Castro without giving up Q then I'd a good new slogan would be "Hey it's the Sox. Pull out your Cox." Or something like that. SWomething with Cox in it.

Yeah, I think with the sox in the running still, were just getting more anxious and bored while waiting for Tanaka to decide. If Tanaka waits til Thursday or Friday I'm curious as to how many more pages of madness there will be by then. Then factor in the additional pages if the Sox actual sign Tanaka. This could end up being the john holmes of threads.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
If the Sox sign Tanaka they're going to need a nice new marketing slogan (please send Boyer out for coffee while this is being decided)

They're going to need something good

I say if we get Tanaka & also trade for Jason Castro without giving up Q then I'd a good new slogan would be "Hey it's the Sox. Pull out your Cox." Or something like that. SWomething with Cox in it.

I don't get jokes. What is the significance of "Cox"?

OK, Cox aside. I was reading comments made by cub fans at mlbtraderumors and I think there could be mass suicides if the cubs don't sign Tanaka. Holy s*** the way some of them talk its like Tanaka is signed sealed and delivered. I have my hopes for the Sox but if they don't sign this guy life goes on.