Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
OK, Cox aside. I was reading comments made by cub fans at mlbtraderumors and I think there could be mass suicides if the cubs don't sign Tanaka. Holy s*** the way some of them talk its like Tanaka is signed sealed and delivered. I have my hopes for the Sox but if they don't sign this guy life goes on.

You mean their Justin Ruggiano and their new mascot isn't enough for them this offseason?

I didn't think the Sox were even going to be considering Tanaka especially after Abreu, but this offseason has been just one surprise after another. I hope they sign him, or at least put up a really good fight. That would be pretty bad ass if they announced him at Soxfest.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow stuff got weird... er tonight. Lol. We need something to happen either way for the sanity of the topic. Anyways here's a post from a Japense media site. Nothing new just posting.

===

The latest on Masahiro Tanaka, from Sunday, January 18, 2014.

From MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez, via Twitter: "Source tells me clubs have not heard back from Tanaka & nobody knows where they stand. Most had about 60 mins to make a case. No visits." [Tweet 1/18/2014]

Bullpen Catcher Kenji Nagasaka caught Tanaka bullpen session on Saturday.  On Tanaka's two-seamer: "It probably does not make much sense to talk about this until he starts throwing at full strength, but it felt like there was some sinking movement on his two-seamer.  The same thing happened last year with the WBC baseball.  With the Japanese baseball, there is horizontal movement." ... When reporters tried to approach Tanaka after his workouts on Saturday, he made made a letter "X" with his arms to indicated that he was not going to answer questions. ... The 2013 draft class had a chance to briefly talk to Tanaka on Saturday. [Nikkan Sports 1/18/2014]

http://yakyubaka.com/2014/01/19/1192014-ky...ka+(Yakyu+Baka)

Although...... Maybe the "X" was a signal he's coming to the soX

Not sure if this was posted, tweet by Whittenmeyer cautioning Cub optimissim.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GDubCub/status/424744849888141312

I know I read it in a page or two earlier, but if the Cubs don't land this guy, it's going to be ugly. These guys are crazy with Tanaka, more so than here. And hate to say it, it makes me thankful to be a Soc fan and a part of this board reading some of these comments on their board shows how little about baseball.

And if we somehow shock the world.. Again... And sign Mr. Tanaka, that fan base will hit the snit. Part of me thinks all this leaking on their end shows they know they aren't getting this guy and the are in full on PR mode. Hence large offers being leaked, you don't hear really any other teams doing this.

Either they are supremely confident, or know they have to make it seem they did everything to sign him. Who knows the may, we may, I just don't know. I don't know if Chicago is what he is looking for..

Not sure how this bodes for us either....

from David Kaplan:

thekapman: AL scout just told me that he believes Cubs offer is very strong but still believes that state of team will make it tough to land Tanaka.

thekapman: Finally, NL scout I just talked to believes Tanaka is worth risk, + Cubs willing to spend huge. However, not a contender is huge impediment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thekapman

There's also a couple tweets about the Cubs supposed pitch. It could have very well been them who "flubbed" the meeting with him and banked on $$$ being enough. They basically said "you can lead this rotation and we have plenty of talent on the way" and they "could provide a great quality of life while he persuade the greatest title in sports"

I dont know seems pretty flat, Hopefuly the sox were a little more persuasive and sold to this guys needs. Did their homework, saw a Japenese community was important, maybe had a list of cities or towns were there is a large population. Well see. Sorry just got home from work and processing all the new updates

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

Found this interesting, first time I heard the Yankees and Dodgers offers we ecquivalent.

According to Nikkan, a daily sports newspaper in Japan, the Yankees and Dodgers have made "equivalent offers". Because translating from Japanese to English is a science that extends beyond my capabilities, I'm not sure if that means the two teams have bid exactly the same amount for Tanaka or if they bid an amount on par with Nikkan's report of the Diamondbacks' six-year/$120 million offer. The Angels were previously rumored to be in competition for Tanaka's services, but owner Arte Moreno says that it is unlikely they'd be able to fit him into the team's budget.

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankees-rumo...te-sox#comments

Also just looking through rumors and stuff. Nothing concrete, scuttlebutt if you will. But supposedly AZ offered 6/$106. It has also been rumored that the other five teams offered the same contract. Finally Nikkin sports confirmed whichever team he signs for he will wear "18"

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

Some random poster on MLBTR's discussion says a "little birdie told him" that the Sox offered 4 yrs/$100M, and thus are the 1 team that "nearly" offered OVER $100M like the report said. It makes sense too, as you'd figure the Yankees/Dodgers/Cubs would be bidding a lot, the DBacks are apparently at $120M, so that leaves the Sox and Slick Rick trying to get creative with a deal.

4 yrs/$100M with maybe 2 player options, or vesting options, or something. I thought before it was highly unlikely the Sox would ever win this bidding war, but if they did, it would have to be with a creative deal. I stick by that. No way we outbid, but maybe we outsmart.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)
Some random poster on MLBTR's discussion says a "little birdie told him" that the Sox offered 4 yrs/$100M, and thus are the 1 team that "nearly" offered OVER $100M like the report said. It makes sense too, as you'd figure the Yankees/Dodgers/Cubs would be bidding a lot, the DBacks are apparently at $120M, so that leaves the Sox and Slick Rick trying to get creative with a deal.

4 yrs/$100M with maybe 2 player options, or vesting options, or something. I thought before it was highly unlikely the Sox would ever win this bidding war, but if they did, it would have to be with a creative deal. I stick by that. No way we outbid, but maybe we outsmart.

I disagree, I think the sox would go at least 6/$120. And from what I read it was the Diamond backs who offered a little over $100 at 6/$106. All overs were said to be at least 6 years.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)

4/100 with two options possibly? Or voiding his arbitration rights?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
4/100 with two options possibly? Or voiding his arbitration rights?

Ya thinking about it, 4/$100, $25 a year with a few options at the end and the chance to prove your the real deal before 30 and cash in another pay day. May interest him, or he may want 6 in order to sign.

But really 4/$100 + options for 2018 and 2019 could be the Hahn magic that gets it done. His competitive drive is known and this may be the contract he wants to prove himself.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 04:44 AM)
Ya thinking about it, 4/$100, $25 a year with a few options at the end and the chance to prove your the real deal before 30 and cash in another pay day. May interest him, or he may want 6 in order to sign.

But really 4/$100 + options for 2018 and 2019 could be the Hahn magic that gets it done. His competitive drive is known and this may be the contract he wants to prove himself.

Rose colored glasses

You aren't thinking objectively here, 4yrs/100m would be assinine if he's getting offers for 6/120 or 7/160 or in that area

Why? Because he could fall flat on his face in 3 years like Daisuke. No agent would recommend his client to take 4/100 vs 7/160 or 6/120, you don't gamble based on outperforming or even equaling your contract, you play it like you're going to flop and still get more years of premium salary

2 extra option years would most certainly have to be player options, not team or vested options

Starting to think Arizona lands him

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 01:09 AM)
You mean their Justin Ruggiano and their new mascot isn't enough for them this offseason?

I didn't think the Sox were even going to be considering Tanaka especially after Abreu, but this offseason has been just one surprise after another. I hope they sign him, or at least put up a really good fight. That would be pretty bad ass if they announced him at Soxfest.

Hey now, be nice to Clark,he's just cub living half naked is all.

My guess is the cubs were the team at 4/100. They are so far in debt they might not be able to do more than 100M overall so they offer him less years and more annually. If the Sox rumor about not going more than 20M annually is true then the Sox weren't the team offering 4/100. The DBacks are rumored to be at 6/120 so the 4/100 isn't them either. If teams like LA and NY are seriously in this I'm thinking they would offer more than 4/100 so I doubt that offer was from them.

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/story/rep...o-tanaka-011814

PHOENIX -- The Diamondbacks appear ready to open the checkbook for Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, the most coveted free agent on the market this winter.

Japanese newspaper Nikkan Sports reported Saturday that the D-backs have offered Tanaka a six-year deal worth 10.5 billion yen, roughly $106 million. The paper also said the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and White Sox have made offers in that same range, and those teams could be emerging as Tanaka's final five. No contract length or terms had previously surfaced.

Tanaka has until Friday to pick a major league team, which also must pay the Rakuten Golden Eagles a $20 million posting fee. Tanaka does not have to accept an offer, but it appears a foregone conclusion.

If the reported figure is accurate, it would be the largest contract in Diamondbacks history. But they have not been shy about their interest in Tanaka since the winter meetings, when team president/CEO Derrick Hall said Arizona would make a bid.

The Diamondbacks had no comment on the report, in deference to the wishes of Tanaka and his agent, Casey Close, who have asked teams not to publicly discuss the process.

Tanaka, 25, was 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for Rakuten last season with an 0.93 WHIP in 212 innings.

Miguel Montero signed the biggest contract in Arizona franchise history in 2012, a five-year extension worth $60 million. Randy Johnson signed a five-year deal worth $52.4 million when he joined the D-backs as a free agent in 1999, and Justin Upton signed a $51.25 million extension in 2010.

The Diamondbacks budgeted for Tanaka and have said since the winter meetings that they could have the highest payroll in team history in 2014. They spent $103 million in 2002, their only season in nine figures, but appear willing to go as high as $105 million-$110 million this season. They have about $85 million committed toward salary in 2014, with outfielders Mark Trumbo and Gerardo Parra the only remaining arbitration-eligible players.

The D-backs also have a negotiating chip that none of Tanaka's other suitors have in former Rakuten teammate Rick Short, who is a scout in the organization. Short played the final four years of his professional career in Japan, the last three with Rakuten. Short had 63 doubles, 11 homers and 119 RBIs playing behind Tanaka from 2007-09, when Tanaka was breaking in.

Even after the Dodgers signed Clayton Kershaw to a seven-year, $215 million contract on Wednesday, Los Angeles general manager Ned Colletti told ESPN that he had talks with Close nearly every day last week.

That offer comes out to just below $18M per year without the posting fee and exactly $21M per year with it. Common sense would suggest this is likely the lowest of the five offers, but the question is how much higher would teams be willing to go? The Yankees & Dodgers are both luxury tax teams with Tanaka, which IMO will prevent them from blowing the other three teams out of the water. For the Cubs & Sox to have a chance, I think they'll need to either offer more money than LA & NY or will have to do something very creative. Given that we've heard that all the offers were above $100M, I think we can assume the ladder scenario is out. That concerns me, as part of me believes the Cubs are willing to do something stupid here. If not and Theo is simply using the press to blow smoke, I honestly believe there's a chance that the Sox have the top offer.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...08570--mlb.html

In this article, the rumor was that the Cubs were at $160 plus the $20 million posting fee for 8 years.

So $20 million a year for eight years, essentially.

No way the Sox top that. Still has to be favored to end up with Yankees or Dodgers.

From what I can tell, that rumor came from a Chicago Now blogger named Tom Loxas, so I'm not sure if I'd give the rumor any credibility. Just doing a quick google search, Tom reported in late November that the Cubs & Blue Jays could be close on a Shark trade, which obviously never happened. Seems like this guy is likely full of s***.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
From what I can tell, that rumor came from a Chicago Now blogger named Tom Loxas, so I'm not sure if I'd give the rumor any credibility. Just doing a quick google search, Tom reported in late November that the Cubs & Blue Jays could be close on a Shark trade, which obviously never happened. Seems like this guy is likely full of s***.

It does wonders to the hit total on his blog.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
The star is dimming on Theo. This, if it worked out, would be a huge blow to them and quite a large feather in the White Sox cap. It also would probably cost the Cubs some money in their upcomindpg broadcast negotiations.

Again, if we are talking about a seven year deal, more damage would be done by letting the Cubs suffer through the last 3-4 years of that contract ala Soriano.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Uh, since like we've all been paying attention.

$20M posting fee and looking at an annual salary approaching if not exceeding $20M per

Sox stated that they have some room within their budget... $40M laying around is a little bit more than "some room"

Either the Sox have been bulls***ting as Dick Allen is implying or somebody would have to go

Its called a capital call.