Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
Multiple baseball writers reported that every offer was in the 6 year $120 million range as a starting point. Don't know how true that is.

Sounds about right. Rock has said that around $20M per year was the max, and that they were essentially out of it when it went over 6 years.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Sox fans, this is the largest "specific" (parentheses added for the existence of poo, dick, and Brony talk) thread in site history for a player the Sox did not get. It is the 5th largest thread in PHT and the 4th largest non Catch-All thread.

In order:

Peavy to Boston - 4,126

2011 Catch-All - 2,980

Rios to Rangers - 2,818

Sox acquire MANNY - 2,570

Tanaka to YANKEES* - 2,532

also, I don't think that Peavy thread is going to be broken for a while.

EDIT: YANKEES, not Rangers

Edited by witesoxfan

Yankees projected starters this year and their 2013 WAR/ERA

Kuroda - 3.8 / 3.31

CC Sabathia - 2.7 / 4.78

Masahiro Tanaka -

Ivan Nova - 2.5 / 3.10

David Phelps - 1.1 / 4.98

They're hoping Nova is legit, hoping something other than Phelps appears for the 5 slot, hoping Tanaka is good right away, hoping Sabathia rallies way back, and hoping Kuroda doesn't age

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
This just in, Keith Law thinks Tanaka will be an elite pitcher from day one.

If you look at their raw numbers in Japan during their final seasons in that country, he outpitched both Daisuke and Darvish significantly, and did so at a younger age.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)

Keith Law was on Waddle and Silvy yesterday and was EXTREMELY complimentary of Rick Hahn and what the Sox have done since July's trade deadline.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)

Actually in his chat he said he doesn't write his headlines and he specified he thought Tanaka will be around a top 20-25 starter. Which is very good, but not elite.

Scott (Boston)

I'm surprised that you would label a top 20-25 pitcher as "elite." Or did someone else write the headline?

Klaw (1:22 PM)

Writers don't write their own headlines. I am no exception.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Actually in his chat he said he doesn't write his headlines and he specified he thought Tanaka will be around a top 20-25 starter. Which is very good, but not elite.

Scott (Boston)

I'm surprised that you would label a top 20-25 pitcher as "elite." Or did someone else write the headline?

Klaw (1:22 PM)

Writers don't write their own headlines. I am no exception.

That offense could make a top 20 starter look a whole lot better if people stay healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
If you look at their raw numbers in Japan during their final seasons in that country, he outpitched both Daisuke and Darvish significantly, and did so at a younger age.

Yet no one said Abreu will be elite from day one because he out performed his countrymen in Cuba.

We can agree that it's difficult to project someone's career in MLB based on minor league stats or international stats. Arsenal wise, Tanaka is widely considered a grade below Darvish, and I don't think you can say Darvish's first year was "elite".

With the type of contract he just signed, and the pressure from the fans and media to perform right away, I have a hard time imagining him being anywhere close to elite.

• 3 weeks later...