Sox agree to 1 yr deal with Scott Downs

flavum

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 2m

White Sox's signing of Scott Downs speaks to the organization's belief that 2013 was an anomaly. They EXPECT 20-win improvement.

that’s what I’ve been trying to say haha. No way 2013 was “99 loss” bad. I mean, it was AND it wasn’t...…if that makes any sense.

Baseball can be weird like that: seasonal outliers triggering cascading/down-spiraling effect.

Sox management seems to agree with us optimists.

Good.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

Bullpen or positional player?

I guess while I was driving this was answered.

However I still think they have one more pen guy for the mix and most likely still looking to deal a player or two. I still cant believe we havent gotten a vet bat for the IF.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
    Yeah I agree with this. Not a fan of Veal....would rather go with someone else(not that there are many options).

I'd agree if I had any confidence in Leesman or SantRod. Heck, I've been following Santos religiously ever since the Javy trade. His horrible adjustment to AAA, after finally showing a tiny semblance of control in AA, has me worried that he'll never throw strikes consistently enough. Needs to happen soon for him.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
    I'd agree if I had any confidence in Leesman or SantRod. Heck, I've been following Santos religiously ever since the Javy trade. His horrible adjustment to AAA, after finally showing a tiny semblance of control in AA, has me worried that he'll never throw strikes consistently enough. Needs to happen soon for him.

That's what I was getting at....not many options. But there are a few in the free agent market.

QUOTE (Waygodai @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
    that’s what I’ve been trying to say haha. No way 2013 was “99 loss” bad. I mean, it was AND it wasn’t...…if that makes any sense.

Baseball can be weird like that: seasonal outliers triggering cascading/down-spiraling effect.

Sox management seems to agree with us optimists.

Good.

Well they agree, but they are acknowledging that the team was deeply flawed. There is no other reason why they'd export 5-8 significant players with a few other heads on the chopping block. I mean, we're talking about Dunn, De Aza, Viciedo, Beckham, Keppinger, Gillaspie, Flowers, Phegley, Ramirez, and (John)Danks that people have suggested getting rid of and finding an upgrade on at one time or another. That's almost the remainder of the roster.

The Sox realize that they can be competitive next year, but that they needed to get young and re-develop or, rather, re-establish the foundation of the team.

If they are anything more than a .500 team - I will be the first to acknowledge it is very possible - I will be pleasantly surprised. Basically, I handicap there odds of certain milestones as such:

100+ wins: 1%

95-99 wins: 3%

90-94 wins: 6%

85-89 wins: 10%

80-84 wins: 10%

75-79 wins: 25%

70-74 wins: 25%

65-69 wins: 15%

60-64 wins: 4.5%

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
    That's what I was getting at....not many options. But there are a few in the free agent market.

I'm guessing this our last pitching expenditure for the offseason, barring a possible coming-off-injury cheapie flyer on a starter. But who knows? O'Flaherty is still out there, I think, unless I missed something.

I don't want to give Crazy Boone Logan Money to anyone, though!

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Solid. I had said before, bullpen-wise, the left side was the only remaining concern. Downs+Veal is OK, though I'd bet the Sox invite a handful of scrappers to ST and have a contest with Veal and Santos Rodriguez for that 2nd lefty slot. I highly doubt they spend this kind of money on another FA.

Right side looks fine, I see no reason to acquire a vet reliever on that side. Jones, Lindstrom, Webb, Bellisario, Petricka/Rienzo looks great to me. Young yes, but this whole team is geared towards going younger, and I don't mind the auditions while the likes of Taylor Thompson and Brad Goldberg (and maybe Chris Bassitt) polish their stuff.

Really at this point, the team just needs to find a way to get value for one of Viciedo/De Aza (preferably De Aza), and one or two of Beckham/Gillaspie/Keppinger (won't get much, but need to cut back by one or two guys there). And improve at catcher. No other needs stand out to me, for what they are trying to do with this team.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
    I'm guessing this our last pitching expenditure for the offseason, barring a possible coming-off-injury cheapie flyer on a starter. But who knows? O'Flaherty is still out there, I think, unless I missed something.

I don't want to give Crazy Boone Logan Money to anyone, though!

The Sox aren't afraid to give out those sorts of contracts, but they do so sparingly and to a certain type of pitcher. They have never really believed in the idea of a LOOGY, though they have used relievers in that situation at times. There is also no one who is of the quality that would require that type of contract at the moment either.

I would not worry about that one bit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)

However I still think they have one more pen guy for the mix and most likely still looking to deal a player or two. I still cant believe we havent gotten a vet bat for the IF.

Curious as to what you have in mind here, Rock. Do you think the possibility of a no-hit utility guy like Leury is hugely unattractive to them, or are you talking about a hitting upgrade at 2nd or SS, combined with a trade, or are you talking about a 3rd base placeholder if Davidson isn't ready?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
    Curious as to what you have in mind here, Rock. Do you think the possibility of a no-hit utility guy like Leury is hugely unattractive to them, or are you talking about a hitting upgrade at 2nd or SS, combined with a trade, or are you talking about a 3rd base placeholder if Davidson isn't ready?

I thought for sure we were going to acquire a veteran MI bat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
    I thought for sure we were going to acquire a veteran MI bat.

That makes no sense to me. I mean, I guess if you can get rid of two of Gillaspinger/Beckham, then you can pick up a LHH utility IF. But I would rather just use Leury Garcia (switch hitter) for that purpose, or someone cheap. I don't get the need.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
    That makes no sense to me. I mean, I guess if you can get rid of two of Gillaspinger/Beckham, then you can pick up a LHH utility IF. But I would rather just use Leury Garcia (switch hitter) for that purpose, or someone cheap. I don't get the need.

I was under the impression one of our MI would be gone replaced with a vet.

This was before the whole Davidson thing went down though.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)

People are really, really down on this guy, but I'd love to have Brandon Phillips play 2B for us. Oh my defense would that be good up the middle.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
    People are really, really down on this guy, but I'd love to have Brandon Phillips play 2B for us. Oh my defense would that be good up the middle.

I'm on board with this if it they don't have to give up too much. Between he, Eaton, and Davidson's hair that's a lot of energy injected into a lifeless 2013 team.