Eric Surkamp claimed by White Sox

Eminor3rd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
Everything about this guy screams at me LH version of Dylan Axelrod. I guess being a junk balling lefty is better than a junk balling righty.

Well Axelrod beat King Felix last year and #wins.

Remember that Saturday game against the Angels on FOX this year? We lost 10-9 in a crazy game... all I remember from it (other than Hector Gimenez's monster home run) is Donnie Veal coming in and blowing the game. I bet Surkamp would've struck out the side #SurkampsSoldiers

I doubt he goes in our bullpen and I honestly hope he doesn't. He's not a LH version of Dylan Axelrod because he actually has good secondary pitches and the LH equivalent of Dylan's fastball would be 79 mph. This is a guy who was solidly in SF's top 10 prospects before his injury and after what he did in AAA last year (in the PCL, for Christ's sake), he needs to be starting. He'll get a shot to make our rotation and will more likely be in AAA where he has a decent chance of pitching himself into some more MLB starts.

MLB.com rated him as SF's number 12 prospect entering this season. That is seriously saying something for a guy who rarely touches 90 with his fastball and is coming off Tommy John surgery. Nobody ever thought anything of Axelrod. They could end up having similar career paths, but Surkamp has a lot more upside and I'm very glad to have him instead.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I doubt he goes in our bullpen and I honestly hope he doesn't. He's not a LH version of Dylan Axelrod because he actually has good secondary pitches and the LH equivalent of Dylan's fastball would be 79 mph. This is a guy who was solidly in SF's top 10 prospects before his injury and after what he did in AAA last year (in the PCL, for Christ's sake), he needs to be starting. He'll get a shot to make our rotation and will more likely be in AAA where he has a decent chance of pitching himself into some more MLB starts.

MLB.com rated him as SF's number 12 prospect entering this season. That is seriously saying something for a guy who rarely touches 90 with his fastball and is coming off Tommy John surgery. Nobody ever thought anything of Axelrod. They could end up having similar career paths, but Surkamp has a lot more upside and I'm very glad to have him instead.

Considering the fact the kid just slid through the entire National League before getting claimed by the White Sox, color me a bit skeptical.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Considering the fact the kid just slid through the entire National League before getting claimed by the White Sox, color me a bit skeptical.

He's clearly not the 6'5" lefty from NC State that many of us would like to have, but he's a very worthy "lottery ticket" who deserves a shot to be our primary rotation depth for at least this coming season.

Surkamp went from knocking on the door for a spot in the Giants’ rotation to being on the shelf for the next year when he underwent Tommy John surgery on July 24. The 25-year-old lefty led all Double-A pitchers in ERA in 2011, while finishing second in strikeouts and batting average against, and he had made strides in Spring Training in ‘12. Surkamp doesn't throw hard, but he has excellent command and two plus secondary pitches in his curve and changeup. When he was called upon to help out in the big leagues, he had some success and some understandable bumps along the way. He may not have the highest ceiling in the world, but it was pretty clear – before his injury, anyway -- that he has what it takes to be a big league starter.

From MLB.com

Could be a good signing. At the very least he provides depth to the rotation, and at best he can beat out Rienzo/Paulino for the 5th spot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
He's clearly not the 6'5" lefty from NC State that many of us would like to have, but he's a very worthy "lottery ticket" who deserves a shot to be our primary rotation depth for at least this coming season.

How about this.

Player A 2.88 ERA 8.5 K/9, 7.4 H/9, 2.9 BB/9, 1.155 WHIP

Player B 2.78 ERA 6.8 K/9, 7.1 H/9, 2.5 BB/9 1.065 WHIP

Those are Surkamp and Axelrod's last years in AAA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
How about this.

One of them pitched in the PCL though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
How about this.

Not sure you can discount the whole PCL part of the argument though.