Eric Surkamp claimed by White Sox

Eminor3rd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before, big time hype from Giants fans when he was comming up. His curve is pretty sick, great change as well. I actually think having him in the bullpen is a great idea. Might add 2-3 MPH on his fastball, (already has the frame) and he will probably have some pretty good strikeout numbers. Young, cost controlled (lefty) entering his prime.. the theme for Hahn this off-season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
As I said before, big time hype from Giants fans when he was comming up. His curve is pretty sick, great change as well. I actually think having him in the bullpen is a great idea. Might add 2-3 MPH on his fastball, (already has the frame) and he will probably have some pretty good strikeout numbers. Young, cost controlled (lefty) entering his prime.. the theme for Hahn this off-season.

Can't stick him in the bullpen until you know whether he can cut it at as a starter. Has excelled at every level starting in his career so far

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
Can't stick him in the bullpen until you know whether he can cut it at as a starter. Has excelled at every level starting in his career so far

In general, I agree, but frankly, if the guy can provide value as the second lefty and swing man, I have no problem with him in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 05:26 AM)

Except in the bigs. He's got to get major league hitters out one way or another in 2014. The most likely open spot is from the pen. He can always be stretched out if need be, ala Santiago. Seeing how he's coming off TJ surgery, throwing less innings from the pen makes sense.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Except in the bigs. He's got to get major league hitters out one way or another in 2014. The most likely open spot is from the pen. He can always be stretched out if need be, ala Santiago. Seeing how he's coming off TJ surgery, throwing less innings from the pen makes sense.

Yea, to me he has some similarities to Neal Cotts. And I'm not talking about as far as stuff.

Unless Hahn is trying to trade one of the 3 LH starters, it makes little sense that Surkamp was acquired to become the 4TH.

The need was for southpaws in the bullpen, and Downs will now be the primary LH reliever. Surkamp becomes a candidate for the other. Of course, it's obvious, despite this quote from mlbtraderumors.com:

"Surkamp figures to compete with those three for the fourth and fifth slots in the rotation following Hector Santiago's trade to the Angels."

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:48 AM)
Unless Hahn is trying to trade one of the 3 LH starters, it makes little sense that Surkamp was acquired to become the 4TH.

The need was for southpaws in the bullpen, and Downs will now be the primary LH reliever. Surkamp becomes a candidate for the other. Of course, it's obvious, despite this quote from mlbtraderumors.com:

"Surkamp figures to compete with those three for the fourth and fifth slots in the rotation following Hector Santiago's trade to the Angels."

One of Scott Merkin's tweets yesterday when the sox claimed him

Surkamp gives CWS more starting depth for 5th spot. Also more move to maneuver in potential deals involving their rotation

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/415221549130477568

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:43 AM)
One of Scott Merkin's tweets yesterday when the sox claimed him

Surkamp gives CWS more starting depth for 5th spot. Also more move to maneuver in potential deals involving their rotation

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/415221549130477568

Sale, Quintana, & Johnson are clearly the core of this rotation going forward. Therefore, I think the only starter Hahn would move at this point is Danks and I honestly don't think he'd just give him away. Danks is a strong first half away from having legitimate value, so unless someone is willing to give you something very useful right now, you're probably best off rolling the dice on him in 2014 and hoping he returns to form.

Surkamp looks like he was added to push Paulino & Rienzo for the 5th starter's spot and possibly Veal & Leesman for the 2nd left-handed reliever spot. I don't see how his addition allows us to trade a starter, this is simply a depth move that provides some competition in spring training, which can only be a good thing IMO.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)

I don't think it matters at all if they have 4 LH pitchers in the rotation. If Surkamp pitches better than Rienzo and Paulino then he deserves the 5th spot. I want the 5 best guys in the rotation regardless of what hand they pitch with.

Veal will be fine as a 2nd lefty in the pen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't think it matters at all if they have 4 LH pitchers in the rotation. If Surkamp pitches better than Rienzo and Paulino then he deserves the 5th spot. I want the 5 best guys in the rotation regardless of what hand they pitch with.

Veal will be fine as a 2nd lefty in the pen.

Yeah, I have not understood any of the "too many lefties" in the rotation stuff. A lot of teams have 4 RHP, some have even had all 5 over the years. It's not called too many. As long as they are good pitchers, I myself couldn't care less which hand they use to throw.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Yeah, I have not understood any of the "too many lefties" in the rotation stuff. A lot of teams have 4 RHP, some have even had all 5 over the years. It's not called too many. As long as they are good pitchers, I myself couldn't care less which hand they use to throw.

In the last year or so, I have switched completely and endorse this. If you had 5 Chris Sale's in your rotation, would you say "no, I need a couple Kevin Correia's to balance out the lefties" ?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
In the last year or so, I have switched completely and endorse this. If you had 5 Chris Sale's in your rotation, would you say "no, I need a couple Kevin Correia's to balance out the lefties" ?

You know though, if you're talking about a guy like Surkamp who isn't necessarily coming in with the best stuff in the world...I could see how it would be a problem. One of the reasons lefties can be more effective with similar stuff is that hitters aren't used to seeing them.

When they're thorwing mid-90's being lefty is just icing on the cake...but a guy like this it might be more of a worry. 3 lefties and 2 righties in a rotation, that's a decent setup even with a guy like this, just to give the occasional righty as a changeup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
You know though, if you're talking about a guy like Surkamp who isn't necessarily coming in with the best stuff in the world...I could see how it would be a problem. One of the reasons lefties can be more effective with similar stuff is that hitters aren't used to seeing them.

When they're thorwing mid-90's being lefty is just icing on the cake...but a guy like this it might be more of a worry. 3 lefties and 2 righties in a rotation, that's a decent setup even with a guy like this, just to give the occasional righty as a changeup.

If he's the best pitcher, then I see no reason why he shouldn't get the job. I don't think he will end up being that guy - I'm on record as saying I think Paulino is going to be the Sox 3rd best starter this year, and I'm a huge fan of Erik Johnson - but he's going to be different enough from the other 3 lefties that I don't think that will matter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)

I could understand a reliever not providing much of a change, but game to game, I really don't buy it making much of a difference when there is a day between games. Just put your 5 best starters in the rotation. That will get you the best results in the long run. Besides, series are usually 3 games, so the similar pitchers many times pitch against different teams. Pitchers either make their pitches or they don't. Guys don't get lit up because someone who was similiar to him pitched the day before.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
I could understand a reliever not providing much of a change, but game to game, I really don't buy it making much of a difference when there is a day between games. Just put your 5 best starters in the rotation. That will get you the best results in the long run. Besides, series are usually 3 games, so the similar pitchers many times pitch against different teams. Pitchers either make their pitches or they don't. Guys don't get lit up because someone who was similiar to him pitched the day before.

The question is...what happens if we're talking about the 5th guy out of 5 and there's really not a big difference between them?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
The question is...what happens if we're talking about the 5th guy out of 5 and there's really not a big difference between them?

The one they think will have more success. Picking starting pitchers based on handed-ness to me would be like selecting a HS catcher with the #3 pick because of need.

A guy doesn't hit a pitcher hard because the guy who started the day before him was close in stuff and threw with the same hand. He hits him hard because he hung a curveball or his mediocre fastball got too much of the plate. You put the guy who would do less of that in the rotation.

Are we looking to make the 2014 bullpen better and decrease a potential asset's value down the road for short-term gains, or are we looking to turn him into something valuable for when we're actually good? If it's the latter, let him start somewhere. Putting him in the bullpen does nothing for eventual championship plans, but it does make our likely-wasted 2014 slightly better.

I'm in the group of who cares what hand they throw with. After watching Santiago run up high pitch counts and walks I welcome the idea of Surkamp in the rotation provided he earns the spot. IF he can locate his fastball to go with his plus curve and change he might be an upgrade over Santiago, I admit these are IF's but that's what ST is for.

Also want to point out that Surkamp is further along than Paulino as far as recovering from injury (more innings pitched in 13). As for Rienzo, just my opinion but I'm not seeing him in the starting rotation, he walks too many batters and just doesn't appear to be all that impressive.

I'm guessing the 5th spot in the rotation will be a ST duel between Paulino and Surkamp with the loser going to the pen and probably backing up the winner in his starts since you can't expect a ton of innings from either due to their recovery. Could compliment each other well though.

I understand wanting a balanced rotation eventually, but why do we care in 2014? It's more important to our eventual success that we develop MLB players, rather than increase our win total from 70 to 74. If we lose a couple of games because our rotation/lineup is not perfect, that's fine. Those victories do absolutely nothing for us anyway. If we can make Surkamp into a real player in the process, we can trade him or another lefty later and we're in a much better position to win in 2015 and beyond. Develop players, fine tune later.