Alex Jackson - C

peppers312

i just saw that the Twins are going to sign Kurt Suzuki and i'm not sure if anyone else has made a topic about this kid, but what are people's thoughts on the White Sox drafting this kid next June. i've seen a few mock drafts that have the Sox picking Jackson. even though he's not a lefty, he's 6'2" and listed at 210 lbs (looks bigger to me). i think this kid has the potential to solve our problems at catcher for years to come. the ball sounds like it POPS off his bat!

thoughts?

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
i just saw that the Twins are going to sign Kurt Suzuki and i'm not sure if anyone else has made a topic about this kid, but what are people's thoughts on the White Sox drafting this kid next June. i've seen a few mock drafts that have the Sox picking Jackson. even though he's not a lefty, he's 6'2" and listed at 210 lbs (looks bigger to me). i think this kid has the potential to solve our problems at catcher for years to come. the ball sounds like it POPS off his bat!

thoughts?

If you go to the FutureSox forum part of the board, there are some good draft discussions there, and Jackson is mentioned.

Thing is... you never, ever draft for positional need in the high rounds of the draft. You take the best player available. There are many reasons for this, but primarily it is just that players take years (almost always) to reach the majors and be valuable, and you have no idea what positional needs the team will have at that point. So, if you draft by positional need, you needlessly reduce your talent pool and don't get as much out of the draft.

Later rounds, sure, you eventually start plugging organizational holes. But not in the top 10, or really even the top half of the draft.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Thing is... you never, ever draft for positional need in the high rounds of the draft. You take the best player available. There are many reasons for this, but primarily it is just that players take years (almost always) to reach the majors and be valuable, and you have no idea what positional needs the team will have at that point. So, if you draft by positional need, you needlessly reduce your talent pool and don't get as much out of the draft.

Later rounds, sure, you eventually start plugging organizational holes. But not in the top 10, or really even the top half of the draft.

Agree with all of the above. Plus, when you draft for current need, you start rushing players. And that's deadly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
If it is even close on draft grades, I hope the Sox take the pitcher. I have complete faith their ability to develop them, and the opposite in their record for position players.

But you can't keep doing that, or you never come out of the cycle. They've retooled their development personnel in the past couple years, you need to give them a chance to do something.

By the way, I am going to move this thread over to the FS area.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
If it is even close on draft grades, I hope the Sox take the pitcher. I have complete faith their ability to develop them, and the opposite in their record for position players.

And as this offseason has shown, you can flip excess pitching for MLB ready hitters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
But you can't keep doing that, or you never come out of the cycle. They've retooled their development personnel in the past couple years, you need to give them a chance to do something.

By the way, I am going to move this thread over to the FS area.

You can never have enough pitching. And as Q pointed out, that can always get you everything else.