What should the White Sox do at closer?

caulfield12

What's the best idea?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Closer solution

• Go with Jones, Lindstrom, Webb or Paulino
    • Sign Chris Perez coming off character issues, still young, be ready to flip him
    • Sign Fernando Rodney, be ready to flip him
    • Sign punk Grant Balfour, coming off the questionable medical exam, be ready to flip him
    • Should forget closer for now and look at C

Signing Perez would make sense if we could get him on a deal where we controlled an option for 2015, in case everything went amazingly well in 2014 and it would save us money in the FA market next year in the offseason...of course, that would be based on the assumption that none of the guys we have right now are going to be better than Reed or Santos.

If the season went south (2014) and he was having a good year, we'd still be able to trade him. Perez is only 27, so you can't make the argument he wouldn't fit with the model of competing in 2015 and 2016 should we decide to hold onto him, which of course hasn't been the White Sox modus operandi recently with closers.

Due to salary and years control, you'd probably get a lot more flipping Jones if he's successful. IMO you make Jones the closer (but make him earn it in ST) and if you sign a former closer you try to do it while making him a setup man. Then teams could look at the setup guy as one of the cheaper closers on the market & deal a decent but not great prospect for him, and in the offseason you shop Jones for a bigger package if he gets the job done.

I don't think we're into a money former closer, maybe if there's someone out there to be had coming back from arm troubles ala Flash Gordon or JJ Putz and you get him on an incentive-laden deal with a TO. That potential second year is important as far as trade value goes.

I assume Paulino is supposed to be Belisario? I think that's a solid bunch of relievers in that first option, and that's the option I went with

Really wouldn't mind K-Rod if they do wanna sign a guy, I think he'll come the cheapest. Whenever he's been asked to close games he's been really good. When asked to set up? Not so much. Plus this team really needs a native of Caracus if they're going to win a World Series, it's the missing piece.

Plus, there's always the HOPE or at least idea we might be competitive in the beginning of the season...and bullpen troubles would put our team in a huge hole in April and May.

At least, it would be nice to be competitive for a longer amount of time than the 2013 season. That just sucked, when you stopped caring from pretty much July on...I was more into the 2007 season at the end, even.

Maybe Jones can get it done, but I would be pretty shocked to see an 80-85% save conversion rate out of him. Who knows? Stranger things have happened with White Sox closers.

And look no further than Jason Grilli with the Pirates last year for an example.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
I assume Paulino is supposed to be Belisario? I think that's a solid bunch of relievers in that first option, and that's the option I went with

Really wouldn't mind K-Rod if they do wanna sign a guy, I think he'll come the cheapest. Whenever he's been asked to close games he's been really good. When asked to set up? Not so much. Plus this team really needs a native of Caracus if they're going to win a World Series, it's the missing piece.

Yeah, it could have just as easily been Belisario.

I was trying to think outside of the box, in case Paulino's not ready to be a starter in the beginning of the season or they feel really confident in Johnson and Rienzo.

However, if they're really going to try to build up his stamina, he would have to be the long man out of the pen and not the closer. That said, look at how they've bounced Santiago through about 3-4 different roles in the last couple of years.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
The 1st and last choices seem like the same thing so I went with concentrate on the catcher. Hahn more than likely is not going to sign one of the expensive relievers.

I see it the same way as you, I voted catcher.

Closer is important in that it is the one position on a team that can really affect morale. Reed did close 40 of 48 on a bad team. With a young team, morale is something you want to build on next year even if the outlook is not great. If next year's closer goes 24 for 48 the team and fans will be heading for a cliff. But catcher is also an important position especially with a young pitching staff. Hopefully Hahn can bandaid both.

Jones, Petricka and Webb should be competing for the spot and let the best man have the job.

I think Tyler Danish should be being groomed for a fast track to MLB closer anyway. Obviously not 2014, but I also don't think he should need a ton of time to develop as a closer either. Especially not with the type of stuff he has from an odd arm angle.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Signing Perez makes no sense. He's expensive and not very good.

Is anyone other than me familiar with Nate Jones' FIPs? Give him the job and let him run with it.

Seriously.

2.64 FIP last year.

Dude's the closer. /thread.

I don't think the Chisox will be spending $7-10M a year on a closer, or for that mater any other free agent. We have been relatively conservative in our signings. I think Jones is the leading candidate to close in 2014. However, since Balfour didn't pass a physical for the Orioles and claims he is healthy well who knows. Balfour's signing might come at a reasonable price and thus be worth a chance/risk for the Sox. But, I still like Crain to take Jones' set up role and Jesse might come reasonable also