2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
So that 90s rap song "I Got a Man", Positive K actually raps both the male and female verses. Mind = blown

What?!? You never knew that?

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
What?!? You never knew that?

No, I didn't! As a kid I assumed it was a chick rapping, and I never knew differently. They play it all the time on XM Backspin, and I found that out. It was a life changing moment.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
It was making the rounds a couple days ago when I mentioned it in post #113.

Ha! Sorry.

edit: to be fair, the large breasts in the post following yours stole my attention.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
No, I didn't! As a kid I assumed it was a chick rapping, and I never knew differently. They play it all the time on XM Backspin, and I found that out. It was a life changing moment.

hahaha yeah even in the video he has a girl "rap" the female parts. I think they talked about it on Yo! MTV Raps that it was him doing the voice.

I ask this carefully, so PLEASE dont turn this into a political thing.

I live in IL and my department just voted to unionize. They scheduled the vote at a time when I was unable to attend, so i didnt even get to vote against it. I contacted the union group representing the department, and she basically said that was the time to vote as agreed to by the organization and the union leadership and i was S.O.L.

I have ZERO desire to be a part of this process, and no desire to be a part of this union. What are my options, other than getting a new job. My understanding of IL law is that I am required to be a part of the union, even if I dont want to be.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I don't think you have to join the union, but you have to pay the union dues because they'll still be representing you in negotiations and legally required to represent you in any other labor disputes, at least that's my layman's understanding of it. Some states, maybe all, allow you to opt-out of some portion of the union dues if the unions engage in politicking, basically you'd just be paying for the representation.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
I don't think you have to join the union, but you have to pay the union dues because they'll still be representing you in negotiations and legally required to represent you in any other labor disputes, at least that's my layman's understanding of it. Some states, maybe all, allow you to opt-out of some portion of the union dues if the unions engage in politicking, basically you'd just be paying for the representation.

That's so messed up. I dont have to be a part of it, but i still have to pay. what a joke.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
That's so messed up. I dont have to be a part of it, but i still have to pay. what a joke.

You are still benefiting from their negotiations and they still have to represent you in disputes. In a Right-To-Work state, you get those benefits but you aren't required to join a union or pay dues, which would make you a free rider.

I am not in a union, I'm not a labor lawyer etc. etc. so your best bet would probably be to just call the Illinois Dept. of Labor and ask them about it.

edit: this might be a decent summary, though the language seems pretty pro-union:

http://www.canmybossdothat.com/category.ph...27&state=IL

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Shooting on campus at Purdue

Dude walked into the class where the TA was working... Shot him point blank 3 times in the chest. Pulled out an army knife, slashed throat ear to ear. Then stuck knife in the guys forehead and walked outside and turned himself into police. WTF

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Dude walked into the class where the TA was working... Shot him point blank 3 times in the chest. Pulled out an army knife, slashed throat ear to ear. Then stuck knife in the guys forehead and walked outside and turned himself into police. WTF

There were 28 school shootings reported in 2013. Counting Purdue, there have been 7 so far in 2014, with schools in session for ~14 days.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
I ask this carefully, so PLEASE dont turn this into a political thing.

I live in IL and my department just voted to unionize. They scheduled the vote at a time when I was unable to attend, so i didnt even get to vote against it. I contacted the union group representing the department, and she basically said that was the time to vote as agreed to by the organization and the union leadership and i was S.O.L.

I have ZERO desire to be a part of this process, and no desire to be a part of this union. What are my options, other than getting a new job. My understanding of IL law is that I am required to be a part of the union, even if I dont want to be.

You pretty much have to get another job or join. Even if you don't "have" to join, there will be ugly pressure to join anyway.