2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

Wolf of Wall Street. Holy s*** what a long movie. I liked it, but man they could have cut out an hours worth of drugs and hookers scenes. That dude lived a crazy life, and according to Time Magazine, most of the insane s*** in the movie was actually true.

For anyone who has seen the movie already (or not I guess), I found an hour long interview with the real Jordan Belfort from 3 years ago (before the movie even began filming) where he talks about his crazy life and story.

http://vimeo.com/8747076

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm down to my final 10 out of the Top 50 movies of all-time (http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx)

Are any of the below listed movies really worth seeing?

Still have to watch Singin' in the Rain, City Lights, The General, Annie Hall, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Dr. Strangelove, King Kong (1933 version, saw the two more recent ones), It Happened One Night and Intolerance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Wait, does Chili = JoeCoolMan?

I had the same question, but I was too engrossed by the arguing. Who needs movies? Just grab a bag of popcorn and watch the drama in this thread unfold.

I doubt it will be a 2014 movie, but there has been news on and off about a movie adaptation of The Stand. I guess they've gone through three directors, and the latest to drop out was concerned because the producers wanted a PG or PG-13 type movie. That might be problem enough, but I just don't see how they could even capture a glimpse of the novel in a 2 hour movie.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
I doubt it will be a 2014 movie, but there has been news on and off about a movie adaptation of The Stand. I guess they've gone through three directors, and the latest to drop out was concerned because the producers wanted a PG or PG-13 type movie. That might be problem enough, but I just don't see how they could even capture a glimpse of the novel in a 2 hour movie.

The Stand has already been a movie, starred Gary Sinise. As I recall, it was made for TV, and broken up into pieces. I only saw the very beginning of it, and it wasn't great, from what I saw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 04:50 AM)
I'm down to my final 10 out of the Top 50 movies of all-time (http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx)

Are any of the below listed movies really worth seeing?

Still have to watch Singin' in the Rain, City Lights, The General, Annie Hall, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Dr. Strangelove, King Kong (1933 version, saw the two more recent ones), It Happened One Night and Intolerance.

All of them. :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
The Stand has already been a movie, starred Gary Sinise. As I recall, it was made for TV, and broken up into pieces. I only saw the very beginning of it, and it wasn't great, from what I saw.

I remember the mini-series. I think it was 1994? Anyway, I didn't think it was terrible, but with it being on TV (and 20 years ago), a lot of the terror and hopelessness was lost.

I'm not sure what the plan for the potential new movie is. Unless they make a three part movie with each part released a year apart, I don't see how a movie could possibly be made and be any good. How could you cram 1100 pages into 2 hours? The mini-series was 8 hours (with commercials), and it still skipped a bunch of stuff.

Steve, Gone Girl was one of my favorite reads of the last several years, I am betting they butcher the movie and I leave in disappointment. The suspense and different viewpoints is going to be hard to capture. I've read it 3 times this year and just love it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Steve, Gone Girl was one of my favorite reads of the last several years, I am betting they butcher the movie and I leave in disappointment. The suspense and different viewpoints is going to be hard to capture. I've read it 3 times this year and just love it.

Yeah - it was such a f***ing wild book.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)

I love David Fincher but Dragon Tattoo was not good IMO. His handling of book adaptations should raise concern.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)

It was done as a mini-series and was pretty awful, though it had Molly Ringwald in it...

I don't think you could do the Stand in the movies. It would be WAY too short.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
I remember the mini-series. I think it was 1994? Anyway, I didn't think it was terrible, but with it being on TV (and 20 years ago), a lot of the terror and hopelessness was lost.

I'm not sure what the plan for the potential new movie is. Unless they make a three part movie with each part released a year apart, I don't see how a movie could possibly be made and be any good. How could you cram 1100 pages into 2 hours? The mini-series was 8 hours (with commercials), and it still skipped a bunch of stuff.

Totally this.

Speaking of Jurassic Park in the other thread... I saw a preview a few weeks back. Looks like a new JP movie, but looked like a very different take. Sam Neill is not the lead, it is Willem Defoe, and it looked like it was a lot more about the hunt (for the dinosaurs and a person) than the dinosaurs themselves. The look and feel were also wildly different. I didn't realize what it was until most of the way through the preview.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Speaking of Jurassic Park in the other thread... I saw a preview a few weeks back. Looks like a new JP movie, but looked like a very different take. Sam Neill is not the lead, it is Willem Defoe, and it looked like it was a lot more about the hunt (for the dinosaurs and a person) than the dinosaurs themselves. The look and feel were also wildly different. I didn't realize what it was until most of the way through the preview.

I believe what you saw was the presentation trailer made in order to sway the movie studio. I don't think principle filming has started on the movie yet

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I believe what you saw was the presentation trailer made in order to sway the movie studio. I don't think principle filming has started on the movie yet

Really? Pretty slick presentation then. Production values seemed fairly strong, and there was a lot of footage.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Really? Pretty slick presentation then. Production values seemed fairly strong, and there was a lot of footage.

I have seen a few, one was a trailer for a JP game that never got greenlighted,

http://screencrush.com/jurassic-park-4-trailer-rumor/

The video was removed, but it started with a few pterodactyls flying over a beach and going after people.

Other trailers are made with spliced parts from other movies

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
They need to quit f***ing around and put a Hobbit/LoTR sized budget behind The Dark Tower. No other Stephen King Property needs to be touched until that one is conquered

It would be more of a Harry Potter type project with 7 books (8 if you include The Wind Through the Keyhole).

The biggest problem is that they really have to sign on for the whole thing all at once and if the first movie doesn’t do well, it would crash and burn quick.

I’m not sure how much of a following the DT really has. There are people that have read almost everything by SK except the DT books.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
It would be more of a Harry Potter type project with 7 books (8 if you include The Wind Through the Keyhole).

The biggest problem is that they really have to sign on for the whole thing all at once and if the first movie doesn’t do well, it would crash and burn quick.

I’m not sure how much of a following the DT really has. There are people that have read almost everything by SK except the DT books.

I think it has a huge following, but you are right it would take a huge effort and it has to be done right