2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
All I care about is whether or not the phrase "Me Grimlock kick butt" appears in this transformers movie. If not it is an epic fail.

psst.......EPIC FAIL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as interested in the Dinobots as i am with Lockdown. The IGN review said his character is pretty dark

Lockdown, who just may be the best and most bada** baddie this franchise has ever seen, seeks Optimus for his own purposes and cares little for the safety of the insignificant humans.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/24/tra...tinction-review

that being said, i will wait until November to see this on Directv

Well, Transformers 4 is better than Transformers 3, maybe...barely.

This is one is at least 30 minutes too long, 10 product placements too many and suffers from one of the most incoherent scripts in recent sci fi memory, but the action and improvements in CGI almost make it worth it.

Stanley Tucci deserves 1/2 star alone for his performance. The movie would have been pretty hard to watch without him. And 1/2 star simply for not having a Victoria's Secret model muddle her way through a top-billed role.

But SNOWPIERCER, far and away, is the best new movie of the weekend, and it's not even close.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/26/snow...vans-weinstein/

Let me be clear, I'm not one of those knee-jerk Michael Bay haters. I'm not even against the Transformers movies. I thought the first one was kind of fun in an inane, unleash-your-inner-child, rock-'em-sock-'em way (Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon, less so). But Age of Extinction is lazy hackwork. It isn't just narratively incoherent. It's one of the tackiest and crassest blockbusters I've ever seen, wasting no opportunity to shamelessly plug products such as Bud Light, Chevy, and Beats by Dr. Dre. It doesn't even try to conceal its cynicism.

The American flags billowing in the wind and the film's Friday Night Lights bath of warm, Lone Star state sunlight signal to us that these are good people. But Bay doesn't let that stop him from tarting up Peltz in Daisy Dukes and creepily leering at her with his camera. As for her dad, well, all the semaphore in the world won't help you buy Wahlberg as either a Texan or the brainiac tinkerer he plays.

But enough about the puny humans. You didn't come to see them. You came to see giant sentient robots smack the snot out of one another and make crap blow up. And blow up it does. For the first hour, Bay's baroque orgy of ear-shredding, eye-dazzling destruction is impressive. Then you realize there's almost two hours left to go, and the movie becomes numbing, exhausting, and migraine-inducing. (A great missed opportunity: a scene in which one of the characters twists open a bottle of Excedrin.) Ultimately, Age of Extinction is an endless barrage of nonsense and noise. You almost don't even care who wins, just that it ends. Bay has said that this film will kick off a second trilogy of Transformers movies — and I think he's serious. That means there will be (at least) two more of these things. God help us all. D+

www.ew.com/movies/ (Chris Nashawaty)

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-...opening-weekend

Looks like the "China strategy" with Transformers 4 is already paying off nicely. Will end up around $95 million, setting the record in China for Opening Day ($38 million) and opening weekend, and probably beating the US/North America total, which is expected to be in the low 90's. Avatar's all-time is in sight, but I would expect the negative word of mouth to prevent that from happening.

On the other hand, there's no way this picture's going to make it to $1 billion.

UPDATE: U.S. total now predicted to be $102 million, so Chinese box office will be 2nd.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)

Looks like the "China strategy" with Transformers 4 is already paying off nicely. Will end up around $95 million, setting the record in China for Opening Day ($38 million) and opening weekend, and probably beating the US/North America total, which is expected to be in the low 90's. Avatar's all-time is in sight, but I would expect the negative word of mouth to prevent that from happening.

On the other hand, there's no way this picture's going to make it to $1 billion.

UPDATE: U.S. total now predicted to be $102 million, so Chinese box office will be 2nd.

Mercy. Didn't the grown men who grew up with Trannys, myself included, basically say no to these movies after a half hour of the first one? Who are these 100s of millions, I've never heard any of my peers say, "go check out Tranny3 bro. Epic"

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
Mercy. Didn't the grown men who grew up with Trannys, myself included, basically say no to these movies after a half hour of the first one? Who are these 100s of millions, I've never heard any of my peers say, "go check out Tranny3 bro. Epic"

It is stunning. I'm no movie snob but those movies are absolute trash. I really don't understand why anyone would continue to pay to see those in theaters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)

This is so sad...when crapfest rehash movies like this open huge and a relatively original SciFi project like Edge of Tomorrow bombs in comparison.

People deserve exactly what we end up with because we keep paying to watch crap unoriginal sequels instead of going to see an actual good movie, instead. Well, that doesn't apply to me, but it applies to most.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 06:50 AM)
This is so sad...when crapfest rehash movies like this open huge and a relatively original SciFi project like Edge of Tomorrow bombs in comparison.

People deserve exactly what we end up with because we keep paying to watch crap unoriginal sequels instead of going to see an actual good movie, instead. Well, that doesn't apply to me, but it applies to most.

A lot of this has to do with the relative failure of Oblivion and sci fi burnout from a slew of disappointing ones...like Prometheus, Star Trek sequel, Pacific Rim (in the U.S.), a horrid remake of Total Recall, Elysium, the list goes on and on.

So, in honor of GOOD movies, my Top Ten list so far in 2014, and some others to check out

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2) The Grand Budapest Hotel

3) Snowpiercer

4) X-Men

5) The Lego Movie

6) The Raid 2 (or, if you want a lesser but similar movie, Brick Mansions, Paul Walker's final movie)

7) The Normal Heart (HBO movie, but a very very good one about the first three years of AIDS crisis)

8) Chef

9) Boyhood (Richard Linklater)

10) tie The Immigrant and Locke (Tom Hardy)

Honorable Mention: The Edge of Tomorrow, Blue Ruin, Coherence, Foxcatcher, 22 Jump Street, Under the Skin, The Company You Keep

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)

Dude yea. I went to the drive-in in east Chicago with a girl a few weeks ago not knowing what was showing. Edge of tmrw was surprisingly badass IMO. I felt like I'd do the same things Cruise's character did.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
It is stunning. I'm no movie snob but those movies are absolute trash. I really don't understand why anyone would continue to pay to see those in theaters.

Whats not to understand? A lot of people probably enjoyed Transformers 4. Im sure there were a lot of people who were iffy on it but wanted to check it out anyways.

Starship Troopers is one of my all time favorite movies, im sure there are plenty of people who think that its "trash".

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
Whats not to understand? A lot of people probably enjoyed Transformers 4. Im sure there were a lot of people who were iffy on it but wanted to check it out anyways.

Starship Troopers is one of my all time favorite movies, im sure there are plenty of people who think that its "trash".

That movie pissed me off at the time because Denise Richards seemed like the only girl to not go nude in it. Thank God for Wild Things.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
That movie pissed me off at the time because Denise Richards seemed like the only girl to not go nude in it. Thank God for Wild Things.

Whatever happened to Neve Campbell, haha?

What was her name (the other main actress in SS)? Dina Meyer or something. I remember she used to appear on Beverly Hills 90210.

Starship Troopers has kind of become a cult classic over the years. Patrick Muldoon completely disappeared from the face of the earth after that one...and I can't remember the name of the guy who plays the hard-ass sergeant, but he's perfect in the role.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
What was her name (the other main actress in SS)? Dina Meyer or something. I remember she used to appear on Beverly Hills 90210.

Yes, she was hotter than Denise Richards in Starship Troopers

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Whatever happened to Neve Campbell, haha?

Starship Troopers has kind of become a cult classic over the years. Patrick Muldoon completely disappeared from the face of the earth after that one...and I can't remember the name of the guy who plays the hard-ass sergeant, but he's perfect in the role.

Sam Fisher, err...I mean Michael Ironside?

Locke is awesome

An 80 minute film about a building contract/cement pour supervisor driving on the M-6 in his car to a hospital while dealing with three life-altering crises at the same time on his car phone.

Tom Hardy makes this film work...and his imaginary deadbeat father in the backseat.

Such a simple, yet elegant film...100% dialogue-based, not a single bit of action. And yet compelling. Reminded me of Stephen Spielberg's very first film DUEL in its utter simplicity.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
Locke is awesome

An 80 minute film about a building contract/cement pour supervisor driving on the M-6 in his car to a hospital while dealing with three life-altering crises at the same time on his car phone.

Tom Hardy makes this film work...and his imaginary deadbeat father in the backseat.

Such a simple, yet elegant film...100% dialogue-based, not a single bit of action. And yet compelling. Reminded me of Stephen Spielberg's very first film DUEL in its utter simplicity.

Wow does this sound boring.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Wow does this sound boring.

And yet somehow it's not...it's close to compelling, in a way that sitting through 2 1/2 hours of Transformers 4 is exactly the opposite, both in terms of production budgets/CGI and the experience of feeling "wow, that was actually worth my time."

Locke has 132 positive reviews and 17 negs at RT.com

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/locke/#contentReviews

Someone else used the word "captivating." Compelling, same difference.

Edited by caulfield12

Have to check out LIFE ITSELF, the Roger Ebert documentary.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20831096,00.html

Didn't realize he met his wife Chaz in AA and that he was a recovering alcoholic...guess that just came out in the year after his death.

Life the reviewer, I grew up watching Siskel&Ebert At the Movies on WGN and enjoyed their performances.

Looks like Tammy will lose out to Transformers 4 this weekend.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 04:23 AM)
Have to check out LIFE ITSELF, the Roger Ebert documentary.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20831096,00.html

Didn't realize he met his wife Chaz in AA and that he was a recovering alcoholic...guess that just came out in the year after his death.

Life the reviewer, I grew up watching Siskel&Ebert At the Movies on WGN and enjoyed their performances.

Looks like Tammy will lose out to Transformers 4 this weekend.

I think the Melissa McCarthy craze is on the downhill. She hasn't done a good movie, by critics standards, since Bridesmaids.

I'll be watching Life Itself on demand in a few weeks.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I think the Melissa McCarthy craze is on the downhill. She hasn't done a good movie, by critics standards, since Bridesmaids.

I'll be watching Life Itself on demand in a few weeks.

She is awful. It is the same character over and over again. In small doses it can be kind of funny. In large doses it is awful. Identity Thief was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Tammy looks like the exact same movie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
She is awful. It is the same character over and over again. In small doses it can be kind of funny. In large doses it is awful. Identity Thief was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Tammy looks like the exact same movie.

Agreed on all accounts.

The Heat was ok actually.