2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Lucky. It's nowhere near me yet.

Seems like demand is picking up. Only in 2 theatres in chicago, but this week they have gradually increased showings each day.

Begin Again....nifty little indie film.

With Kiera Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, Adam Levine (Maroon 5) and Catherine Keener, Hailee Stanfield of True Grit fame

By the way, Ms. Knightley can really sing quite well...I thought it was dubbed over until I read more about it. Check out her six songs at youtube.com.

Sitting at a 80% approval rating at rottentomatoes.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
"Wish I Was Here" not getting good reviews but the ones I read seem to be the same. Melodramatic and nothing new. Still want to see it since I liked Garden State so much.

Is that the movie he largely funded through Kickstarter money?

I went to see Edge of Tomorrow today. First 20 minutes, I said "that makes no f***ing sense" 3 times. Then the next hour I was like "this is awesome!", followed up 3 Picard-esque WTFs towards the end. Just an up and down love/hate movie. So, a Tom Cruise movie.

But really, just throw the third Matrix, Tom Cruise, 50 First Dates, and a boat-load of money in to a blender and there you go. That's probably unfair because all of those things individually is pretty awful, but somehow it adds up to a decent flick.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
I went to see Edge of Tomorrow today. First 20 minutes, I said "that makes no f***ing sense" 3 times. Then the next hour I was like "this is awesome!", followed up 3 Picard-esque WTFs towards the end. Just an up and down love/hate movie. So, a Tom Cruise movie.

But really, just throw the third Matrix, Tom Cruise, 50 First Dates, and a boat-load of money in to a blender and there you go. That's probably unfair because all of those things individually is pretty awful, but somehow it adds up to a decent flick.

Then you have that Groundhog Day/Memento thing going on as well...it's to the point where it's getting a bit tiresome and then the movie takes off again in a different direction with Blunt and Cruise together on a Cormac McCarthy-esque apocalyptic journey.

Edited by caulfield12

I really liked Boyhood.

May resonate more with some than others. Seeing the predictable "okay but it WASN"T a masterpiece" reviews and "I wish it was something ELSE" reviews, because the only reason to watch something is to validate other peoples opinions of it.

Linklater's dialogue of younger people has always been incredibly realistic. So few movies focus on kids, and if they do they are props for the adults. Or when they are main characters they are given adult dialogue.

I liked it because he was effective in making me remember and feel what it was like at those points as a kid, but I could also appreciate in an adult lens again. It especially may hit home for those with single parents and remembering how "in it together" you were with them, which wears off when you move on from childhood.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
I really liked Boyhood.

May resonate more with some than others. Seeing the predictable "okay but it WASN"T a masterpiece" reviews and "I wish it was something ELSE" reviews, because the only reason to watch something is to validate other peoples opinions of it.

Linklater's dialogue of younger people has always been incredibly realistic. So few movies focus on kids, and if they do they are props for the adults. Or when they are main characters they are given adult dialogue.

I liked it because he was effective in making me remember and feel what it was like at those points as a kid, but I could also appreciate in an adult lens again. It especially may hit home for those with single parents and remembering how "in it together" you were with them, which wears off when you move on from childhood.

I want to see it but not very well at dealing with super long run times.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
I want to see it but not very well at dealing with super long run times.

Yeah it is long, and it isn't plot driven. There is no big-payoff.

For those type movies I prefer to force myself to go to theatre than at home, where I'll start playing with my phone and miss stuff.

Watch the Power of Few last night, and was horrified. It was like they took they worst of Crash and Do Da Right Thing and mashed up a movie. The best thing I can say is that Christopher Walken had a great bit part in it. Other than that, I am glad it was only an hour and a half long instead of two or two and a half hours.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
I actually really liked the first one and have been looking forward to this one.

I was disappointed in the first but liked the premise of being out during the Purge. And I had a free pass.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I really liked Boyhood.

Those movies, when they're done well, like Stand By Me and Super 8 to a lesser extent...tend to resonate for much longer.

Another one that hearkens back to childhood is The Tree of Life (Malick/Pitt/Chastain), but that one felt familiar more due to imagery/cinematography than any particular dialogue since my father was nothing like the Brad Pitt character.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Reviews are already starting to come out for Guardians of the Galaxy and they are really good so far. I can't wait to see it next week.

My predictions are ass backwards. Hercules getting good reviews, Lucy not so much.

Lots of pressure on Ant Mani, IMO, to not be the first Marvel POS.

Edited by Brian

I have to say I enjoyed immensely Dawn of the Planet of the Apes today at the matinee. I really did. If I had one possible complaint I'd say they might have been able to hack 10 minutes off the movie by cutting the action fight scenes just a bit. The fights were kind of cool, I'll admit, but 2 hrs 10 minutes is a bit long for a movie considering there's 15 minutes of coming attractions as well.

Did u guys like it? Really enjoyed it. I bought into the premise and didn't think it silly that the apes could communicate, etc. I really think it's what a movie going experience is about. Quite entertaining.

Edited by greg775