2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
Hey Kyle, so I don't have to dig through wikipedia, do you mind giving a real quick synopsis of what/who Ultron is? I would say I have a decent knowledge of the Marvel universe but I don't think really anything about Ultron. I'm guessing the one MCU movie I have not seen (IM3) shed some light on it though :lol:

One of Tony Starks creations that gains sentience( in the movie). In the comics, Hank Pym(ant man) created him

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
In the comics Ultron is an advanced AI built by Hank Pym (the first Ant-Man, will be played by Michael Douglas), though he brainwashed Pym into initially forgetting that he created him. He is genocidal because he believes that humanity is too chaotic to function in a peaceful world, thus need to be killed. Alternative versions of Ultron have him as a peace-keeping robot made by Pym, who again reaches the conclusion that humanity can't be peaceful.

In the movies he'll be made by Stark to replace SHIELD / the ending of IM3.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
One of Tony Starks creations that gains sentience( in the movie). In the comics, Hank Pym(ant man) created him

82606-nerd-alert-gif-Austin-Powers-tVhE.

P.S. Thanks

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
Am I the only one NOT in to these dozens of comic book movies that come out every year? Seems like every other movie that comes out is about superheroes. Feels like such a cash cow and some Hollywood big wigs are laughing at the amount of money they are raking in by s***ting out comic book movies every few months.

Just me?

Same here. I’ve never read any of the comics and have only watched a handful of the movies. Typically I’ll catch them when they are on TBS or FX. None of them are “must-watch” for me though.

I may eventually watch most of them but I’m pretty well resigned to the fact that I will perpetually be years behind everyone else.

I’ve had Man of Steel and The Amazing Spiderman on my DVR for months now. I did enjoy the Iron Man and X-men movies though. The couple of Batman movies I watched just confused me.

I’ve also seen the first 3 Spiderman movies (with Tobey Maguire) but not the 2 newer ones.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Same here. I’ve never read any of the comics and have only watched a handful of the movies. Typically I’ll catch them when they are on TBS or FX. None of them are “must-watch” for me though.

I may eventually watch most of them but I’m pretty well resigned to the fact that I will perpetually be years behind everyone else.

I’ve had Man of Steel and The Amazing Spiderman on my DVR for months now. I did enjoy the Iron Man and X-men movies though. The couple of Batman movies I watched just confused me.

I’ve also seen the first 3 Spiderman movies (with Tobey Maguire) but not the 2 newer ones.

I'm in the same category you are. I think The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and probably the 3rd Tobey Maguire spiderman were the only superhero movies I've ever seen in theater. Oh, and I saw Edward Norton's Hulk and some Superman movie like 8 years ago because it was part-2 of a Drive-In movie night.

I've never seen any Avengers, any Iron Man, any Xmen, and other comic book movie I can think of really. It's not that I refuse to, it's just that I won't spend the money to see them in theater, and I've never taken the time to watch them at home. I've caught pieces of various Iron Man movies on TV, and I'd watch it all the way through if someone wanted me to watch it with them, but I can always find something else to watch.

C'mon, nobody has seen The Punisher with Thomas Jane?

That might be one of the most low-key comic hero debuts ever...or Judge Dredd, not sure which.

Dredd (the recent one, not the character played by Sly Stallone in the Sandra Bullock/Wesley Snipes iteration) was quite the entertaining movie, but very few noticed it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
Am I the only one NOT in to these dozens of comic book movies that come out every year? Seems like every other movie that comes out is about superheroes. Feels like such a cash cow and some Hollywood big wigs are laughing at the amount of money they are raking in by s***ting out comic book movies every few months.

Just me?

I hate superhero movies.. The only 2 I have seen was the first Spiderman and The Hulk which was like 3 hours long and made not want to see one ever again (I was young)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)

That might be one of the most low-key comic hero debuts ever...or Judge Dredd, not sure which.

Dredd (the recent one, not the character played by Sly Stallone in the Sandra Bullock/Wesley Snipes iteration) was quite the entertaining movie, but very few noticed it.

Stalone, Bullock and Snipes were in Demolition Man. Dredd had Diane Lane and Rob Schneider.

I get those two movies mixed up too. ;)

also not the debut of the Punisher. I would like to forget it ever happened, but Dolph Lundgren was the first Frank Castle in the 90s

Dredd is one of my favorites. It's one of my favorite comics and they nailed it perfectly in that movie. I really hope they do a second one.

When I first watched the Avengers 2 trailer, I was somewhat underwhelmed. Why? I'm not sure, probably because I want this to be my most favorite movie ever. After realizing I had unrealistic expectations, the following 15 times I've watched it I've liked it better and better each time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
I have to go see Whiplash next week. Just reading too many good things.

Was reading ew.com and laughing at a reader commenting they only care about miles teller, shailene woodley, Joseph Gordon Levitt, sons of anarchy and the latest ya movies (hunger games, divergent, maze runner, etc.)

The idea that there was a conspiracy to force miles teller into superstardom made me lol a bit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Anyone have certain horror movies that they watch every year around this time?

I am gonna rent Trick or Treat this week, I have read it is pretty twisted

for me it is the Exorcist. I still think that is the best of the horror movies.

Saw St. Vincent over the weekend (Murray, McCarthy). Story arc was somewhat predictable, but still really enjoyed it. Murray was excellent, McCarthy was too (she's much more subdued here than you may be used to, so her humor goes a lot farther and just works better). Actually the actress who played Murray's lady was the best of the bunch. And the kid was good too. As a character study, I was impressed and entertained.

No great need to see it on the big screen, but as a stream or rental or whatever it is worth it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Saw St. Vincent over the weekend (Murray, McCarthy). Story arc was somewhat predictable, but still really enjoyed it. Murray was excellent, McCarthy was too (she's much more subdued here than you may be used to, so her humor goes a lot farther and just works better). Actually the actress who played Murray's lady was the best of the bunch. And the kid was good too. As a character study, I was impressed and entertained.

No great need to see it on the big screen, but as a stream or rental or whatever it is worth it.

Naomi Watts?

A Most Wanted Man 4 out of 5

Left Behind 1.75 out of 5 (that .75 is for Nicholas Cage somewhat "saving" the movie with an atypical straight man performance)

Annabelle 2.25 out of 5

Addicted 2.5 out of 5

Lucy 3.75 out of 5

Edited by caulfield12