2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Greyone @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
How many horror movies being released in that time, romantic comedies, dramas, we don't complain about all of them.

Not nearly enough horror movies. If we are currently having the golden age of comic book movies, we are going through the dark age of horror movies. Just nothing coming out, but awful ghost movies.

Hopefully that changes with Trick r Treat 2, new Halloween and new Friday the 13th movies.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Not nearly enough horror movies. If we are currently having the golden age of comic book movies, we are going through the dark age of horror movies. Just nothing coming out, but awful ghost movies.

Hopefully that changes with Trick r Treat 2, new Halloween and new Friday the 13th movies.

The found footage movies like Paranormal Activity have dragged it down. The conjuring was pretty creepy, Woman in Black was ok, Mama was terrible(even though it started out good. Once the reveal happened it was awful).

there is simply no creature horror movies anymore. When is the last merely decent werewolf movie? I know Universal is trying to create a monster connected universe with wolfman, mummy, frankenstein, and creature from the black lagoon, but I dont know how thats gonna go.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
The found footage movies like Paranormal Activity have dragged it down. The conjuring was pretty creepy, Woman in Black was ok, Mama was terrible(even though it started out good. Once the reveal happened it was awful).

there is simply no creature horror movies anymore. When is the last merely decent werewolf movie? I know Universal is trying to create a monster connected universe with wolfman, mummy, frankenstein, and creature from the black lagoon, but I dont know how thats gonna go.

They need to get back to having the iconic "bad guy".

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)

Paranormal Activity worked well the first time...considering the budget.

Blair Witch Project, too much hype and not enough "steak," but I can't remember the last time I desperately wanted to see a horror movie in the theatre when it came out.

Found footage is part of it....the "reality" based casts made up of mostly non-stars/B level teens...that's one of the reasons The Conjuring and Insidious worked pretty well, because of Patrick Wilson. But Annabelle was so terrible, I'm not sure I can stomach what they will do with The Conjuring 2.

Before that, the last really good horror movie I remember creating much of a buzz was THE RING.

The 80's were driven by Stephen King novels, Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers....there haven't been many (any, really) memorable villains, and no, I don't count The Saw franchise dude, although he's probably become the most iconic. Heck, Final Destination movies in the begin were almost more watchable than most horror movies.

Finally, a lot of the budgets are so low because they're looking for that $15-25 million opening day and then peetering off when the majority of under 30 somethings realize the movie isn't worth their money...especially the 3D upcharges.

The only answer is better scripts, better actors....more creativity. There's plenty of room in that genre. I could even live with another Tarantino/Rodriguez double feature the way things are going these days.

Remakes are also really popular right now in horror. Outside maybe a couple of them, they have been awful. They do make money though, so they are getting made.

If they are going to do remake movies. I'd like to see them go more in the direction they did with the Friday the 13th remake. It's kind of a remake, but not really. More of a reboot. Kept it pretty simple.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Fury was predictable but worth viewing...depending on your feelings for Pitt and LeBouf as actors.

Logan Lerman was excellent...in a role quite reminiscent to Kyle Davies' turn in Saving Private Ryan.

Jeremy Davies?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
speaking of bad remakes/reboots, I just read a plot synopsis of Terminator: Genisys

http://screenrant.com/terminator-5-genisys...-images-script/

aaaaand i am not interested

Jai Courtney sucks. So does that weird spelling of "genesis."

Both in Divergent (granted he was a villain) but also in the latest Die Hard...he almost single-handedly ruined that movie. This movie has bomb written all over it, and Arnie career desperation/last big payday role.

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/interstellar

Interstellar in the early going with 10 positives, 2 mixed and 1 negative...

Christopher Nolan is a merchant of awe, which is not to say he’'s always selling it at the right price, or that customer satisfaction is guaranteed 100 per cent of the time. Even by his standards, Interstellar is a wild leap of faith: an epic of science fiction which puts equal stress on both words.

The scientific basis of the movie, by a whisker Nolan’'s longest ever and certainly his most all-embracing, is challengingly dense, intricately explained, and remarkably codswallop-free. But what pulls you in is its hugely confident architecture as a piece of storytellin;– its brave fictitiousness. Nolan comes very close here, one might almost say agonisingly close, to forging his masterpiece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/fi...asterpiece.html

74% at Rotten Tomatoes...

23 positive, 8 negative

Meanwhile, Nightcrawler's at 90%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nightcrawler/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Must have been thinking about the Royals, lol.

That actor has kind of disappeared, unless he's on an obscure tv show.

He was in Justified for quite awhile, pretty damn good in there too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
speaking of bad remakes/reboots, I just read a plot synopsis of Terminator: Genisys

http://screenrant.com/terminator-5-genisys...-images-script/

aaaaand i am not interested

That's a shame.

I think I was the only person who liked T3 - I thought it was a pretty good end cap for the series, and in some ways was a superior movie to T2.

Never did see anything since T3, the Bale movies and all that.

But this is an empire where nothing has come close to touching the original film.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
That's a shame.

I think I was the only person who liked T3 - I thought it was a pretty good end cap for the series, and in some ways was a superior movie to T2.

Never did see anything since T3, the Bale movies and all that.

But this is an empire where nothing has come close to touching the original film.

I liked T3 too. Didn't think it was a great movie or anything but it was an entertaining action flick to me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I liked T3 too. Didn't think it was a great movie or anything but it was an entertaining action flick to me.

I liked T3 because it ended appropriately.

You cannot change the future, no matter how hard you try. Skynet was gonna take over regardless of what John Connor did

With Gone Girl, you're MUCH better off just reading the book.

Affleck was his smirky/cocky best, but somehow Rosamund Pike doesn't quite fit with him chemistry-wise. Maybe it's the British side of her...of course, she's supposed to be an East Coast/elitist type of personality.

Without all the supporting details of a book to work with, it turns into a CSI/NCIS/Law and Order paint by the numbers type of story...the characters of the parents and Neil Patrick Harris didn't have nearly enough time to develop richly enough. In the end, it all felt a bit rushed and it still took up almost 2 1/2 hours of screen time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:48 PM)
With Gone Girl, you're MUCH better off just reading the book.

Affleck was his smirky/cocky best, but somehow Rosamund Pike doesn't quite fit with him chemistry-wise. Maybe it's the British side of her...of course, she's supposed to be an East Coast/elitist type of personality.

Without all the supporting details of a book to work with, it turns into a CSI/NCIS/Law and Order paint by the numbers type of story...the characters of the parents and Neil Patrick Harris didn't have nearly enough time to develop richly enough. In the end, it all felt a bit rushed and it still took up almost 2 1/2 hours of screen time.

I don't know, I don't think she has the acting chops to pull it off. I have

never been impress with her work.

I tried to read the book and I hated the twilight last book of 2 different readers

for the major parts. maybe it was the person reading the book.

oops. I need to say this. with my health and stuff like that, I only listen to audiobooks.

that is how I get my fill of reading. I go thru a lot of books.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
We got another clip tonight during Agents of Shield, they gave us the "lifting the hammer" scene that was shown at comic-con. Probably on the youtubes but with this one go find it yourself

Might that have something to do with

the Thor 3 Ragnarok thing that was also a part of that press release? I'm not really smart in regards to comic book storylines, but that seems like it might be related.

also kat dennings

I'm more excited for Interstellar than I was for Bears Super Bowl XLI. Can't believe it's here this week already.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
I'm more excited for Interstellar than I was for Bears Super Bowl XLI. Can't believe it's here this week already.

Only getting 74% from early reviews on RT. Would like to see that percentage go up after the majority of reviews come out on Tues and Wed.