2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raid 2 is even better action (almost non-stop), although the plot's (and who goes for the story to this type of movie?) more compelling the first time around.

In addition, The Book of Life was a lot more fun than I expected...especially if you're at all interested in Mexican/Hispanic culture. Also caught up with How to Train Your Dragon 2, and even though it didn't measure up to the first one, it was still a very good animation movie and I missed out not seeing it in the theatre with IMAX/3D/surround-sound.

Finally, has anyone seen The Maze Runner? DVD or watch in a theatre? It just came out last week here in China. It's really weird the way that some movies arrive here (like Into the Storm) just because they're "action" movies, whereas most good dramas/comedies never see the light of day because of cultural differences.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 01:53 AM)
The Raid 2 is even better action (almost non-stop), although the plot's (and who goes for the story to this type of movie?) more compelling the first time around.

In addition, The Book of Life was a lot more fun than I expected...especially if you're at all interested in Mexican/Hispanic culture. Also caught up with How to Train Your Dragon 2, and even though it didn't measure up to the first one, it was still a very good animation movie and I missed out not seeing it in the theatre with IMAX/3D/surround-sound.

Finally, has anyone seen The Maze Runner? DVD or watch in a theatre? It just came out last week here in China. It's really weird the way that some movies arrive here (like Into the Storm) just because they're "action" movies, whereas most good dramas/comedies never see the light of day because of cultural differences.

Maze runner is a much better book than the movie. the book is way too long and

has too many sub stories going. the movie was ok. I really enjoy all the new faces

of young actors and actresses.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)

It is just an assault on your senses. I love how Gareth Evans directs the big fight scenes, Like the scene in the kitchen and in the first movie the scene with Rama and his brother vs the little mad dog. So brutal

And to your How to Train your Dragon comment, I am very much looking forward to the third movie. The 3d is so well done

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
It is just an assault on your senses. I love how Gareth Evans directs the big fight scenes, Like the scene in the kitchen and in the first movie the scene with Rama and his brother vs the little mad dog. So brutal

And to your How to Train your Dragon comment, I am very much looking forward to the third movie. The 3d is so well done

It's essentially Dolphin Tale 1/2 (two parallel stories of struggling to overcome disabilities), but much better than the "true life" story.

All the critics are making the same type of comments about John Wick (a new breed of action movies, transcending achievement, etc.), but it's unfortunate that Keanu Reeves is like a 1000 pound anchor tied around the neck of any movie he's associated with these days.

And yet Nightcrawler (sadly for good movie-making) still almost lost a battle with second week movie, OUIJA, which almost nobody likes except for teenagers and those who grew up with the board game.

Stonehearst Asylum 4/5 (awesome movie I'd never even heard of, Sturgess/Beckinsale/Ben Kingsley all very good)

John Wick 4.5/5 (you just have to see this movie, it's becoming a cult classic already...a mix of Taken, Man on Fire and Gladiator all rolled into one)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Nightcrawler with superb reviews, both RT and friends on social media.

I'll probably see it tomorrow. I know everyone here will be anticipating my thoughts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Nah, would rather you see John Wick, lol.

Or lose 30-40 pounds like Jake G and gauntly haunt SoxTalk.

Nightcrawler doesn't have that "event status" movie feel like Gone Girl or Interstellar...or, gasp, Hunger Games.

To be honest, I thought it looked kind of dumb in the previews, but with the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the movie, I'll probably see it sometime this weekend.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Nah, would rather you see John Wick, lol.

Or lose 30-40 pounds like Jake G and gauntly haunt SoxTalk.

Nightcrawler doesn't have that "event status" movie feel like Gone Girl or Interstellar...or, gasp, Hunger Games.

John Wick is only 90 mins? Not paying $8 plus popcorn/soda for 90 mins.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
John Wick is only 90 mins? Not paying $8 plus popcorn/soda for 90 mins.

Haha, by your argument, baseball should become twice as popular as basketball with games lasting nearly twice as long...of course, we've reached the point (with MLB) where consumers want "more for their money" but 3 1/2 - 4 hours is TOO much time "wasted" if you have a family.

As for me, I'd MUCH rather spend that money on John Wick, than, say....Gone Girl, because GG came in around 2 1/2 hours and could have been cut to 1:45 and it probably would have been a better movie. By trying to include a majority of elements of the book, the overall story got watered down somehow, because they still glossed over many elements of the book that were important/memorable to readers.

Regardless of their length, I'd happily spend that money for The Raid 1/2, John Wick and the majority of animated movies (How to Train Your Dragon 2 or even The Book of Life).