2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
I don't get the love for this franchise. I was not at all impressed by the first one.

I love both movies(and the Toy Story movies). But i am a kid at heart

The HtTyD movies are beautiful though, especially in 3D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
John Wick is only 90 mins? Not paying $8 plus popcorn/soda for 90 mins.

The fact it was 90 minutes is the reason why I went to see this movie over other options. I hate long movies.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Interstellar was good but not great. Really long and really lost me as it went along. Nolan needs to simplify things for jibronies like me.

Just try reading the source material by physics professor Kip Thorne...I think he teaches at Cal Tech. Black Holes and something or other is the name of the book.

I TRIED to read it, but English/History/Poly Sci people don't have much of a chance, although the book was supposed written for the "layman."

Interstellar was very good, but it felt at least 30 minutes too long. It was Nolan striving to do a great movie and coming up just short, but definitely swinging for the fences and not playing it safe.

Personally, I liked Inception more, but part of that was the cast.

I also feel that it got bogged down a little bit in terms of simplifying the physics involved while still telling a compelling story...whereas a movie like Gravity simply was action/excitement and the human dialogue/back story part was lacking.

Maybe this was the opposite...not quite enough action, too much set-up and back story. Still really enjoyable, even at around 2 hours and 45 minutes (meeting the Brian "value" threshold of a 2+ hour movie, haha). And it's a pretty intellectual movie...it makes you think and teases your brain as your try to follow the logic/sequencing of the movie, which is pretty linear compared to Inception but still dense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
Is this sarcasm?

maybe just a little bit. That origin story has only been told at least 5 seperate times since Tim Burtons batman premiered(Batman Begins, Gotham, multiple animated shows and now BvS)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
maybe just a little bit. That origin story has only been told at least 5 seperate times since Tim Burtons batman premiered(Batman Begins, Gotham, multiple animated shows and now BvS)

Ha, k good. I get that it was the guys prime motivation but I'm tired of seeing a new dough faced bruce wayne run that scene every movie iteration.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Ha, k good. I get that it was the guys prime motivation but I'm tired of seeing a new dough faced bruce wayne run that scene every movie iteration.

Exactly. And this Batman is supposed to be older, grizzled, mostly done with crimefighting batman. This flashback isnt needed, the character is established.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
So Batman vs Superman is going to visit a never-before-told backstory. We are going to find out exactly what happened to Bruce Waynes parents!

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-ba...ers-set-videos/

There is literally nothing that excites me about this movie.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of the great action movies of recent memory, damn shame it didn't garner the respect it deserves. Say what you will about Tom Cruise but dude knows what he's doing in action movies and this is no exception.

Edited by Kalapse

Oh and The Babadook is much more Jacob's Ladder psychological adventure than the *brief super loud noise* /got you to jump, movie that we've come to accept. Very cool film, the actual babadook doesn't make a lot of appearances but the sleep deprived, end of her whits mom puts on a show. Very solid.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
The first is classic. The 2nd looks awful and will wait to Redbox it.

I keep reading it is exactly what you think it would be. Funny gags, bad story, if you love the first you will probably love this one

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
Edge of Tomorrow is one of the great action movies of recent memory, damn shame it didn't garner the respect it deserves. Say what you will about Tom Cruise but dude knows what he's doing in action movies and this is no exception.

Eh. My wife and I watched this on Friday. It was ok, but I kept reading reviews like yours - one of the better action movies out in recent years, should have gotten more respect. I didn't see it. Entertaining, but nothing earth shattering. IMO it was on par with Oblivion, which again was fine, but not great.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)
Eh. My wife and I watched this on Friday. It was ok, but I kept reading reviews like yours - one of the better action movies out in recent years, should have gotten more respect. I didn't see it. Entertaining, but nothing earth shattering. IMO it was on par with Oblivion, which again was fine, but not great.

Edge of Tomorrow IMO is quite a bit better than Oblivion, unless you happen to have a crush on Olga Kurylenko.

Actually, the difference between her performance and Emily Blunt's "bad ass" female action turn are probably 50% of the reason for my Edge of Tomorrow preference.

Yes, the "Groundhog Day gimmick" reached the point of exasperation, but then the plot kicked into gear from there and moved forward.