2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)
Eh. My wife and I watched this on Friday. It was ok, but I kept reading reviews like yours - one of the better action movies out in recent years, should have gotten more respect. I didn't see it. Entertaining, but nothing earth shattering. IMO it was on par with Oblivion, which again was fine, but not great.

I turned it off once that weird monster thing showed up maybe 30 minutes in to the movie. Not for me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
Edge of Tomorrow is one of the great action movies of recent memory, damn shame it didn't garner the respect it deserves. Say what you will about Tom Cruise but dude knows what he's doing in action movies and this is no exception.

I just watched this Saturday night. I would agree. I thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in quite a while. I loved the concept, and it was very well done. I'd also agree about Cruise. He's excellent in this. Oh, and Emily Blunt's badass character was awesome.

I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Didn't think it was great but recommend it.

Kalapse is right. Tom Cruise knows how to pick movies. Too bad all people see is Scientology when they look at him. Emily Blunt is a great female action star. Surprised she hasn't been cast in the Marvel Universe yet.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:21 AM)
I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Didn't think it was great but recommend it.

Kalapse is right. Tom Cruise knows how to pick movies. Too bad all people see is Scientology when they look at him. Emily Blunt is a great female action star. Surprised she hasn't been cast in the Marvel Universe yet.

Pretty sure she was cast as Black Widow but had to back out due to another movie conflict

St. Vincent's a nice quiet little film.

If you like Bill Murray at his ornery best (think Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino), this one's for you.

Melissa McCarthy does well in an understated role, and Naomi Watts didn't need the fake Russian accent.

I'm pretty sure this was the acting debut of the kid who plays Oliver...he does a commendable job and holds his own.

This awards season is going to be a free-for-all. Foxcatcher's getting raves for Carell and Ruffalo's performances, but most non-critics who see it almost detest it and find it droll and mundane...when they're not being annoyed by Carell's heavy make-up to play DuPont.

Interstellar's just not quite clicking to the point where it becomes a best picture candidate.

Birdman's not being seen by enough to create a buzz.

Gone Girl and Nightcrawler are GOOD films but not Academy worthy, although Ben Affleck seems to be getting overpraised these days to make up for when he was down in the dumps with J-Lo.

Whiplash is attracting some fans...but enough to break out? Probably not.

Big Hero 6 and Frozen seem poised to fight it out for best animated picture.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
St. Vincent's a nice quiet little film.

If you like Bill Murray at his ornery best (think Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino), this one's for you.

Melissa McCarthy does well in an understated role, and Naomi Watts didn't need the fake Russian accent.

I'm pretty sure this was the acting debut of the kid who plays Oliver...he does a commendable job and holds his own.

This awards season is going to be a free-for-all. Foxcatcher's getting raves for Carell and Ruffalo's performances, but most non-critics who see it almost detest it and find it droll and mundane...when they're not being annoyed by Carell's heavy make-up to play DuPont.

Interstellar's just not quite clicking to the point where it becomes a best picture candidate.

Birdman's not being seen by enough to create a buzz.

Gone Girl and Nightcrawler are GOOD films but not Academy worthy, although Ben Affleck seems to be getting overpraised these days to make up for when he was down in the dumps with J-Lo.

Whiplash is attracting some fans...but enough to break out? Probably not.

Big Hero 6 and Frozen seem poised to fight it out for best animated picture.

Big Hero 6 and Frozen fall on the same voting year? That doesn't even seem possible, it seems like Frozen has been out forever

Moviegoers don't like "creepy" unless it's a serial killer/supervillain.

By all accounts, Gyllenhaal and Carell are very good in their respective performances, but not enough to move the box office meter.

Thinking back to Interstellar, it's just missing something "fun" and "engaging" that Inception had...a quality that kind of forced you to go along for the ride and think along with it. Whereas Interstellar kind of beats you over the head with these heavy topics like physics and love and sacrifice that resonate, but maybe not quite to the point of making you care (like Michael Caine when he's in the Batman universe). It made me think back to the movie Contact, and the debates between Matthew McConaughey and Jodie Foster's two main characters. I have a feeling if I revisited Contact again, I would prefer that. Maybe it's because Anne Hathaway annoyed me....along with the "cameo" surprise in the middle which is too distracting.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Big Hero 6 and Frozen fall on the same voting year? That doesn't even seem possible, it seems like Frozen has been out forever

Guess I was wrong.

Thanksgiving time a year ago.

It took until February/March to become a phenomenon here in China...with all the schoolchildren singing "Let It Go." I think I heard that song over the loudspeakers for 3-4 straight months.

The Lego Movie then...against Big Hero Six?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
Guess I was wrong.

Thanksgiving time a year ago.

It took until February/March to become a phenomenon here in China...with all the schoolchildren singing "Let It Go." I think I heard that song over the loudspeakers for 3-4 straight months.

The Lego Movie then...against Big Hero Six?

Lego movie, How to Train your dragon 2. And probably that last Studio Ghibli film(can't recall the name)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
The first 120 minutes of Interstellar were the best movie I've ever seen. Then it got weird.

B

But I want to see it again.

I was surprised at how weird it got it. It wasn't bad, just a little surprising.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
The first 120 minutes of Interstellar were the best movie I've ever seen. Then it got weird.

B

But I want to see it again.

Man, you are full of hyperbole when it comes to movies and TV. At no point during Interstellar did it ever cross my mind as one of the best in any way, let alone best movie I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Man, you are full of hyperbole when it comes to movies and TV. At no point during Interstellar did it ever cross my mind as one of the best in any way, let alone best movie I've ever seen.

I was absolutely eating it up the first 120 minutes. It was the perfect film for me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

Madden 25th was the best Madden ever made, until it became the worst most unplayable garbage.

Inception and his Batman films have SOME critics, but I'd take all of them over Interstellar.

Maybe even The Prestige and Memento.

That said, it was Nolan's version of The Fountain or perhaps Noah (Aronofsky).

It had the goal of being a great movie....incredibly ambitious undertaking....but came up just short in the end. I can't honestly say I ever thought it was great, though, or that I didn't look at my watch at least 10 times saying "wow, we're closing in on Titanic's 3:14 running time!"

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
Edge of Tomorrow is one of the great action movies of recent memory, damn shame it didn't garner the respect it deserves. Say what you will about Tom Cruise but dude knows what he's doing in action movies and this is no exception.

I'm in this camp as well. I was very surprised, in a good way.