2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 05:33 AM)
This looks awful. The guy they got to play Reese is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. Hope I am wrong. The CGI in 1991 looked better.

Seems unnecessary. But it's arnold and I love him so ok I'll see it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_2...0.html#30261552

Top 10 and Worst 5 movies of 2014 (Entertainment Weekly)

Agree with most of Top 10. Whiplash is my #1 right now with Snowpiercer close behind. Like Itself will be in my T10 as well. I'll release my Top 10 in Jan when I see all the candidates. I know everyone is waiting with bated breath. Ha.

I would never put a movie like "Let's Be Cops" in my worst list. It's not made for critical acclaim. I haven't seen it yet but I would rather put something that tried to be good but really failed in there.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 04:45 AM)
Agree with most of Top 10. Whiplash is my #1 right now with Snowpiercer close behind. Like Itself will be in my T10 as well. I'll release my Top 10 in Jan when I see all the candidates. I know everyone is waiting with bated breath. Ha.

I would never put a movie like "Let's Be Cops" in my worst list. It's not made for critical acclaim. I haven't seen it yet but I would rather put something that tried to be good but really failed in there.

Like Interstellar?

Interstellar definitely doesn't deserve to be one of the worst five movies.

No way.

That would be reserved for something like THE FOUNTAIN, which also had the intention of being an "amazing film" but ended up as nothing short of a debacle from a very talented film-maker.

I can't even agree about Nymphomaniac...since Von Trier is an easy target for critics, but the backlash is kind of ridiculous is you've watched the actual movie/s, which it seems the majority of people who comment online haven't.

Anyone following the Sony hack? So much egg on Sonys face, from the leak of movies like Fury and Annie, to ripping Angelie Jolie and Adam Sandler, the internal anger over the Spider-Man franchise and direction(as well as negotiations with Marvel). Every day something new

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Anyone following the Sony hack? So much egg on Sonys face, from the leak of movies like Fury and Annie, to ripping Angelie Jolie and Adam Sandler, the internal anger over the Spider-Man franchise and direction(as well as negotiations with Marvel). Every day something new

Probably not too smart after Maleficent did so well...and her husband's Fury leaked as well?

Not exactly that best idea to have Mr. and Mrs. Smith pissed off at you.

They are kind of the royal family of Hollywood right now.

LIFE ITSELF (Roger Ebert biopic) was excellent. Lots of cool tidbits for Chicagooans.

Halfway through The Maze Runner and liking it more than I thought, compared to The Giver and Insurgent.

$325-350 million for the next Bond (Spectre)? Just wow. Sony's taking hits right and left this week.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/gold...minations-2015/

Golden Globe nominations

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Never been a big Mad Max fan, but the latest preview for that reboot looks pretty damn fun.

Also, especially having daughters, I loved the preview for the new Pixar movie Inside Out. Looks fantastic.

I'm surprised feminists aren't all up in arms about how it stereotypes the genders.

Shoot me for posting about a film that won't be released until January 2015, but I am excited to see a Michael Mann movie back on the big screen. Highly respect his work and the trailer to this new film looks like classic 'Mann' all the way.

Blackhat:

QUOTE (Yoda @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Shoot me for posting about a film that won't be released until January 2015, but I am excited to see a Michael Mann movie back on the big screen. Highly respect his work and the trailer to this new film looks like classic 'Mann' all the way.

Blackhat:

Well, it's ok, January 2015 is only 19 days away. We forgive you

QUOTE (Yoda @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)

Blackhat:

it looks to be a real nice movie.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
I'm surprised feminists aren't all up in arms about how it stereotypes the genders.

I guess I don't see it, if you see what is really going on. Some of it on the surface yes, but the whole idea is there are dynamics behind each one, so you aren't just seeing that one "brain" behind each character.

I liked it.

Frank Jodorowsky's DUNE is WAY out there, but it's a must-see if you enjoy the "behind the scenes" part of Hollywood.

Amazing all the characters involved in this particular story, like David Carradine, Salvador Dali and his "muse" of all people. For all fans of artistic film-making, animation/storyboards, amateur cinematographers, etc.

What's more incredible is looking at some of his other work and imagining that this project was ever going to be greenlit by a major movie studio in Hollywood with a 10-12 hour running time.

The work behind the film, though, had a MAJOR impact on a generation of films that followed, especially Star Wars/Raiders of the Lost Ark/The Terminator/Blade Runner. Big influence on the Alien films is quite evident.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
I guess I don't see it, if you see what is really going on. Some of it on the surface yes, but the whole idea is there are dynamics behind each one, so you aren't just seeing that one "brain" behind each character.

I liked it.

Oh I enjoyed it too. But you have a woman and a man acting in stereotypical ways - the man is a big dumb moron that can't see what's right in front of him, and the woman is the overbearing/nagging one.

To me that's funny because by and large that stuff is true for each gender. But it IS a kids movie and it IS perpetuating stereotypes. Seems right up some feminist/liberal alley.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Downloads for the week:

The Maze Runner

Gone girl

nightcrawler

Nightcrawler isn't a great flick, but it's very watchable, mostly for Gylenhaal's performance.

If there was a dictionary definition of "creepy," his picture would be included. There's a part of him that's very earnest and eager to please, like someone who's watched 50 self-help videos, Tony Robbins and How to Win Friends and Influence People one too many times...but as the movie evolves, that part of him disappears.

It definitely makes your skin crawl a bit...in the sense that it's easy to imagine these same conversations happening behind the scenes with assignment editors and producers in the big markets where there's a significant amount of "inner city" crime spreading outwards into the suburbs and gated communities.