2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
What joke is that?

I haven’t kept up with the newer episodes but I catch the reruns on TBS all the time and have really enjoyed it the past few years.

I’ve only caught them sporadically but the shows Men At Work and Ground Floor seem pretty funny as well.

Men at Work is decent, I really liked Ground Floor. No idea if they're renewing it, though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
That long tracking shot on True Detective was classic.

It was an amazing achievement; very cool and artfully done. However (and I feel almost guilty mentioning this), as soon as I became aware of what the director was doing, my experience as a viewer was jarred; I started consciously watching for how they were doing things technically, instead of just watching the action as it unfolded. To that extent, it was almost a distraction; the director may have better served his story by not "showing off" like that.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
It was an amazing achievement; very cool and artfully done. However (and I feel almost guilty mentioning this), as soon as I became aware of what the director was doing, my experience as a viewer was jarred; I started consciously watching for how they were doing things technically, instead of just watching the action as it unfolded. To that extent, it was almost a distraction; the director may have better served his story by not "showing off" like that.

You're a total outlier. The average viewer wouldn't really pick up on that. I work in TV and have edited for years and I was so entirely consumed and enthralled by the scene that I didn't even realize it was continuous until someone brought it up to me the next day.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
You're a total outlier. The average viewer wouldn't really pick up on that. I work in TV and have edited for years and I was so entirely consumed and enthralled by the scene that I didn't even realize it was continuous until someone brought it up to me the next day.

Yeah now I'm trying to figure out which scene you guys are talking about...

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
Yeah now I'm trying to figure out which scene you guys are talking about...

The final scene of the show from the time they entered the drug den until they jumped in the car to escape was one shot

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
The final scene of the show from the time they entered the drug den until they jumped in the car to escape was one shot

I just watched this last night. I didn't notice the one long shot while I was watching it, but now I can look back and realize how well done it was.

You're right, of course. I only noticed it because I became obsessed with that type of shot after watching Goodfellas way back in the day.

The most impressive thing about a shot like that, is it takes every actor being pretty much perfect. There was what, at least 15-20 actors in that shot? MM and 3 bikers, about 5-6 people in the drug den including the kid, about 5 in the other house where the guys were pulling out the guns, the cops that rushed the house, and woody harrelson. Just an awesome scene, showing off or not.

Isn't it also possible that part of what makes a scene like that so consuming and enthralling is the way it's shot continuously like that, even if you're not consciously aware of it? I'm sure there's things going on all the time with editing, camera work and direction that I'm not conscious of but that really do make the scene more enjoyable.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
I know there's a lot of good tv on tonight but anyone watching the Beatles tribute?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I DVR'd it, and can't wait to see it.

I finally watched this last night... If you are fan of The Beatles, this is must watch material. There were a couple of bad performances (Annie Lennox was awful, as was Katy Perry), but a ton of REALLY excellent ones. Something by Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh and Dhani Harrison was just awesome. The Let it Be duet between Alicia Keys and John Legend was surprisingly good. The sets by Ringo and Paul were vintage and awesome.

The song list

ere are the performances that aired on the special, in chronological order:

Maroon 5

“All My Loving”

“Ticket to Ride”

Stevie Wonder

“We Can Work It Out”

Joe Walsh, Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison

“Something”

Ed Sheeran

“In My Life”

Keith Urban and John Mayer

“Don’t Let Me Down”

Katy Perry

“Yesterday”

Imagine Dragons

“Revolution” (acoustic)

Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne

“Hey Bulldog”

Eurythmics

“The Fool on the Hill”

Alicia Keys and John Legend

“Let It Be”

Pharrell Williams, Brad Paisley and Cirque du Soleil

“Here Comes the Sun”

Gary Clark Jr., Joe Walsh and Dave Grohl

“While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

Ringo Starr

“Matchbox”

“Boys”

“Yellow Submarine”

Paul McCartney

“Birthday”

“Get Back”

“I Saw Her Standing There”

“Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”

“With a Little Help from My Friends” (Ringo on vocals)

“Hey Jude” (Ringo on drums)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Something by Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh and Dhani Harrison was just awesome. The Let it Be duet between Alicia Keys and John Legend was surprisingly good. The sets by Ringo and Paul were vintage and awesome.

Those were my two favorites as well.