2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So was the guy shown in the last shot of True Detective supposed to be the same one depicted in the drawing in Rust's shed? (you know who I mean). That was my take, although he really didn't match or seem to fit the description.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Ragnar went for the three way, and ended where most men end up. Good to know it isn't different if you are the Earl.

Lol, "I hear it is quite common in other villages." Nice sell job.

I don't know much about Viking social practices, but aren't they giving women a little too much freedom and choice? Would his wife really been able to respond that way? Weren't Vikings all about life and death to the point that more babies (and sons in particular) = better for the Gods, regardless of personal relationships?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)

I don't know much about Viking social practices, but aren't they giving women a little too much freedom and choice? Would his wife really been able to respond that way? Weren't Vikings all about life and death to the point that more babies (and sons in particular) = better for the Gods, regardless of personal relationships?

Women actually had a lot more freedom than many other societies at that time. They had clearly defined roles and were not allowed to do many things, but when it came to personal freedoms they were fairly well respected.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I still watch it and generally enjoy it, but last night's Walking Dead may have been the worst episode of the entire series

The point they were trying to make in that episode was made early on little brother follows older brother around. Unless the two of them form some sort of relationship I do not see the point at all to that episode. There was no really back story learned there unless I missed something.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
I still watch it and generally enjoy it, but last night's Walking Dead may have been the worst episode of the entire series

The last two episodes have been kinda meh. Do we really need character development at this point in the show? The storyline is just going nowhere fast.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
So was the guy shown in the last shot of True Detective supposed to be the same one depicted in the drawing in Rust's shed? (you know who I mean). That was my take, although he really didn't match or seem to fit the description.

yes. the sunlight revealed his scars and when they met previously he had a beard that hid them.

don't know how to spoiler an image so didn't embed: http://i.imgur.com/Ee1Ea43.jpg (spoiler alert)

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

I couldn't tell if TD washed its hands of the intrigue over Marty's daughter or kept that story line warm on the backburner. Seems like there wouldn't be enough time to cover that in the last hour.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)

I'll be honest, I don't know a lot outside of the legends that Vikings came to north america around the year 1000. I have avoided reading up on it, so I don't ruin the series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
I'll be honest, I don't know a lot outside of the legends that Vikings came to north america around the year 1000. I have avoided reading up on it, so I don't ruin the series.

I believe the Vikings were the first (or one of the earliest recorded) society to outlaw/punish rape.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I believe the Vikings were the first (or one of the earliest recorded) society to outlaw/punish rape.

Related to Vikings, I'll always remember what my Middle Ages professor said in regards to what gave women the grounds to divorce their husbands:

1) Impotence

2) Catching your husband in the act

3) Bad breath

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
I couldn't tell if TD washed its hands of the intrigue over Marty's daughter or kept that story line warm on the backburner. Seems like there wouldn't be enough time to cover that in the last hour.

I think the story of his daughter will be resolved in the final episode.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I think the story of his daughter will be resolved in the final episode.

They spent an awful lot of time on Marty's relationship with his family if none of that really matters to the plot. I get that it was necessary for his character development but it would be a very odd choice to devote that much time to his family life in an 8 episode series if none of that really mattered much to the plot.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
So for those still watching HIMYM, the obvious implication of last night's episode is that the mother is dead at the time Ted is telling his kids about how he met her right? That just makes the entire premise of the show so freaking strange.

actually since he choked up telling the story to his wife, I was actually assuming he was sad his own mom missed his wedding......I might have to go back and watch it again.......

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
actually since he choked up telling the story to his wife, I was actually assuming he was sad his own mom missed his wedding......I might have to go back and watch it again.......

Yeah, the death angle has been rumored awhile but I got no implication of it Monday.

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)

Ya, that's what I got out of it.

Finally sat down and watched TD last night. I think this last episode is gonna be crazy, Rust seems like he has a death wish and Marty seems to have accepted that there is a very good chance he isnt gonna make it past whatever happens

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Justified was weird last night. Not sure why they needed to have an entire episode of Raylan running around trying to protect a random guy from Manny from Boardwalk Empire.

I have it on DVR. Bottle episode?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Justified was weird last night. Not sure why they needed to have an entire episode of Raylan running around trying to protect a random guy from Manny from Boardwalk Empire.

The actor that played Jean-Baptiste wanted out of the show early(didn't like the screen time he was getting or something)...but they had plans for him later in the season. The writers actually fell an episode story short because of this, so Yost had to create a quick story for Raylan to plod through to catch up to next weeks episode. Ava's and Boyd's stories were still pretty decent, and Raylans was aight.