2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
At least a third of AFfC was almost unreadable. I would have been pretty pissed if I had been waiting years for book number 4 and then that's what came out

I thought that the first time through since there were slow parts but going back through the series I liked it even more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I thought that the first time through since there were slow parts but going back through the series I liked it even more.

That could be true. I've never done a re-read but I plan to once a release date for WoW is announced.

Im glad I am waiting out reading the books. I want to read to fill in the blanks, but at the same time I dont want the disappointment you guys are feeling by not seeing certain things play out the way you expected

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Im glad I am waiting out reading the books. I want to read to fill in the blanks, but at the same time I dont want the disappointment you guys are feeling by not seeing certain things play out the way you expected

I'm a book reader, and I'm not disappointed at all. I think books 4 and 5 had a terrible pace to them and the show looks to improve upon that. The show has positive changes in content (like Arya and Tywin's conversations) and is starting to present content NOT in the books, like the stuff with the Others at the end of the last episode.

Reading the books enhances the experience, IMO, because you get so much more background information and historical details.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)

They are almost 2 different things as the show is an interpretation of the books. I fully recommend starting the books now depending on how fast you read because you are probably going to want to do a re-read at some point.

I've gone through almost 3 full times now and each time it gets better. Everyone s***s on book 4 and 5 because there were less wars and action but in reality the information presented is awesome.

Of course my favorite character is probably Arya so I like her arc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
They are almost 2 different things as the show is an interpretation of the books. I fully recommend starting the books now depending on how fast you read because you are probably going to want to do a re-read at some point.

I've gone through almost 3 full times now and each time it gets better. Everyone s***s on book 4 and 5 because there were less wars and action but in reality the information presented is awesome.

Of course my favorite character is probably Arya so I like her arc.

I've done pretty muc hthe same thing, book 4 was almost a chore to read after book 3. But the 2nd time through I picked up on a lot more and it wasn't nearly as "slow" as I remembered. Yes, there are things that get drawn out that make it tough for TV, but overall they really were good books. Book 5 was especially good imo, lots of new story lines that I liked quite a bit.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
At least a third of AFfC was almost unreadable. I would have been pretty pissed if I had been waiting years for book number 4 and then that's what came out

I lean this way as well. FfC and DwD aren't awful perse, but there's a lot of lulls. It's not because there are fewer battles and less action either, it's because a lot of stuff didn't really go anywhere useful (yet). CoK isn't exactly brimming with action and battles outside of the Blackwater sequence, but I had no issues with the pacing of that one. s*** didn't really start hitting the fan until halfway through SoS either. Now obviously there was still stuff going on, but that's my point.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
I've done pretty muc hthe same thing, book 4 was almost a chore to read after book 3. But the 2nd time through I picked up on a lot more and it wasn't nearly as "slow" as I remembered. Yes, there are things that get drawn out that make it tough for TV, but overall they really were good books. Book 5 was especially good imo, lots of new story lines that I liked quite a bit.

There is a combined reading chapter layout for books 4 & 5. Read it that way the second time, and it flowed so much better. I'd recommend doing that the first time, but there is a lot of characters to pay attention to and you might lose interest in one story if you have to read 6 ADWD chapters and 5 AFFC chapters before the text Tyrion chapter. But the flow is a lot better this way.

Every time I finish a book, I want to reread...and having the show back on just makes me want to read even more...

I've read the books twice. Feast and Dance are really poor. It's obvious Martin doesn't have a great plan and just keeps writing and writing. Arya and Barristan's chapters are good, but everything else is completely tedious. Martin really isn't a good writer, but the strength of the story carries him.

I would always recommend reading the books first, but the show has done a good job tightening up Martin's sloppiness.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I lean this way as well. FfC and DwD aren't awful perse, but there's a lot of lulls. It's not because there are fewer battles and less action either, it's because a lot of stuff didn't really go anywhere useful (yet). CoK isn't exactly brimming with action and battles outside of the Blackwater sequence, but I had no issues with the pacing of that one. s*** didn't really start hitting the fan until halfway through SoS either. Now obviously there was still stuff going on, but that's my point.

I agree with this. Martin throws up somewhat arbitrary obstacles to keep characters marking time until he gets to books 6 and 7. I liked 4 and 5 better than some and a lot less than others, but I think the writing and character development goes down significantly in books 4 and 5....

I also get extremely annoyed with Martin for his glacially slow writing pace. If he is concerned about the shows passing the books, then spend less time working on other projects and finish the freaking books!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Im gonna read the books after the show is over, then re watch the show to see how i feel. Right now, I just see too much disappointment in interpretation, I dont want to ruin it

Its just very different and you can see that some folks actually like the show better.

The books tell each chapter from the POV of a character and there is infinitely more character and plot development. Its just very different and there is no other way to put that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Im gonna read the books after the show is over, then re watch the show to see how i feel. Right now, I just see too much disappointment in interpretation, I dont want to ruin it

I hope that's not about me. I'm happy with 98% of the show and a lot of it is awesome. Some of this recent stuff is just bugging me slightly. I'm also obviously a bit concerned (that might even be too strong a word) about what happens when they pass the books.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I hope that's not about me. I'm happy with 98% of the show and a lot of it is awesome. Some of this recent stuff is just bugging me slightly. I'm also obviously a bit concerned (that might even be too strong a word) about what happens when they pass the books.

Well its a little bit you. And Rock, And Sonix.

It isnt a bad thing, i understand the difference between theater of the mind and putting it to a movie/tv show. I just dont want to be let down, you know? This show delivers on so many different levels, and me and my buddy have a lot of conversations during and after the show. I would hate for me to have to stifle that conversation because I knew something was coming.

This is the part when Steve comes in and cries about me ruining the Purple Wedding on facebook.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)

It isnt a bad thing, i understand the difference between theater of the mind and putting it to a movie/tv show. I just dont want to be let down, you know? This show delivers on so many different levels, and me and my buddy have a lot of conversations during and after the show. I would hate for me to have to stifle that conversation because I knew something was coming.

This is the part when Steve comes in and cries about me ruining the Purple Wedding on facebook.

Ha! Yes, it can be difficult for me to discuss the show with people that haven't read the books. I have the restraint, but I occasionally forget exactly when something happened in the book timeline.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)

Dont get me wrong, the show is awesome. I just love the books so much that I wish someone would replicate exactly what it is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)

I'm not in the least disappointed in the show. I thought the dragon kidnapping story line was stupid and there have been a few minor to mid-importance characters that have been unfortunately omitted, but I treat these are separate stories and love the show. I like the books more and would rather read the conclusion before seeing it, but the show has been an A+ for since the beginning

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Most here are probably too young to remember it, but this was a helluva good (and groundbreaking) show:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/showbiz/tv/h...s-oral-history/

My mom loved that show....I do remember watching it from time to time. Wasn't exactly must see tv for me but I did like the show.......

I heard there is going to be a new show called Gotham that is centered around a young Commish Gordon and how some of the villains came to become who they were. I'm not really a comic books guy, and I don't really follow Batman/Spiderman outside of the Hollywood movies, but the show sounds pretty interesting. And of course another reason I want to see it is because Donal Logue is a main character, and I love me some Donal Logue.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
I heard there is going to be a new show called Gotham that is centered around a young Commish Gordon and how some of the villains came to become who they were. I'm not really a comic books guy, and I don't really follow Batman/Spiderman outside of the Hollywood movies, but the show sounds pretty interesting. And of course another reason I want to see it is because Donal Logue is a main character, and I love me some Donal Logue.

Yeah Commissioner Gordon will be played by Ben MacKenzie who is from THe OC and Southland.