It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Seeing the Atlanta residents talk about their "snowpocalypse" is pretty funny. "All residents got out of work and school and got on the highway at the same time, and then there was SNOW and it was SLIPPERY!!"

Yeah, we call that rush hour here.

They were showing people sleeping on the floors of drug stores... for 2.5 inches of snow.

Alright, I understand that Atlanta is not prepared for inclement winter weather. But this is 4 inches of snow. That's not inclement winter weather, that can happen just about anywhere in the USA save SoCal, Hawaii and Florida.

And the city is in total chaos. Like I was embarrassed for Chicago when people got caught on US41 in what was a bad but not pants s***ting storm. But this is pathetic, is everyone in Atlanta a hopeless retard? How the f*** does this happen?

I dont fault the city for not having enough snow plows of salt. They dont need it. But there should have been some common sense in the governement, educational systems, and industry to close just about everything you can close when you are planning on getting snow.

They dont have the proper means to clear the snow or melt ice, and a huge majority of people that live there probably have never HAD to drive in snow.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
How do they not have a back up system ready though from a neighboring state? Pretty awful governance to basically throw up your hands and say "whelp! let's wait until it melts!"

What neighboring state is going to have a fleet of snowplows that they're going to drive hundreds of miles that wouldn't be dealing with their own snow issues?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
What neighboring state is going to have a fleet of snowplows that they're going to drive hundreds of miles that wouldn't be dealing with their own snow issues?

Bingo. Everywhere to their north has way more snow and cold so bad that the roads aren't melting.

So would Chicago handle a tropical storm well? Or an F1 tornado well?

Because Atlanta calls that "summer."

If you aren't used to typical weather conditions like that, you are going to be freaked out and unprepared. The s*** was turning to ice immediately and these people have no idea how to handle it.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Chicago never gets tornadoes?

Not nearly as often as southern states do.

That's not the primary point though. If you don't know how to deal with certain weather conditions, it's not reasonable for you to know how to handle it. This is true for anything. Yeah, I hear about 4 inches of snow and ice on the road and think "well, I have 4 inches of compacted snow on my STREET right now, so that sounds like nothing," but the fact is, it is a big deal for those people.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)

Then strike a deal with those neighboring states that you'll pay part of the cost for X amount of vehicles with the understanding that on the off chance that Atlanta gets snow, you're driving down there to take care of it. The answer shouldn't be they have no answer and people have to sit in their cars for 18 hours.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Not nearly as often as southern states do.

maybe not as many as Oklahoma, but more than most "deep south" states, including Georgia. Only seven states get more tornadoes annually than Illinois--we are at the tail-end of "Tornado Alley". Plus, an F1 is a weak-ass tornado.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cae/svrwx/tornadobystate.htm

but moving on...

That's not the primary point though. If you don't know how to deal with certain weather conditions, it's not reasonable for you to know how to handle it. This is true for anything. Yeah, I hear about 4 inches of snow and ice on the road and think "well, I have 4 inches of compacted snow on my STREET right now, so that sounds like nothing," but the fact is, it is a big deal for those people.

point well taken. Living in Illinois, I'm not exactly used to driving on mountain roads in inclement weather with snow chains. That would probably scare the s*** out of me, but a local driver would be fine. Hell, people in Chicago seem to forget how to drive if there's an inch of snow.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Then strike a deal with those neighboring states that you'll pay part of the cost for X amount of vehicles with the understanding that on the off chance that Atlanta gets snow, you're driving down there to take care of it. The answer shouldn't be they have no answer and people have to sit in their cars for 18 hours.

Who are they going to "strike a deal" with, though? Alabama? What if Huntsville has its own snow to deal with? Plus, Alabama isn't exactly going to be stocking up on plows themselves. Tennessee? Same thing. Chicago has hundreds of plows because we deal with this s*** multiple times every year. Atlanta and the neighboring states don't, and it'd be a huge resource sink to keep a fleet of snow plows ready and maintained with trained drivers. We don't build buildings in Illinois to California or Japan-level earthquake codes or Florida wind-loading codes because the extra resources aren't worth the rare chance.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

NO municipality is giving up their equipment to somewhere else when they have snow. Their own citizens would riot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Cars abandoned in Atlanta:

BG1_7480.JPG

Compared to cars abandoned in Chicago:

abandoned-cars-20110202-125510.jpg

Chicago is way, way worse, but there appears to be a pretty good layer of ice on the road in Atlanta.

Also, this is nothing compared to zombie outbreaks

The-walking-dead.jpg

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Y'all just don't get it. It's not the 2.5 inches of snow. The roads are complete ice. Making fun of Atlanta residents because their cars won't drive on ice is idiotic.

You can see it in the picture above. The semi's headlights are reflecting off the street. Asphalt doesn't reflect light.

Y'all just don't get it. It's not the 2.5 inches of snow. The roads are complete ice. Making fun of Atlanta residents because their cars won't drive on ice is idiotic.

Just get studded tires!

z_screw_tires1.jpg

That part of the country gets hits with ice worse than we usually get, and trying to drive on ice is horrible.

Ice was the cause of the one and only accident thus far. I was driving back to school over Thanksgiving break and we had some freezing rain, but I thought nothing of it. I was in the right lane and saw people slowing down up ahead. So I hit the brake - and nothing happened. I panicked and, rather than pumping, tried to steer the car onto the shoulder and into the ditch. Couldn't even turn my wheel. I eventually skidded off the right rear bumper with the driver side doors and brought the car to a halt.

Southerners like them have no problem making fun of us when we are driving on ice and living in sub zero temps.