Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I was at a game either last season or the season before where someone, I think on the Royals, hit one into the last section of the club level down the LF line.

Supposedly in BP, Barry Bonds hit one down the RF line in the upper deck that went into the last exit. Even roided up, that is quite a poke.

Is this the one you're thinking of? Justin Maxwell from the Astros.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v22185601/

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
.260 with 40 homers in this day and age? Two guys did that in all of baseball last year.

The problem there is the average. If he's hitting 40 HR and only hitting .260, he's striking out like 175 times to get there. The home runs and other extra base hits ought to keep his average up unless he's K-ing like crazy.

Again, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be an extremely valuable player...but that kind of average would put him in the Ryan Howard level.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
What the f*** catcher could possibly be brought in at this point? Chris Widger?

Yasmani Grandal from the Padres when Austin Hedges is ready.

JR Murphy or Gary Sanchez from Yankees because they signed McCann.

Jason Castro from Astros when Max Stassi is ready

Just a few names.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Yasmani Grandal from the Padres when Austin Hedges is ready.

JR Murphy or Gary Sanchez from Yankees because they signed McCann.

Jason Castro from Astros when Max Stassi is ready

Just a few names.

Nono of those guys are going to be ready in the next month.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
I keep seeing the bucket list comment. Please, if you love the White Sox and baseball to be an active message board poster, get yourself to spring training. If not now or next year, when?

It's been (I hear) the worst winter in 30+ years. Take some time off, book a flight to AZ, and come check out baseball paradise on earth. With the temps and weather we've been having (90+ this weekend), it's looking like the warmest nicest spring training in recent memory.

Get out of the artic cold, come out for some warm weather and baseball. It'll be worth it. Wanne and I have laid out a map of what to do and not to do to help you plan it and with all the advice you've got from other Sox fans who have done it in the past in this thread alone, you can make it happen.

Stay warm.

It’s on my bucket list too. When I can find a job that gives me PTO, I’ll have better chance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I was at a game either last season or the season before where someone, I think on the Royals, hit one into the last section of the club level down the LF line.

Supposedly in BP, Barry Bonds hit one down the RF line in the upper deck that went into the last exit. Even roided up, that is quite a poke.

Had a RF seat when Bonds played at the Cell one time. He hit a HR to RF that was the hardest hit ball ive ever seen. It was as if it had been shot out of a cannon.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Had a RF seat when Bonds played at the Cell one time. He hit a HR to RF that was the hardest hit ball ive ever seen. It was as if it had been shot out of a cannon.

I was at the game that Colon K'd Bonds in his first three ABs and then he hit one about 500 feet to RCF.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m

Avisail Garcia had in-grown toenail removed and will take tomorrow off; Keppinger's taking it easy in drills because right shoulder is sore.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 30m

Per Robin Ventura, #WhiteSox are monitoring Jeff Keppinger's shoulder. Plan to slow him down a little and build up his arm strength.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I was at the game that Colon K'd Bonds in his first three ABs and then he hit one about 500 feet to RCF.

I was at that game as well, I sat a few rows behind the Sox Bullpen. Rich Aurilia basically won it with a PH GS in the 9th, I had to look up who hit the GS but I knew somebody did. Colon was going good until the 9th.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I was at that game as well, I sat a few rows behind the Sox Bullpen. Rich Aurilia basically won it with a PH GS in the 9th, I had to look up who hit the GS but I knew somebody did. Colon was going good until the 9th.

I was in section 101 row 3, and the ball was hit about 10 rows over my head.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
I'd personally go with what they have, but if they can find someone available that's worth it for a guy like De Aza or Gillaspie, I have no problem with said move.

That's what they could do if available.

It's not time to trade real prospects for a catcher yet.

Edited by GreenSox

Just wanted to share these with some of you that had mentioned getting out and hiking some. This actually isn't too far to get to at all (Carefree Highway and 32nd St...it's Cave Creek Park. Takes us about half hour to get there). We did a 10.5-mile hike there yesterday and it was awesome. It might be for somebody that wants to do a nice hike...but get out away from the city and urban trails and experience some of the beautiful desert. Sorry to bore ya with desert pics and suck up bandwidth...but it's a great place to hike and pretty close to the city.

yw3u.jpg

5zv6.jpg

64mt.jpg

sdce.jpg

gxr0.jpg

vrll.jpg

7ar2.jpg

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
Just wanted to share these with some of you that had mentioned getting out and hiking some. This actually isn't too far to get to at all (Carefree Highway and 32nd St...it's Cave Creek Park. Takes us about half hour to get there). We did a 10.5-mile hike there yesterday and it was awesome. It might be for somebody that wants to do a nice hike...but get out away from the city and urban trails and experience some of the beautiful desert. Sorry to bore ya with desert pics and suck up bandwidth...but it's a great place to hike and pretty close to the city.

That is pretty amazing stuff!

If anyone who is going to ST this year feels they have the time, knowledge level, writing ability and interest... FutureSox would love to have someone scout a minor league game or two in AZ for us, maybe take some video. Send me a PM if you are interested. I can get the minor league schedules and details. None of the current writers have plans to get down there this year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)

Great pictures! Cave Creek was one of the spots my daughter and I hiked when we were at spring training 2 years ago. It was totally awesome and there was hardly anyone else there. A great experience.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)

Rondon on the list is interesting, he and Coats are the only guys on there who haven't played above Kannapolis/A. Sometimes these sorts of things are hints about how the org sees guys.