Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
There is Jacob May as well.

What is interesting, is that one of the lineup features the starters.

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

RF Garcia

DH Dunn

1B Abreu

LF Viciedo

3B Davidson

C Flowers

2B Beckham

Could this be the lineup March 31st? The only thing that sticks out to me is Davidson, who could start out in Charlotte.

I think you would prefer he doesn't.

That lineup is light years better than in years' past, but god it still sucks.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
There is Jacob May as well.

What is interesting, is that one of the lineup features the starters.

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

RF Garcia

DH Dunn

1B Abreu

LF Viciedo

3B Davidson

C Flowers

2B Beckham

Could this be the lineup March 31st? The only thing that sticks out to me is Davidson, who could start out in Charlotte.

I think I made this exact lineup my preferred lineup earlier in the offseason.

As for Gillaspie, I'd be trying to turn him into a guy that can play 2B. I don't see anything athletically or skill-wise missing, just has to learn double play footwork to be adequate enough to fill in there occasionally.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
I think I made this exact lineup my preferred lineup earlier in the offseason.

As for Gillaspie, I'd be trying to turn him into a guy that can play 2B. I don't see anything athletically or skill-wise missing, just has to learn double play footwork to be adequate enough to fill in there occasionally.

I agree completely. The adjustments are actually the same for both 3B and 2B regarding the calculation of WAR itself (both get +2.5 runs), but increasing versatility itself increases the utility of Gillaspie as a player himself, making him more valuable to both the Sox and other teams. And in some cases - Neil Walker is a good example - the player's defense actually is better at 2B because they have more time to get to the ball and it's a shorter throw.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/gordon...uture-white-sox

By now, you've probably heard Beckham's story: about his breakthrough rookie season in 2009, the huge expectations that followed, and his struggles at the plate that have prevented him from becoming the star he seemed destined to become.

"I'm kind if tired of talking about it. I kind of want to be about it," said Beckham, who showed flashes at the plate last season, but was dogged by injuries. It started with a broken hamate bone in his left wrist that cost him almost 2 months. Then there was a different wrist problem after the All-Star break, followed by a strained right quad that bothered him for the last six weeks of the season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
That lineup is light years better than in years' past, but god it still sucks.

that's pretty vague. what sucks about it? the fact that there are a bunch of unknowns? i don't think it gets much worse than the past 3-4 years, really since Dunn's arrival.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
that's pretty vague. what sucks about it? the fact that there are a bunch of unknowns? i don't think it gets much worse than the past 3-4 years, really since Dunn's arrival.

No, primarily because it's filled with players who are going to be mediocre to bad offensively. There's plenty of room to grow, and I expect a much better 2nd half, but just because something's been improved doesn't mean it still can't be bad, and frankly, that lineup will struggle to score runs still.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Beck is one of many minor leaguers I have my on this season. It's nice to have some exciting prospects in the system again.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...s-beck-thriving More about Beck and his off season conditioning program. All sounds very encouraging.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
Beck had a 11.4% K% in High-A last season. Even though the ERA looks nice, why exactly should we be excited about him?

Read the CSN article . He was on track to become a 1st round pick , spent too much time in the weight room, lost velocity , Sox took him in 2nd round. Now he say's he lost that weight room weight and the velocity is coming back to go along with 3 other pitches. He ended in year in AA and I think he helped the Barons win the Southern League championship. Yep he did http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...sp&sid=l111