Sox re-sign Gordo and De Aza 1 year each

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Looks like the Sox have 14 players signed at 73.425. So probably low 80's by opening day. Unless...

...the sox sign ERVIN SANTANA 4/100!!!!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
The B-R counter would put them at $86 not counting Abreu's signing bonus.

pfffft, the Sabermetric thread says that F counter is better than B-R counter

Looks like the Sox have 14 players signed at 73.425. So probably low 80's by opening day. Unless...

I include Abreu's entire signing bonus in 2014 payroll since that is when he actually gets the money.

I have 15 players signed for $88.975 million. 10 more players at or near rookie salaries puts it at about $94 million.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
I include Abreu's entire signing bonus in 2014 payroll since that is when he actually gets the money.

I have 15 players signed for $88.075 million. 8 more player at or near rookie salaries puts it at about $94 million.

Yeah, I was looking at B-R and I completely forgot about Abreu.

Mid-90's seems right.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)

Gordon has been rushed to the majors and as a result has had to learn and develop mostly at the major league level. The curve has been steep, but I think we are going to see that breakout year we've been waiting for from Gordo, if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
I would have let gordon walk, and I'm an optimist. No one would trade for that guy at that price. Its holding on to a losing hand at this point. I wish we would have used that money toward something else. I don't often say that.

What exactly are you buying in today's MLB for just over $4 million?

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)
I would have let gordon walk, and I'm an optimist. No one would trade for that guy at that price. Its holding on to a losing hand at this point. I wish we would have used that money toward something else. I don't often say that.

If he doesn't improve on this year's season, he's a 1 year stop-gap that Marcus Semien or Carlos Sanchez starts taking at-bats from in September.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Trading him in July might be in play too but Beckham would first have to break out.

If he were to "Break out" I think that makes trading him this July very unlikely, they'd want to keep playing him for now. If he had 1.5 good years, then maybe next summer that could be thought about if the team was still terrible around him.

If he struggles this year and just repeats his last year, I could see him being moved somewhere that has a 2b who gets hurt during the year and needs a cheap replacement they're not required to hold onto.