2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I feel like Bama is gonna end up on top again and everyone will be disappointed. I don't think 1 loss will kill them because Bo Wallace will have a 4 INT game vs someone

One loss doesn't kill them but they still have Auburn, A&M and Mississippi St (and @ LSU) on the schedule so they no longer have any margin of error. One more loss and they are done.

Rumors circling around Florida right now, not good.

For some reason whenever Illinois appears to start a coaching search there are higher profile jobs that just open. If I was ILL I would pounce now before Michigan, Florida and some of the others have openings.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)

For some reason whenever Illinois appears to start a coaching search there are higher profile jobs that just open. If I was ILL I would pounce now before Michigan, Florida and some of the others have openings.

Yeah, with the football job, I just don't think other openings will matter. This job is so toxic at the moment that they are going to need to reach deep to find anyone willing to jump at the job.

Best case scenario for the Illini is that someone sees Lunt as a top flight QB with the right coaching, thinks it can be a quick turnaround, and will jump at the job.

At this point, I'd be happy to have someone that can turn around the program for a couple years as a stepping stone to a top job. At least when that hypothetical coach left, the program would have some talent for the next guy...

I'm more worried about some school like West Virginia than Florida or Michigan.

Projecting the fired coaches: Kansas, Michigan, West Virginia, Iowa State, Hawaii, Idaho (how did anyone anyone give Paul Petrino a HC job), UNLV.

Don't see anyone else really that close. Maybe a surprise or 2. Maybe Colorado opens up. Gonna be interesting how the food chain ends up. Harbaugh going from nfl to Michigan is the best case scenario. Not sure who Florida goes after. West Virginia and Illinois would be in for similar candidates with them being the better job.

Coacheshotseat.com lists Saban as having the hottest seat. Okay.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)

Freshman QB Treon Harris, who replaced Driskel on Saturday, is "being investigated" in a "legal matter".

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
I'm more worried about some school like West Virginia than Florida or Michigan.

Projecting the fired coaches: Kansas, Michigan, West Virginia, Iowa State, Hawaii, Idaho (how did anyone anyone give Paul Petrino a HC job), UNLV.

Don't see anyone else really that close. Maybe a surprise or 2. Maybe Colorado opens up. Gonna be interesting how the food chain ends up. Harbaugh going from nfl to Michigan is the best case scenario. Not sure who Florida goes after. West Virginia and Illinois would be in for similar candidates with them being the better job.

Coacheshotseat.com lists Saban as having the hottest seat. Okay.

Counting on Michigan to have a good list for their search is giving them too much credit, but I still think ILL could get a jump on some serious candidates before the offseason and could make a really nice hire.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)

Echoing what others have said, for the Illinois football job teams like Michigan and Florida having openings just isn't relevant since they will not be recruiting from the same types of candidates. We need to avoid openings from other similarly tiered programs or have a program that is a higher tier but not seen as an elite job (like Texas A&M) not open up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Let me know if you need help with tickets. Can usually get tickets for unranked opponents at face value.

Miami could very well be ranked in 2017. And even if they are not, their name recognition might drive those prices up.

Miami could very well be ranked in 2017. And even if they are not, their name recognition might drive those prices up.

There will be six home games plus the Shamrock series game. Known home opponents so far for 2017 are Georgia, Miami, USC, NC State and Navy. Georgia and USC are going to be the highest demand games out of those five. There is also one more home ACC opponent yet to be announced, and there's a good chance that's going to be Florida State. Yes, I get that Miami has more name recognition than the standard MAC team, but I still think it will be a low demand game. Lots of faculty/staff will be selling off that game from their season tickets, and alumni who only requested Miami in the lottery as a backup plan but actually got Georgia/USC tickets will also be selling.

Nevermind, I saw your post about the match and didn't click the link, but after seeing Rock's post I just assumed he was saying SI screwed up and was talking about the University of Miami (FL). News about a team scheduling Miami of Ohio 3 years down the road is hardly news so that again made me think it was the one in Florida.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Beckman says that if Illinois wins out, they will have 9 wins. Good to know!

Bailey will compete with O'Toole for the starting job this week, guess that might be one positive thing.

That's a negative, now it wastes the red shirt year that he should have used last year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
That's a negative, now it wastes the red shirt year that he should have used last year.

That's why you have to fire him now, tell Cubit to work with O'Toole and save Bailey's RS.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Nevermind, I saw your post about the match and didn't click the link, but after seeing Rock's post I just assumed he was saying SI screwed up and was talking about the University of Miami (FL). News about a team scheduling Miami of Ohio 3 years down the road is hardly news so that again made me think it was the one in Florida.

Miami University vs University of Miami

One was a university before the other's city or state ever existed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
There will be six home games plus the Shamrock series game. Known home opponents so far for 2017 are Georgia, Miami, USC, NC State and Navy. Georgia and USC are going to be the highest demand games out of those five. There is also one more home ACC opponent yet to be announced, and there's a good chance that's going to be Florida State. Yes, I get that Miami has more name recognition than the standard MAC team, but I still think it will be a low demand game. Lots of faculty/staff will be selling off that game from their season tickets, and alumni who only requested Miami in the lottery as a backup plan but actually got Georgia/USC tickets will also be selling.

Miami has a huge Midwest/Chicago alumni base that doesn't travel very well at all. The Ohio alumni base is more interested in what Ohio state is doing.

Miami has a huge Midwest/Chicago alumni base that doesn't travel very well at all. The Ohio alumni base is more interested in what Ohio state is doing.

I was speaking from an ND standpoint. ND factuly/staff/alums will not have a high level of interest in this game and I shouldn't have problems getting tickets if you aren't able to get them through Miami.