2014-2015 NCAA football thread

I compare Illinois football to DePaul basketball. They can't even attract good in-state and Chicagoland kids anymore and are living in the past.

They need to build from within and stop looking for a miracle hire. Otherwise, any coach successful at Illinois is going to leave within a few years for a better job.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
I compare Illinois football to DePaul basketball. They can't even attract good in-state and Chicagoland kids anymore and are living in the past.

They need to build from within and stop looking for a miracle hire. Otherwise, any coach successful at Illinois is going to leave within a few years for a better job.

They got plenty of good in-state kids under Zook. Beckman's done a poor job with in state recruiting but it also isn't surprising nobody wants to play for him.

That isn't a bad comp at all. Glory days gone by for sure.

Build from within? I don't even know what that means. You need the right head coach to build ANYTHING. Haven't had that in a while.

Of course you aren't going to attract high level in-state kids if you win 1 BT game in 3 years. However, they have landed some good in-state kids this year (but who knows how that will shake out with the coaching change).

I don't understand the living in the past thing. Whatever guys, kick Illinois while they are down, pile on, whatever, if you hate Illinois that's fine with me. But there's no reasonable answer as to why they can't be Iowa level in the BT on a regular basis with the right coach, staff, and scheme (followed by recruiting by said coach).

In fact, any program in the BT can do that right now with those things. Look at Minnesota. Right hire, and they are respectable. The right coach built up the program there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
That isn't a bad comp at all. Glory days gone by for sure.

We were in the Rose bowl 6 years ago. Depaul has won 1 game in the NCAA tournament since 1991 (and only 4 appearances in that timeframe). That comparison sucks.

Illinois isn't a powerhouse, and we're on a bad streak, but we have a good history and with the right coaching staff and with support from the administration we could be right back into 6-8 win territory every year with the occasional B1G title run.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Build from within? I don't even know what that means. You need the right head coach to build ANYTHING. Haven't had that in a while.

Of course you aren't going to attract high level in-state kids if you win 1 BT game in 3 years. However, they have landed some good in-state kids this year (but who knows how that will shake out with the coaching change).

I don't understand the living in the past thing. Whatever guys, kick Illinois while they are down, pile on, whatever, if you hate Illinois that's fine with me. But there's no reasonable answer as to why they can't be Iowa level in the BT on a regular basis with the right coach, staff, and scheme (followed by recruiting by said coach).

In fact, any program in the BT can do that right now with those things. Look at Minnesota. Right hire, and they are respectable. The right coach built up the program there.

Yup, low goal should be Minnesota (around a 6-7 win annual team), high goal should be Wisconsin (annual bowls with a chance at a B1G title every other year or so).

We have to get to the Minnesota level first, and that is very possible. We have better instate talent, better exposure, etc/ We just need the support and right people in charge of getting us there. There's no reason why we can't get to the Minny/Iowa levels.

I think just the opposite of Illinois. They need to make their past a bigger deal. They should point to those "5 BANNERZ!!!". They had the greatest CFB player ever play at their school. There's also Dick Butkus, Kevin Hardy, Simeon Rice etc. This is a school that doesn't appreciate it's history at all. I realize it wouldn't be much more than a historical footnote now, and that's fine, but you would even realize Illinois had a history talking to just about anyone, fans or not. Not saying we should return to a national power even, but marketing sucks from making illinois look like anything but a doormat. That's even when we do win.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
I think just the opposite of Illinois. They need to make their past a bigger deal. They should point to those "5 BANNERZ!!!". They had the greatest CFB player ever play at their school. There's also Dick Butkus, Kevin Hardy, Simeon Rice etc. This is a school that doesn't appreciate it's history at all. I realize it wouldn't be much more than a historical footnote now, and that's fine, but you would even realize Illinois had a history talking to just about anyone, fans or not. Not saying we should return to a national power even, but marketing sucks from making illinois look like anything but a doormat. That's even when we do win.

Tebow didn't go to Illinois!!!!, but +1 for the IU dig.

I think its a horrible comparison actually. Illinois has had much more success and doesnt need kids from in state to be competitive.

Depaul basketball made their name but playing nobody all season and then losing early in teh tourney. They did getsoem good players from Chicago but they never palyed a real team durign the season.

100% agree with this. For whatever reason, the admin at Illinois does not like the football program. They've thrown some money at it, but not as much as they should. How does Butkus not have a statue? How is it that he and Rice and Hardy are not pimped non-stop at every game? And that sucks, because fans show up when they are a good team.

Illinois isn't a great program, but they have more BCS bowl bids than the majority of Big Ten teams. So, there's that at least. They've been too boom or bust in the last 20 years. Definitely need more consistency. But both Turner and Zook showed you recently that you CAN win if you can get quality players into the program.

Illinois should be a program that wins 7 games a year and makes a bowl 9 out of 10 years. Mike Thomas made a horrible mistake hiring Beckman. Beckman only took the job after he called Urban Meyer who told him he was crazy to turn the money down. Beckman hitched his wagon to Tim Banks this year who quite simply may be the worst DC the Big Ten has ever seen, numbers wise he is.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Illinois should be a program that wins 7 games a year and makes a bowl 9 out of 10 years. Mike Thomas made a horrible mistake hiring Beckman. Beckman only took the job after he called Urban Meyer who told him he was crazy to turn the money down. Beckman hitched his wagon to Tim Banks this year who quite simply may be the worst DC the Big Ten has ever seen, numbers wise he is.

I kind of understand keeping Banks, and only for the reason that I don't think any sane person would take that job. Unless you somehow performed a miracle you were giong to just stain your resume for a most likely 1 year gig.

That's not excusing the initial hire or keeping him after that first year. Banks has been terrible as has most of Beckman's hires. Even Cubit has been disappointing this year.

Watch it!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)

One benefit to a new coach is sometimes he builds excitement even without results. IU's recruiting under Wilson is light years better than it was before. Now, doing something with those recruits is a different story....

They need to find a up-and-coming coach that was a former player. Someone that knows the success of the past and can promote it to recruits.

Is there such a person out there? Maybe an ex-coach or player under a former head coach.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
They need to find a up-and-coming coach that was a former player. Someone that knows the success of the past and can promote it to recruits.

Is there such a person out there? Maybe an ex-coach or player under a former head coach.

The best candidates fitting that I can see are John Holecek, Loyola HS coach and Mike Bellamy, our WR coach. Neither is qualified. Another bad part about hiring terrible coach after terrible coach is the lack of a coaching tree. I like the idea though.

There's um, Mike Locksley who was a top assistant but quite possibly the worst head coach in cfb history.

I don't mind a guy who is from the area, can sell us as the state school. I like Babers in that regard, from his time at Eastern (which has to be the most bizarre hotbed for football out there). The aforementioned Fuentes coached at Illinois State as long with a lot of his staff. A message board poster claims we put out feelers to Sean Payton, lol.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I haven't seen anyone mention MSU's Pat Narduzzi for Illinois. He turned down UConn last year; A Big 10 job would be better than that gig, but as arguably the conference's top asst. I seriously wonder if Illinois would be attractive to him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)

People over complicate these things. They need to find a good coach and the rest will work itself out. It really is that simple. Now finding that good coach is more difficult at Illinois than at an Ohio State or USC because they aren't able to hire someone with an established track record of winning but it can be done.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I haven't seen anyone mention MSU's Pat Narduzzi for Illinois. He turned down UConn last year; A Big 10 job would be better than that gig, but as arguably the conference's top asst. I seriously wonder if Illinois would be attractive to him.

Tom Herman is another coordinator that is a HC candidate. So is Chris Ash.

OK, trying to find something to discuss aside from the next coach at Illinois. My projections for the playoffs/major bowls:

Sugar Bowl/Playoff: #1 Florida State (13-0) vs. #4 Michigan State (12-1)

Rose Bowl/Playoff: #2 Mississippi (12-1) vs. #3 Alabama (11-1)

Cotton Bowl: #5 Oklahoma (11-1) vs. #8 Notre Dame (11-1)

Orange Bowl: #6 Auburn (10-2) vs. Georgia Tech (10-3) [Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take an ACC team]

Fiesta Bowl: #7 Baylor (11-1) vs. #10 Oregon (11-2)

Peach Bowl: #9 TCU (11-1) vs. #12 East Carolina (11-1)

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)

Top jobs don't seem to offer other coordinators too often so yeah he's a great candidate. If he wants to remain in the B1G/Midwest then I guess why not Illinois. Still could get a better offer though certainly.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
OK, trying to find something to discuss aside from the next coach at Illinois. My projections for the playoffs/major bowls:

Orange Bowl: #6 Auburn (10-2) vs. Georgia Tech (10-3) [Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take an ACC team]

I'm not even gonna bother, my guess is while FSU may be undefeated, the rest of those teams are gonna end up with 2 losses. ole Miss is not going to end up 12-1.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
People over complicate these things. They need to find a good coach and the rest will work itself out. It really is that simple. Now finding that good coach is more difficult at Illinois than at an Ohio State or USC because they aren't able to hire someone with an established track record of winning but it can be done.

Exactly. Find a guy. A good coach will overachieve slightly and move the needle with the talent he has, and that will start to attract more recruits, etc.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)

Baylor has a much easier road than most of the teams you have above them.