2014-2015 NCAA football thread

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, you do realize that there are interpretation/case manuals for all sports officials, right? Training and video review etc? This is amateur lawyering at its finest.

What exactly is your officiating background besides reading a rule book once?

Attending several HS and a few college rules meetings with coaches and officials.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 11:50 PM)
OK, nobody ever gets to complain about ND getting all the calls after that.

This is hilarious. It was the most obvious OPI possible. I was watching the game with two die-hard ND fans who are often irrational and they were extremely dejected afterwards because even they knew it was the correct call.

I love that ND's gift opening TD goes unmentioned too. Phantom face mask call. Awful spot on 3rd down to give them a first. Phantom DPI in the end zone to set up first and goal. But forget all that, everyone is and was and always will be out to get ND.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
The call was right. It just should've been overlooked in that situation. Let the players decide the game.

If it's the right call it shouldn't have been overlooked. Period.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
I read the rule plenty of times before last night, but I reread it last night, and based on that and the field level angle I'm 100% certain that Mike is incorrect.

What about the ACC commissioner? He's wrong too? Even noted homers Mike Golic and Lou Holtz have defended the call. But they're also wrong?

As was pointed out earlier if the ball is thrown behind the LOS it is not a penalty. Not sure if that was supposed to be the route but that is how the play is designed to be run.

The offensive players can not block down field if the ball is passed beyond the LOS.

As Illini also posted there are manuals and case books that assist in understanding that situation.

That would not be categorized as a pick play as neither receiver impeded the defender, they were blocking them.

As was pointed out earlier if the ball is thrown behind the LOS it is not a penalty. Not sure if that was supposed to be the route but that is how the play is designed to be run.

The offensive players can not block down field if the ball is passed beyond the LOS.

As Illini also posted there are manuals and case books that assist in understanding that situation.

That would not be categorized as a pick play as neither receiver impeded the defender, they were blocking them.

How is it blocking by the offensive player when the defensive player initiates contact?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
This is hilarious. It was the most obvious OPI possible. I was watching the game with two die-hard ND fans who are often irrational and they were extremely dejected afterwards because even they knew it was the correct call.

I love that ND's gift opening TD goes unmentioned too. Phantom face mask call. Awful spot on 3rd down to give them a first. Phantom DPI in the end zone to set up first and goal. But forget all that, everyone is and was and always will be out to get ND.

If it's the right call it shouldn't have been overlooked. Period.

Good summary, however you forgot to add that on the play that went for the first TD, they ran a pick there that didn't get called.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
How is it blocking by the offensive player when the defensive player initiates contact?

Yes, bull rushing the defender and running into him to block is "initiating contact."

Either one of those guys could have been called for PI.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Good summary, however you forgot to add that on the play that went for the first TD, they ran a pick there that didn't get called.

Yes, bull rushing the defender and running into him to block is "initiating contact."

Either one of those guys could have been called for PI.

I cant believe this is still going on 2 days later.

Alright, I'm issuing a warning. The ND argument is done. On both sides. Its over. Its been two days, give it a rest. Everyone has had plenty of time to chat through their opinions. Any future posts on the matter will be removed and warnings / suspensions issued.

Alright, I'm issuing a warning. The ND argument is done. On both sides. Its over. Its been two days, give it a rest. Everyone has had plenty of time to chat through their opinions. Any future posts on the matter will be removed and warnings / suspensions issued.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the warning always gets issued right after the anti-ND side gets in another jab before I can respond.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the warning always gets issued right after the anti-ND side gets in another jab before I can respond.

He's actually a ND fan so I assure you that it is just coincidence.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)

I am a Notre Dame fan. Killed me that we lost a game which we outplayed them most of the game (especially in the first half). That said, I tip my cap to Winston for getting hot and just dominating our defense in the 2nd half (and they did out play us in the 2nd half, just not as greatly as we outplayed them in the 1st half). I'm ending the argument because everyone has had ample opportunities to debate their point and at this point, it is time for everyone to move on to further discussion (vs. beating a dead horse further dead). Everyone has had ample discussion on the issue, now it is time to move on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
I am a Notre Dame fan. Killed me that we lost a game which we outplayed them most of the game (especially in the first half). That said, I tip my cap to Winston for getting hot and just dominating our defense in the 2nd half (and they did out play us in the 2nd half, just not as greatly as we outplayed them in the 1st half). I'm ending the argument because everyone has had ample opportunities to debate their point and at this point, it is time for everyone to move on to further discussion (vs. beating a dead horse further dead). Everyone has had ample discussion on the issue, now it is time to move on.

Not the same argument as the ban warning one:

I came away much more impressed with ND than FSU, I was saying to the guys I was watching with that I want no part of ND. Winston played fantastic about the same time ND finally wore down and ND still almost pulled out a prime time victory on the road at a really hostile stadium.

I came away much more impressed with ND than FSU, I was saying to the guys I was watching with that I want no part of ND. Winston played fantastic about the same time ND finally wore down and ND still almost pulled out a prime time victory on the road at a really hostile stadium.

ND is losing only two starters on offense, one on defense, plus the kicker, and they get Russell and Williams back from suspension. Should be Top 5 preseason next year. Probably not good enough to beat Mississippi State, Alabama or Oregon this year. I waver back and forth between wanting them to get into the playoff that is almost impossible to win or going to the Orange Bowl and destroying Clemson.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)

Between that game & the Clemson & NC State games, it's pretty obvious this FSU team is nowhere near as good as last years. They will likely still make the final 4, but I sure as hell wouldn't pick them to win it all. (Plus, it's probably a 50/50 chance Winston is ineligible by January.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Between that game & the Clemson & NC State games, it's pretty obvious this FSU team is nowhere near as good as last years. They will likely still make the final 4, but I sure as hell wouldn't pick them to win it all. (Plus, it's probably a 50/50 chance Winston is ineligible by January.)

Oklahoma State had a decent shot against them as well.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
ND is losing only two starters on offense, one on defense, plus the kicker, and they get Russell and Williams back from suspension. Should be Top 5 preseason next year. Probably not good enough to beat Mississippi State, Alabama or Oregon this year. I waver back and forth between wanting them to get into the playoff that is almost impossible to win or going to the Orange Bowl and destroying Clemson.

Watch for Golson to go pro though. Seeing him listed as the #3 QB prospect by some draft experts.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)

I think Louisville can take them next Thursday. They got their stud WR back, and have maybe the 2nd best D in the country (Ole Miss D is sensational).

I think Louisville can take them next Thursday. They got their stud WR back, and have maybe the 2nd best D in the country (Ole Miss D is sensational).

Oh god, as much as I hate FSU, half of the people I see every day are Louisville fans and I don't know if I can handle all the "We beat them and you couldn't" that I would get, at least until November 22.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
He's not THAT good, at least not yet. He really needs another year. Another year under BK would do wonders for him.

I can't imagine a QB his size gets drafted early enough that it makes sense for Everett to leave for the pro game. He has become a pretty accurate passer though and just an overall good reader of the defense. He clearly has to work on cleaning up his handling of the football, especially when he's running, etc. Plus how he handled his off the field issues and how much he developed while away from the game, is impressive, and a positive indicator if I'm an NFL scout regarding his ability to work, overcome adversity, etc.