2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
They didn't play very "well" in the PSU game, they were just the luckier of two awful football teams. And the two games before that, they were routed, so I don't know how you can say they were playing their best football at the end of the year. The Minnesota game was the only one that gave them more credibility.

Let's also remember they were trailing in the 4th quarter in 11 of their 12 games, including all 3 non-BCS non-conference games. Given the 6-6 outcome, I think he earned another year, but my hopes aren't very high for 2015. I do agree with B>W, the best decision for Illinois football would be to find a new coach this year, but it's not always that simple.

That's why I put "well" in quotes. But they didn't luck into the win either. They deserved that win, as they deserved the win against Minnesota - a pretty good team - and NW. To me they improved in all phases basically over the course of the year. Special teams was actually decent all year, the offense was never great, but improved, and the defense also wasn't great, but improved.

I don't have much hope for the future, but I think Thomas is basically stuck with this decision. What kind of coach is going to accept a job at a lower tier Big Ten school with little recent success, taking over for a guy that got fired after getting to a bowl game? He's gone from zero wins in conference to 3. That sounds terrible, but at Illinois recently it really isn't.

I think this argument just goes back to realistic expectations at Illinois.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
That's why I put "well" in quotes. But they didn't luck into the win either. They deserved that win, as they deserved the win against Minnesota - a pretty good team - and NW. To me they improved in all phases basically over the course of the year. Special teams was actually decent all year, the offense was never great, but improved, and the defense also wasn't great, but improved.

I don't have much hope for the future, but I think Thomas is basically stuck with this decision. What kind of coach is going to accept a job at a lower tier Big Ten school with little recent success, taking over for a guy that got fired after getting to a bowl game? He's gone from zero wins in conference to 3. That sounds terrible, but at Illinois recently it really isn't.

I think this argument just goes back to realistic expectations at Illinois.

He didn't get to 6 wins by putting a better team on the field, and I think that's all that matters. I understand why he was brought back, but I still don't agree with it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
This is the more troubling issue:

#illini football attendance since 2009

2009: 59,545

2010 - 54,188

2011 - 49,548

2012 - 45,564

2013 - 43,787

2014 - 41,549

It really is too bad Illinois didn't have a competent AD in place in 2009 to fire Zook while the program still had a lot of talent. A new coach could have taken over, had a couple 8-4 type seasons right off the bat and actually had a chance to build a legit program at Illinois. Sigh.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
It really is too bad Illinois didn't have a competent AD in place in 2009 to fire Zook while the program still had a lot of talent. A new coach could have taken over, had a couple 8-4 type seasons right off the bat and actually had a chance to build a legit program at Illinois. Sigh.

Come, high profile coaches, to Illinois, where the unrealistic expectations of our fans just axed a coach 1 year from a BCS bowl. We'll be 100% behind you though!

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Come, high profile coaches, to Illinois, where the unrealistic expectations of our fans just axed a coach 1 year from a BCS bowl. We'll be 100% behind you though!

Zook followed up the BCS bowl with 2 under .500 seasons in a row including a 3-9 season where 7 of the 9 losses were by double figures and the only game where the team was competitive in the first 7 games of the season was in a win against Illinois St. Pretty sure my expectations for Illinois football are perfectly realistic.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
Where are you getting this from?

Its been reported by multiple people so far without it being "official" I guess there could be changes.

And we dont hate Frost, he's just been a coordinator ONE year, thats the type of HC jobs that are usually available in MAC level hirings.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
Its been reported by multiple people so far without it being "official" I guess there could be changes.

And we dont hate Frost, he's just been a coordinator ONE year, thats the type of HC jobs that are usually available in MAC level hirings.

2 years?

I think it would be a good hire. Nubs clearly wanted someone who would make Nebraska their dream job for years.

Never underestimate the alumni's love for a true son.

It might not work out but that's why you don't make change for change's sake.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
2 years?

I think it would be a good hire. Nubs clearly wanted someone who would make Nebraska their dream job for years.

Never underestimate the alumni's love for a true son.

It might not work out but that's why you don't make change for change's sake.

What is 2 years? He's been an OC for one year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
He was named OC after Kelley left. Are you not counting this year as a year?

Yeah, my bad. The offense hasnt changed or improved or really anything since he was name OC. Its just a very vanilla hire that is kind of below what you would think from Nebraska. I understand its not official yet so maybe its just a really good rumor.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Yeah, my bad. The offense hasnt changed or improved or really anything since he was name OC. Its just a very vanilla hire that is kind of below what you would think from Nebraska. I understand its not official yet so maybe its just a really good rumor.

Similar to Fitz to NU hoping I know the program expectations are different but you got a home spun guy that can use that to sell the program a little more which I think Nebraska needs to do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)

They were a top 5 offense before he took over, and they are still a top 5 offense. What was he supposed to do, average 600 yards/game? The fact that he is been learning and running that offense is huge, he can bring that to Nebraska and it might help excite new recruits.

I like it better than just throwing money at the latest mid-major flavor of the month.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
He's a top assistant on a top program with a connection to Nebraska. I have a hard time imagining anyone from Nebraska thinking hiring an Oregon assistant as "vanilla".

I wouldnt consider hiring a short time OC from a program a good hire. Top tier programs are supposed to hire proven commodities, at least with some HC experience.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
They were a top 5 offense before he took over, and they are still a top 5 offense. What was he supposed to do, average 600 yards/game? The fact that he is been learning and running that offense is huge, he can bring that to Nebraska and it might help excite new recruits.

I like it better than just throwing money at the latest mid-major flavor of the month.

Im saying it should be a question mark on whether he actually had anything to do with the offense in general. It seems to be on auto pilot especially when driven by the next Heisman trophy winner.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 2m2 minutes ago

Brady Hoke has been told he is out as head coach at #Michigan, source just told @FoxSports

Worst kept secret of all time. Now the question is how mad will the fans be where its not their first or second choice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Worst kept secret of all time. Now the question is how mad will the fans be where its not their first or second choice.

You're referring to Harbaugh, I presume?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
You're referring to Harbaugh, I presume?

And Miles, according to a few articles today they are off the table.

I have enjoyed reading all the saved tweets from a year and more ago about the future being bright under Hoke, who knew a career .500 coach would end up not being a good hire?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
I wouldnt consider hiring a short time OC from a program a good hire. Top tier programs are supposed to hire proven commodities, at least with some HC experience.

Doesn't this answer your own question?